Sponsored by:

Porsche Crisis

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:07 AM
typecase
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Crisis

It’s been about two and half years since I first signed for my Porsche 911 (my excited post here), a basalt black 991 with tan interior. This was the resolution of a long held dream to not only drive a 911, but to own one. It has been, by far, my most expensive purchase outside of my home. Because it was a large purchase for me, I had initially planned to drive it all year round, including in the harsh Midwestern winter, to be able to enjoy it to its fullest value, but I quickly changed my plans once winter rolled in last year and I saw the ochre rust bubbles on my other car swell and corrode after years of attentive ownership. It was one thing I couldn’t see myself facing with this newly purchased dream of mine.

As I was putting the car away this year though, I was dismayed to find the sequelae of the 20,000 or so miles I put on the car during the three seasons I drove it. There were more stone chips on the hood than I realized, and bug debris, which despite being cleaned off almost immediately, had apparently etched their splattered corpses into the paint in small marks above my windshield. It was disappointing considering I had the hood and fenders wrapped in protective plastic in a panic after receiving my first stone chip a month after owning it (see my panic post here); an apparently vain attempt at halting the damage from the road.

Despite the protective covering, more chips have appeared, it is unclear if they are on the surface of the wrap or have made it to the actual paint. Along with them, some swirl marks, likely the result of some vigorous rubbing out of the insect viscera that seem to be attracted to my black paint. These are small minor blemishes, only viewable at an angle in good lighting but in my desire to preserve the car, to have it be pristine, it is nonetheless disappointing.

It brought me to a crossroads, an existential crisis, if you will. Should this be my show car, a car that merits the envy of fellow owners and car enthusiasts for its excellent preservation and beauty, or a car I enjoy driving--its marks and pockmarks badges of honor from the joyous real world roads it has encountered? Certainly, I had hoped it would be both. A well-preserved car I could drive often—but I am quickly learning, despite weekly hand washing, prompt attention to bug and tree sap debris and a clear protective wrap on the hood and fenders that it can’t be both. Even with more time than I can devote to washing and cleaning it than I can afford now, I’m not sure I’d want to sacrifice my other interests just to preserve my car’s showroom condition. Life’s too short and should be lived to the fullest and I have a vigorous interest in things other than my beloved cars.

I have come to the conclusion that the car must alas be a driver’s car. The thrill of the rev happy engine that I enjoy for 7 months of the year comes at a price: the dissolution of the dream that this will be ever be my show car. So as I pull taught the cover on my car, storing it for the next few months to protect it from the greatest threat I feel it can face—the salt corrosion—I have realized that despite my pain at the chips and bug marks, I am happy I can enjoy it as much as I can. It is a compromise. Life is filled with choices and compromises, and I realize I am in the fortunate few to be able to make this one. Happy motoring.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:07 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Relax. Maybe take a look at the big picture.

I honestly have no idea what a show car is. The few car shows I've done I was underwhelmed. So my standard is fairly high. I was able to help a friend win his class at a multi-region concours. His 993 was a driver, track car, and came to Whistler via California three week road trip with wife and kids. Yes kids. In other words, trashed. We not only won our class, but the areas I was responsible for (engine, interior, luggage) achieved perfect scores. With reasonable care to avoid damage your driver can be a "show car" any time you want.

My 911SC with nearly a quarter million miles on it, including lots of track, autocross, multi-week vacations and winter snow miles definitely qualifies as a driver. Most people think it looks pretty good. So don't throw in the towel just yet.

Here's my routine, developed over the years. Every spring, clay, polish, wax. A good wax like Griot's lasts a good six months, provided you carefully hand wash, garage at night and don't park outdoors much. So wax again come fall, or you can wax three times if you feel the need. You can clay as often as you like, and will be amazed how often you think the car needs wax when it really just needs clay.

If the car gets rained on, wash once a week. If no rain then give it a quick light detail to remove dust every day, until either it rains or gets to where it really needs a wash. Carry detail spray and remove bug goo and droppings asap. Once you get set up and in the habit these things really take very little time. The goal is to stay on top never having to clean a mess like my buddies concur winner. Although that story proves it can be done.

This is not a show car, and its not special prep. Its a driver, on a road trip. Take a look, decide for yourself if its worth the effort.

Last edited by chuck911; 03-21-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:18 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Chuck! Looking great! First time I've seen pics of your car.

A beauty! (Not you, the car!) ha ha.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:00 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by typecase
I "a car that merits the envy of fellow owners and car enthusiasts"
I will always envy daily drivers over show queens any day.

