Sponsored by:

Porsche Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:06 PM
jeongobar
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck911,

Your car looks great. Is that Mount Rainier in that photo from the Emmons Glacier side? I climbed that route last year!

Jeong
Old 12-12-2014, 05:24 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks all. Of course its not just a car, its a Porsche! You drive them, but you also take care of them.

Beebalm, for years and years I would suffer through trips, countless hours slogging up mountain passes stuck behind traffic the whole time thinking how easily this would all be behind me in a 911. And then, it was!

Only what I then learned, the faster you go the more you create traffic! In a way its all different facets of the same thing this thread is about. You get a car to go faster, going faster only means you run into more people going slower. You want to enjoy your brand new perfect car, then its not brand new and perfect any more.

The guys before me, they didn't take enough care. The oil cooler became occluded with road grime causing the engine to run hot, probably for months or years before I found out. By then too late, bits of pistons and rings went into the case, total rebuild time.

Which means.... suspenseful chuckbdc pause ... it WAS properly broken in! Rebuilder Squire seated the rings with lots of WOT redline passes before even handing the car over to me. After 40 years of building Porsche engines (including scores that had to be rebuilt ONLY because people had babied them so much the rings never seated) he has little but contempt for anyone so dense as to not get that you MUST SEAT THE RINGS, not patient at all about it like me. So I hammered it hard as I could the first thousand miles or so, including as much track and autocross as I could find. Its now got well over 120,000 miles, burns no oil, never even smokes on start-up unless sometimes after being parked a long time. Dyno'd at around 100,000 miles it had more power at the rear wheels than Porsche spec'd at the crank when new. And no I did nothing performance-wise, could barely afford the rebuild at that point in time!

But far be it from me to hijack a perfectly good thread just to make a point for chuckbdc! The real point which does relate to the OP, is you can enjoy your Porsche without ever feeling guilty about it in any way, shape or form!
Old 12-13-2014, 06:26 AM
jsr991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck911
whatever they call the one with Lake Louise in Canada
Banff National Park
Chuck you have a fantastic looking car
Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

But far be it from me to hijack a perfectly good thread just to make a point for chuckbdc! The real point which does relate to the OP, is you can enjoy your Porsche without ever feeling guilty about it in any way, shape or form!

I'm in your corner regarding how a Porsche can be enjoyed, but judging by what I've read on Porsche forums, there are many who feel differently. For example there are some Porsche owners who will not allow their dealer to prep their car when delivered for fear that the dealer may damage the finish during the new car prep process.

A long time ago I adopted the 5' rule: if the imperfection can not be seen at 5'+, it does not exist. It makes the car ownership far more enjoyable, than fretting every time a pebble makes a tiny paint chip in the finish.

Quick Reply: Porsche Crisis