Sponsored by:

Upgrade: Start Loving your Bose

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:39 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
Did anyone end up replacing the center channel Bose with Burmester? if so was it worth it?
I think a lot of people just disconnected that speaker, myself included, it deffinitely helps with tightening up the soundstage
Old 12-05-2019, 11:21 AM
ducktails
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 189 Posts

Disclaimer: I think I read this thread pretty thoroughly, but there's a lot of content here... and, I came here referred from another post about upgrading the base system (not the BOSE), after seeing Burmeister parts listed on Suncoast. It looks like just switching out the tweeters won't really do it - for Base it looks like basically every component (amp/PCM, tweeters, door speakers, even the wiring) would need to be changed and a subwoofer added? It would be cool to hear any success stories on upgrading/overhauling the Base system especially if they don't require major surgery...
Old 12-05-2019, 01:25 PM
CarreraJimmy
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Ducktails,

I bought my 991.1 with a base stereo at the beginning of the year with the goal of overhauling the system. In the end, I replaced all factory speakers and amps with the Musicar tweeters, Dynaudio 8s and 4s in the doors, and Audison 3.5s in the rear all powered by a compact JL 8 channel amp mounted in the frame under the passenger seat. I also have an 8 in sub mounted on the parcel shelf and a mono amp under the driver's seat. It sounds amazing, but was much more intensive and costly than I first imagined.

I spent a lot of time and money considering vendors and options. I used a local guy here in Houston (originally considered a DIY but decided against in the end). For a variety of reasons, your best bet is to contact Musicar Nick and check out his packages. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. Happy to discuss.
The following users liked this post:
ducktails (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 02:09 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktails
Disclaimer: I think I read this thread pretty thoroughly, but there's a lot of content here... and, I came here referred from another post about upgrading the base system (not the BOSE), after seeing Burmeister parts listed on Suncoast. It looks like just switching out the tweeters won't really do it - for Base it looks like basically every component (amp/PCM, tweeters, door speakers, even the wiring) would need to be changed and a subwoofer added? It would be cool to hear any success stories on upgrading/overhauling the Base system especially if they don't require major surgery...
I find the base system in my 991.2 to be fine except that it is missing the 'twinkling highs' and subwoofer bass that I got out of the Harman-Kardon in my AMG. I bought a Burmeister tweeter off eBay as it's the easiest thing to swap out. Then I'll add an amplified underseat subwoofer to the shelf at the way back in my Targa and I think that will do it. Of course, very old ears so I am easy to please when it comes to Hi-Fi. Wait! DId I just say 'Hi-Fi'? See what I mean.
ducktails (12-05-2019)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:31 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Sorry if this was answered already but can the Burmester tweeters be upgraded with the base system?
Old 02-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Sorry if this was answered already but can the Burmester tweeters be upgraded with the base system?
Yes.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:35 PM
polobai
Drifting

Thanks pretty much plug them in and replace the grill with Burmester units and be done right?
Old 02-01-2020, 07:14 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

When upgrading the base system. What are other basic cost effective upgrades besides the Burmeister tweeters?

Not looking for great sound, just better ... on a budget.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:23 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShaunP
When upgrading the base system. What are other basic cost effective upgrades besides the Burmeister tweeters?

Not looking for great sound, just better ... on a budget.
With the base system, I think just adding an aftermarket amplifier would offer tons of improvement over stock. This is relatively easy to add on a BASE system car.

Something like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSCONI-ONE...ry!94107!US!-1

It will fit in the same place under the passenger side seat where the OEM amp resides. If you are handy with 12V electronics it's an afternoon project, but shouldn't be more than a couple hundred bucks in labor at any quality car stereo shop.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:39 PM
polobai
Drifting

Interesting. A couple questions regarding adding an amp to the base system-are the wires already ran to the area under the passenger seat for the signal wires, or will they need to be pulled from the pcm? I am assuming if so there is no amp on the base system and the speakers are ran directly off the head unit?
Old 02-02-2020, 09:15 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Interesting. A couple questions regarding adding an amp to the base system-are the wires already ran to the area under the passenger seat for the signal wires, or will they need to be pulled from the pcm? I am assuming if so there is no amp on the base system and the speakers are ran directly off the head unit?
There should be a small OEM amp there, AND there will most definitely be signal wires down there, you will need to find a a wiring diagram, I have the one for the BOSE system somewhere. This is what i did in my car, I built a harness that that plugged into the wiring of the car when I pulled out the BOSE amp.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:08 AM
polobai
Drifting

Thanks-just checked as I have the seats out and can’t see to locate an amp in the place it’s supposed to be on my car (under the passenger seat)...
Old 02-03-2020, 02:18 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=polobai;16395584]Thanks-just checked as I have the seats out and can’t see to locate an amp in the place it’s supposed to be on my car (under the passenger seat)...[/QUOT

Peel the carpet back underneath the passenger side seat, there is a compartment in there with electronics. The amplifier is in there.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:23 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks pretty much plug them in and replace the grill with Burmester units and be done right?
Pretty sure it’s a different connector as well.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:31 PM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks to Rennlisters, and Nick at MusicarNW, I am really starting to Love my Bose now!

When I ordered my '17 Macan with Burmester, that became the first car I had ever owned with a factory stereo that I found satisfactory. Not the best, but I was happy to avoid a complex and costly aftermarket solution. For me, the Bose in the Macan was decidedly not satisfactory.

This year shopping for a used 991.2 Turbo, I badly wanted to find a car with Burm to recreate that success. But I "settled" for one with a Bose, to get the color and other options I wanted. I was encouraged by the threads I found here about tweaking the Bose for improvements.

I've had the new car just 1 week, but I have already implemented the following Bose tweaks, all of which I learned about right here.

MusicarNW/Dynaudio tweeter upgrade, disconnect Bose center channel and dash-sub, run LC2i converter off of factory sub amp speaker level outs, add outboard JL Audio amp and 12" sub.

The combined results are all good news! For me, this is now a great stereo that I will not have any desire to upgrade further. Especially given the full and impactful bass of my new system, I like this system's sound better than my Macan's Burmester.

Last edited by Beezupra; 03-30-2020 at 12:46 AM.
browncf (10-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Upgrade: Start Loving your Bose