Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDCC

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 12:44 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

On my'13 C2S with SPASM and PDCC, I have no control for the PDCC. It's on full-time and fully automatic. I do have a "shock absorber" button. It is not an on/off button; it switches the shock settings between "normal" and "sport." I've seen that '14 cars with PDCC have a PDCC button on the console, but I don't know what it does. Knowing how PDCC works, I can't imagine that you could actually turn it "off." But perhaps it triggers something like a normal/sport differentiation like my shock absorber button does?

I'll find out shortly, because my 991GTS is due any day and it too will have SPASM and PDCC.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS
'15 991GTS soon...
Old 12-26-2014, 12:59 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

On my 2014 911_50 there is a PDCC button with a light presumably indicating on/off.

DaveGee
Old 12-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I do not see how it is possible to completely disable PDCC and have the car be at all driveable; think about it, the function of PDCC is to dynamically adjust the effective spring rate of the sway bars.

Turning it off would require that the system either enter "full stiff" or "full soft" neither of which would be particularly comfortable, unless it was a 'fail safe mode'.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:26 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

^^^This. There is no turning it off. Sportier or less sporty/aggressive program for the hydraulic drop links, yes.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:29 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
You do know of course that the anti-roll bars used with PDCC are softer than on a non-PDCC car, right? Simply turning PDCC off (which… how?) is not at all a valid comparison. You do know that, right?
Chuck -- semantics, but I don't think the rollbars are any softer. The hydraulic droplinks make them "softer" -- or harder for that matter -- but the rollbars themselves (but for the droplinks) are the same I think. The hardware bars are pretty dern beefy on Sport PASM (PDCC) setup (S-PASM having beefier rollbars than PASM). I think logic dictates that the bars themselves need to be at least as stiff as non-PDCC bars, in order for the droplinks to have something to leverage against.

Last edited by fbroen; 12-26-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:42 PM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
pap2828: are you 100% sure that the display in the instrument cluster indicated "PDCC off?"

Perhaps it is possible that this puts PDCC into its fail-safe mode?

I can't go check the owner's manual (yet.)
yes 100%

will try and upload pictures of it if i can work out how to do it!!!
Old 12-26-2014, 03:43 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveGee
On my 2014 911_50 there is a PDCC button with a light presumably indicating on/off.

DaveGee
yes and this is what i am referring to.....
Old 12-26-2014, 04:00 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

$10 says the mfd says normal/sport chassis when you toggle the PDCC button. That's what it says in my 2012.5 with PDCC

same photo I posted last time we had this discussion, the consensus with that in 2014 they added the sticker so it was easier to tell which cars had PDCC:

Old 12-26-2014, 04:07 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Originally Posted by pap2828
yes and this is what i am referring to.....

In the most simple of terms...

PDCC is ON when the light is off and then ON more when the light is on...
Old 12-26-2014, 05:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Chuck -- semantics, but I don't think the rollbars are any softer. The hydraulic droplinks make them "softer" -- or harder for that matter -- but the rollbars themselves (but for the droplinks) are the same I think. The hardware bars are pretty dern beefy on Sport PASM (PDCC) setup (S-PASM having beefier rollbars than PASM). I think logic dictates that the bars themselves need to be at least as stiff as non-PDCC bars, in order for the droplinks to have something to leverage against.
True, SPASM cars have stiffer bars than PASM, PDCC or no PDCC. But compared straight across the bars used with PDCC are softer. The whole point of the system is to achieve both a more compliant ride when you don't need performance AND a more responsive ride when you do. The first goal would be impossible with a bigger bar. Yet if you read Porsche literature they specifically mention improved ride.

You're right about the hydraulics making the bar seem stiffer. But this only happens when you need it to happen. Going straight down the road, no steering input, no lateral load (lateral load without steering is possible, for example on a crowned road) the hydraulics do nothing and you get the more compliant ride of the softer bar. But the instant you tweak the wheel to dodge that pothole the hydraulics kick in making the bar seem stiffer. It all happens so fast you're unaware, so of course it always feels like the bar is stiff. But go drive a car without it, then you'll see.

This also works in terms of your leverage logic. Imagine your great big non-PDCC bar is so stiff it only twists 1 single degree even when transmitting max cornering load. Now imagine your PDCC car comes with a noodle so soft you can turn it with your hand. It has to rotate 360 degrees, one full turn, to transmit the same force. However, Porsche has mounted the noodle with actuators at either end capable of twisting the bar 720 degrees, crazy fast. Then, in that case, as far as you are able to tell, the noodle feels stiffer than the big bar. I've totally exaggerated and changed the actuators, but basically, that's PDCC.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:42 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

True, SPASM cars have stiffer bars than PASM, PDCC or no PDCC. But compared straight across the bars used with PDCC are softer. The whole point of the system is to achieve both a more compliant ride when you don't need performance AND a more responsive ride when you do. The first goal would be impossible with a bigger bar. Yet if you read Porsche literature they specifically mention improved ride. You're right about the hydraulics making the bar seem stiffer. But this only happens when you need it to happen. Going straight down the road, no steering input, no lateral load (lateral load without steering is possible, for example on a crowned road) the hydraulics do nothing and you get the more compliant ride of the softer bar. But the instant you tweak the wheel to dodge that pothole the hydraulics kick in making the bar seem stiffer. It all happens so fast you're unaware, so of course it always feels like the bar is stiff. But go drive a car without it, then you'll see. This also works in terms of your leverage logic. Imagine your great big non-PDCC bar is so stiff it only twists 1 single degree even when transmitting max cornering load. Now imagine your PDCC car comes with a noodle so soft you can turn it with your hand. It has to rotate 360 degrees, one full turn, to transmit the same force. However, Porsche has mounted the noodle with actuators at either end capable of twisting the bar 720 degrees, crazy fast. Then, in that case, as far as you are able to tell, the noodle feels stiffer than the big bar. I've totally exaggerated and changed the actuators, but basically, that's PDCC.
Chuck -- get new shoes for Christmas? See you have a new pic!
Old 12-26-2014, 06:45 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG991
Chuck -- get new shoes for Christmas? See you have a new pic!
Shoes? Ahh, yes, they're an add-on option, well worth it in my opinion. I know this is controversial, but there are times when you really can use a little more ride height.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Shoes? Ahh, yes, they're an add-on option, well worth it in my opinion. I know this is controversial, but there are times when you really can use a little more ride height.
"ride height" - really?
Old 12-26-2014, 07:23 PM
chuck911
Race Car

I know, I know, most guys just want the tightest possible clearance. But this way I can always drop it down. They come off real easy.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I know, I know, most guys just want the tightest possible clearance. But this way I can always drop it down. They come off real easy.
Your approach angle will be significantly reduced, be careful you dont scrape anything pulling in.

Quick Reply: PDCC