Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you don't have Jackpoint stands.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Default If you don't have Jackpoint stands.......

Where do you put the stands to lift only the rear of the car?

OK I know Jackpoint are the "creme de la creme", but don't have. I have two low rise Costco hydraulic floor jacks and two Hein-Werner 3 ton ratchet style stands. Minimum height 12"( work fine for my other 3 vehicles).

I've jacked my car up one corner at a time to remove wheels for spacers, cleaning etc using my floor jack(s). Never bothered with stands (foolishly). I jack from behind the front wheel & ahead of the back wheel in the provided spots.

Now using those points to jack from, where does one put the stand?

Many threads on this, but when it comes for the definitive answer, all the experts leave the room & threads goes dark.

If you know the answer please enlighten me. I do not want to hear Jackpoint
is my only option so don't bother posting..THX!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8502...nt-stands.html
Old 01-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

One more time I ask the question...no jackpoint stands on hand today....

Do you know the answer or not? Did you post just to see yourself in print?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:21 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Place the jackstands under the rear crossmember just inboard of the bolts holding the rear suspension arm to the crossmember. See the second picture in my brake pad replacement DIY. Jackpoints are for sissies! JK!
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...placement.html
Old 01-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtony
Place the jackstands under the rear crossmember just inboard of the bolts holding the rear suspension arm to the crossmember. See the second picture in my brake pad replacement DIY. Jackpoints are for sissies! JK!
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...placement.html
Two bolts in photo..one to the left & more towards the center?

Since I have two floor jacks I'll probably go back & forth to keep the front wheels mostly on the ground. In the past I did notice the front wheel came off the ground when jacking one side in the rear.

I haven't jacked the front up very high (only to get the wheel off). Does the
rear come off the ground like when jacking the rear?

THX!!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:55 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda

Since I have two floor jacks I'll probably go back & forth to keep the front wheels mostly on the ground. In the past I did notice the front wheel came off the ground when jacking one side in the rear.

THX!!
Just left of the bolt w/ the yellow marking.
Yes the rear does lift when using the front jackpoints.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:26 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda

THX!!
The picture is taken from the rear of the car. That is the passenger side. Place the jackstand just left of the bolt with the large washer with the yellow mark. On the driver side, place it just right of that same bolt.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:03 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Steve, Chock those front wheels first $ 15 a pair @ Amazon. T
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 77tony
Steve, Chock those front wheels first $ 15 a pair @ Amazon. T
Have some - yours look better...

Back to the jackstands....no doubt the Jackpoint product is good ($300 pr), however I find it interesting that Porsche no longer recommends any alternative center jacking points F & R on the 991 so stands could be placed in the designated spots in front of the rear wheels & in back of the front wheels.

I spoke to a P-dealer tech where I've taken my car for service & he told me the frame rail which runs front to rear under the car, between the wheels & just inside the the body rocker panels & outside the jacking points, would work too, as long as you stayed as close to the jacking points as possible.

In searching old posts on this forum & others - some have stated not a good plan & have actually bent those rails + some resulting in body damage. Maybe if one took a hockey puck & cut a slot to accept the thin rail would possibly solve this problem - might have to trim/thin it to fit also.

The Hein-Werner ratcheting stands I already have ($80 pr approx) have worked good on other cars & are a quality product IMO.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:48 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you mean something like this?

Amazon.com: Floor Jack Saddle Adapter for Rocker Panel Pinch Weld: Automotive Amazon.com: Floor Jack Saddle Adapter for Rocker Panel Pinch Weld: Automotive
Old 01-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kosmo
That looks useable for sure....the pinch rail on the 991 is part of the frame I'm almost certain.

Most vehicles w/pinch weld (rails) are made of thicker stuff than the P-car.

Good find!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:13 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,351 Likes on 1,524 Posts

At the risk of incurring some wrath, I have to ask - why not just put down the money for the Jackpoints? They are the best solution on the 991. Its a Hundred Thousand Dollar Car, what's $ 300 worth of hardware to lift it correctly and without damage? Jackpoint will even give you a discount being a Rennlist member though I can't recall how much it is. I was hesitant to order a set as well, I have at least (6) conventional jackstands and (2) floor jacks already....but like you I ran into the same issues. I didn't really want more stands to have to store (and the Jackpoints are not small). However since I bought them, the old jackstands are getting cobwebs on 'em and used only for my pickup truck now. I think they really are the solution to the problem on the 991.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:21 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
At the risk of incurring some wrath, I have to ask - why not just put down the money for the Jackpoints? They are the best solution on the 991. Its a Hundred Thousand Dollar Car, what's $ 300 worth of hardware to lift it correctly and without damage? Jackpoint will even give you a discount being a Rennlist member though I can't recall how much it is. I was hesitant to order a set as well, I have at least (6) conventional jackstands and (2) floor jacks already....but like you I ran into the same issues. I didn't really want more stands to have to store (and the Jackpoints are not small). However since I bought them, the old jackstands are getting cobwebs on 'em and used only for my pickup truck now. I think they really are the solution to the problem on the 991.
This coming from a guy who uses black plastic garbage bags as luggage?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just messing with you
Old 01-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'm mostly Norwegian, does that help?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:31 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,351 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Are Norwegians stubborn or cheap? Sorry but I don't know!

Quick Reply: If you don't have Jackpoint stands.......