Buy, Drive, Enjoy....... stone chips are a badge of honor in my book.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Are you an english or latin professor?

ochre...sequelae...viscera

This sounds to me like a trophy of success for you. Trophys are boring. hopefully you actually stick to your decision of driving it.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:28 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,355 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Meh. I can't get excited over chips on what is essentially a mass-produced appliance designed for consumption. If it was a $ 900K 918 Spyder, that would be different. 911's have never had a grille to catch the stone tossed up like most vehicles do. Fact of life if you drive the car you'll get them. My 991 is my 5th one, when the chips get severe I just get the front end of the car re-painted, hood and front bumper - that's all. Its not that costly to do.

I don't save either my car or my wife for the next guy.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:52 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

DD all the way. Normal road rash is honest wear. Who wants to own some future auction queen 30 year old 911 with 3000 miles on it travesty anyway?

As for rust, I agree wet salty roads are one of the bigger threats. However ever since sometime in the 70s I think, Porsche has done a great job of galvanizing and general rust prevention. As long as you're not drafting behind the salt truck I wouldn't even worry about that. Just wash it off underneath and in the wells and enjoy!

You'll have to deprive yourself out of a LOT of driving to reduce the level of normal wear, tear and road rash to make more than a couple percent difference at retail time anyway. And by the time it's truly a classic collectable heirloom, those little imperfections won't matter even then. Drive on!

You'll never be sitting on your deathbed thinking "man, I wish I didn't drive my awesome 911 as much".
Old 12-12-2014, 12:02 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Chuck! Looking great! First time I've seen pics of your car.

A beauty! (Not you, the car!) ha ha.
Its a great ten foot car: looks great from ten feet away! Up close though you notice its absolutely sandblasted. Why I tell people considering film, forget about it! Even my film is sandblasted! The rear fenders, I tried film, grit burned through that, through the paint, is virtually bare metal. I don't even bother touching up chips and scratches any more unless they go through to primer. Used to. Too much work. A perfect car is a PITA. Every little thing shows up. Car like mine has a patina. Hard to notice if you pick up something small.

The absolute best thing about my car is the many times I've driven it through National Parks looking just like it does in the photo above. Yosemite, Olympic, Mt Rainier (top photo), Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton. Waterton Lakes, and whatever they call the one with Lake Louise in Canada. Its a Porsche. You drive 'em.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:22 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gorgeous looking car Chuck!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:55 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

250k miles- see how long they last when they are properly broken in!
Old 12-12-2014, 01:14 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, drive it like you've been doing! I put 26K miles on my 991 in its first year. We don't have the harsh winters here in Texas, but it was my only car and it took me on all kinds of adventures. Shortly after the end of the first year, I picked up a used MINI S that now shares some of the miles, but at 26 months, the 911 is showing 39K on the odometer, surely in the top 10% of 991's.
I guess I'm just not wealthy enough, or maybe just don't have the temperament to spend $100Kish on your aptly titled "show cars." Every time I climb behind the wheel I think about how lucky I am to have something that so many drivers dream about owning. Why wouldn't I want to get maximum use out of that?
Old 12-12-2014, 01:18 PM
Hugh Jardon
Advanced

My 2 cents. Life happens. As with everything in life, nothing is perfect, and certainly no durable consumer item if used for its intended purpose will remain perfect forever. I subscribe to the following mantra regarding nice cars and generally anything that is expensive and is meant to be used in the real world.

"Use it, enjoy it, maintain it and fix it when it breaks"

Don't sweat the small stuff, scratches, dings etc. Look at these as a badge of honor, or more importantly proof that you are using the item for its intended purpose, and enjoying it.

"An un-used item is a useless item"
Old 12-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice wheels chuck.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:34 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hi Chuck911,
So glad you posted a photo of your Porsche!
She is so beautiful!
You surely lived a wonderful dream driving her through alll the NPs in your baby! I have done the same but did not own a Porsche then, but did get somewhat of a taste driving my MR2 Supercharged
You are doing it right living to the fullest
More power to yea!
BeeBalm

Originally Posted by chuck911
Its a great ten foot car: looks great from ten feet away! Up close though you notice its absolutely sandblasted. Why I tell people considering film, forget about it! Even my film is sandblasted! The rear fenders, I tried film, grit burned through that, through the paint, is virtually bare metal. I don't even bother touching up chips and scratches any more unless they go through to primer. Used to. Too much work. A perfect car is a PITA. Every little thing shows up. Car like mine has a patina. Hard to notice if you pick up something small.

The absolute best thing about my car is the many times I've driven it through National Parks looking just like it does in the photo above. Yosemite, Olympic, Mt Rainier (top photo), Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton. Waterton Lakes, and whatever they call the one with Lake Louise in Canada. Its a Porsche. You drive 'em.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:36 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

OP: It's not a crisis, it's purely accepting that it is a car, nothing more. You must drive it to enjoy it, and to drive it means that stuff will be used, will wear, and cosmetic damage may appear.

Consider it all to be patina.

Quick Reply: Porsche Crisis