Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you don't have Jackpoint stands.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015 | 11:06 AM
Duke I
Pro

JP,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. The reason for my inquiry is my car fell off my floor jack that I had carefully centered a hockey puck on the lift pad. It seemed clever to use the puck, but the jack did not reposition through the lift which I did not notice -- and the jack was on my concrete garage floor. Got a pucker on my rocker panel that a local porsche certified body shop made disappear -- remarkably so. Not worth the risk (especially to your person) if you are a DIY'er IMO.

Will order a set when you get them back in stock.
Old 01-11-2015 | 12:00 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

The jackpoint stands are great. The only reason I don't have a set is that you can't get the car high-enough (for me.) I do like the fact that they are made in America even if that means they cost more.

A not-quite-as-convenient alternative are liftbars. They're not free but you can get the car as high as your normal stands will allow and there's no jacking on anything other than factory-specified points.

I have the early versions for the 928s. I've ordered one set of the new ones that fit the wife's 981 and my on-order 991.
Old 01-11-2015 | 01:52 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duke I
JP,

Thanks for your detailed explanation. The reason for my inquiry is my car fell off my floor jack that I had carefully centered a hockey puck on the lift pad. It seemed clever to use the puck, but the jack did not reposition through the lift which I did not notice -- and the jack was on my concrete garage floor. Got a pucker on my rocker panel that a local porsche certified body shop made disappear -- remarkably so. Not worth the risk (especially to your person) if you are a DIY'er IMO.

Will order a set when you get them back in stock.
We noticed that same issue in early prototype testing at the track. The original pads had a flat bottom and would slide on the jack. That is also why we recommend a 3.5" minimum diameter lift plate on the saddle - so it can't slide off center far enough to tip.

Just curious - if you don't mind saying - how much was it to get the rocker repaired?

Regarding inventory - the stands sell about as fast as they come in so they're seldom in stock, but the web site should show a non-back order status by Monday.
Old 01-11-2015 | 01:58 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

This thread has morphed into an infomercial.....
Old 01-11-2015 | 03:30 PM
Duke I
Pro

Originally Posted by Hothonda
This thread has morphed into an infomercial.....
Well, take it for what it's worth for you. I thought my bad experience might be a helpful warning. We're you not the one started this thread with concerns about secure placement of jack stands? Is this not related? If the thread "morphs" yet leads to something that might be helpful to others as it has for me, why complain? If this is not helpful for you, please just keep your head quietly in the sand.

Last edited by Duke I; 01-11-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 01-11-2015 | 03:35 PM
Duke I
Pro

Originally Posted by jpoint
We noticed that same issue in early prototype testing at the track. The original pads had a flat bottom and would slide on the jack. That is also why we recommend a 3.5" minimum diameter lift plate on the saddle - so it can't slide off center far enough to tip.

Just curious - if you don't mind saying - how much was it to get the rocker repaired?

Regarding inventory - the stands sell about as fast as they come in so they're seldom in stock, but the web site should show a non-back order status by Monday.
I'll email in consideration of the sensitive OP.
Old 01-11-2015 | 03:50 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Duke...I don't have the stands and was my reason for starting the thread. I acknowledged Jackpoint
right from the get go.

When a non-sponsor vendor chimes in (has a website ) he can start his own thread here on Rennlist.

Your problem was interesting & informative. If anybody's head was in the sand when you lifted your car, it was probably yours.
Old 01-11-2015 | 04:27 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Sorry - you're right. I should have responded to DukeI with a PM. I'm out.
Old 01-12-2015 | 08:37 PM
Duke I
Pro

[QUOTE=Hothonda;11946474 If anybody's head was in the sand when you lifted your car, it was probably yours.[/QUOTE]

My head was in the sand, that was my point precisely.

I was afraid there might be an amiable soul like you who'd just want to rub it in. Thanks.

Hoping it will be helpful someone -- that's how I have found RL, for the most part anyhow.

D
Old 01-13-2015 | 11:37 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duke I
Well, take it for what it's worth for you. I thought my bad experience might be a helpful warning. We're you not the one started this thread with concerns about secure placement of jack stands? Is this not related? If the thread "morphs" yet leads to something that might be helpful to others as it has for me, why complain? If this is not helpful for you, please just keep your head quietly in the sand.
Duke - The "Please just keep your head quietly in the sand" jab was
just another shot over the bow at me....feel better now?

With 1500 + views now , it obvious other owners are interested in ways to lift & stabilize their cars without having them slip off the floor jack (like you) & vs using the Jackpoint stand method.
Old 01-14-2015 | 12:46 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

The "Please just keep your head quietly in the sand" jab was just another shot over the bow at me....feel better now?

Still winning the hearts and minds of fellow forum members I see....

Old 01-30-2015 | 10:54 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Several recommendations for placing the jack stands at rear cross-member inside of the lower control arm. (I have done this.)
Has anyone had a bad experience with this method? In other words, is there any evidence that this is not a good method?
Old 02-03-2015 | 12:16 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I had a jack stand almost tip over doing this. It happened when lowering the car. No plug but that's when I got 2 sets of Jackpoints.
Old 02-03-2015 | 09:27 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

-delete...i missed 2 pages of replies
Old 02-03-2015 | 10:11 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fbroen
Several recommendations for placing the jack stands at rear cross-member inside of the lower control arm. (I have done this.)
Has anyone had a bad experience with this method? In other words, is there any evidence that this is not a good method?
As noted in my thread on the 40K service I (we) used the rear cross member for jack stands at the direction of a 30+ year Porsche technician. I am quite confident HE wouldn't be getting under any car he didn't believe was 100% safe and adequately supported. Neither would I.

Quick Reply: If you don't have Jackpoint stands.......