Sponsored by:

PDCC

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:17 AM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDCC

PDCC - I know this is controversial but I was considering deleting PDCC from my new GTS order as I am not locked in until January so I decided to turn PDCC ‘ OFF ' for ‘ 3 days ' on my current C2s and see how it felt as never tried it before (don’t know why I've never done this before..??)

…..and I was very surprised to find what a difference it made as I have read that some people find very little difference but for me it felt huge and I have to say that No Roll is a must for me and my driving fun so needless to say PDCC stays and for me is worth every penny….!!

PS. Having been lucky enough to even own one 911 and have another on the way I feel very, very lucky and then having RENNLIST to go to is absolutely brilliant to discover and discuss Porsche stuff with other enthusiasts so just want to say thanks!
Old 12-26-2014, 04:26 AM
PDX991
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not aware of whether it's possible to turn off PDCC. Are you sure you don't mean PASM?
Old 12-26-2014, 04:28 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

How did you turn off your PDCC ?

There is no switch to turn off PDCC. If its on the car its "ON".. It can't be turned off from in the cabin.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:32 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

You do know of course that the anti-roll bars used with PDCC are softer than on a non-PDCC car, right? Simply turning PDCC off (which… how?) is not at all a valid comparison. You do know that, right?
Old 12-26-2014, 04:36 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by PDX991
I'm not aware of whether it's possible to turn off PDCC. Are you sure you don't mean PASM?
PASM cannot be turned off either.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:01 AM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
You do know of course that the anti-roll bars used with PDCC are softer than on a non-PDCC car, right? Simply turning PDCC off (which… how?) is not at all a valid comparison. You do know that, right?
I wasn't aware of this??
Old 12-26-2014, 05:01 AM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by PDX991
I have a PDCC button in the car that can be turned on or off - red light is on -no red light is off....

Then a notification can on my dash saying the PDCC was now turned off!

unless of course Im going insane which is possible...
Old 12-26-2014, 05:02 AM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
How did you turn off your PDCC ?

There is no switch to turn off PDCC. If its on the car its "ON".. It can't be turned off from in the cabin.
I have a PDCC button in the car that can be turned on or off - red light is on -no red light is off....

Then a notification can on my dash saying the PDCC was now turned off!
Old 12-26-2014, 05:30 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by pap2828
I wasn't aware of this??
Its just the whole idea of PDCC. If all they wanted to do was reduce roll that's easy, throw on a stiffer bar. But a stiffer bar brings on its own problems. PDCC allows the improved ride and compliance of the softer bar while still delivering the quick lateral response and low roll of a stiffer bar. Its totally worth getting. Just not quite the way you think. You would need to drive an otherwise identically optioned car without PDCC to really feel the difference.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:35 AM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

As Porsche state...

"No separate controls are available for the PDCC system. When you select a chassis setup in PASM the PDCC system automatically activates the corresponding on-road driving program."

PDCC is just written on the switch to show the car has PDCC, but it can't be switched on/off independently.. And it does not matter if the light is on or off the PDCC is still on to some degree.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:17 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

pap2828: are you 100% sure that the display in the instrument cluster indicated "PDCC off?"

Perhaps it is possible that this puts PDCC into its fail-safe mode?

I can't go check the owner's manual (yet.)
Old 12-26-2014, 10:52 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps 14+ cars can turn off PDCC.
pap2828 said he got a confirmation on the MFD. I dont get that on my 13.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:15 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
Perhaps 14+ cars can turn off PDCC.
pap2828 said he got a confirmation on the MFD. I dont get that on my 13.
Actually may be the other way around- earliest cars off the line in '12 had the PDCC button active? If all PDCC cars have the console button but it doesn't actually do anything why is there a confirmation in the cluster that it was off? Confusing.

Do current cars have the button, and if they do they are "dummy?" I happen to have a console switch repair kit and it includes a separate button for PDCC. Why have a button at all on the PDCC cars?
Old 12-26-2014, 11:58 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by jawells1
Do current cars have the button, and if they do they are "dummy?" I happen to have a console switch repair kit and it includes a separate button for PDCC. Why have a button at all on the PDCC cars?
From reading, it seems as if PDCC cars have a "PDCC" button instead of the "PASM" (shock/strut icon) button and that, since PDCC is integrated, control-system wise, with PASM that the button changes the 'maps' for PASM (and PDCC.)

There was a thread where someone complained that there was no PDCC button on his PDCC-equipped 991, but he did have the PASM button. Then someone posted a pic of a 991 with a PDCC button and no PASM button. IIRC, the former was a '12 and the later was a '13.

If someone has both the "strut" icon on a button and a PDCC button then that theory goes, partially, out of the window.

I wonder if there is a difference between a 'click' on the button and a push-and-hold...
Old 12-26-2014, 12:08 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jawells1
Actually may be the other way around- earliest cars off the line in '12 had the PDCC button active? If all PDCC cars have the console button but it doesn't actually do anything why is there a confirmation in the cluster that it was off? Confusing.

My button has a picture of a Shock Absorber (early 13, PDCC equipped).
I usually drive with it OFF and the car still corners flat.
With it ON, the shocks do feel stiffer.
For instance, the car will oscilate less, over highway undulations, and there is more impact felt on harsh bumps.
So it does do something.
I'll check later, whar the MFD messge is.

Quick Reply: PDCC