Sponsored by:

engine overheat

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Seems like SS was somehow inhibiting cooling based on what he said. I always disable it except long road trips to get the sailing function. Even then it's muscle memory that it gets turned back off approaching an off ramp.

The gas it saves is so minuscule anyway and in most cases it puts the engine through another start cycle when even Al Gore would say it wasn't worth it. In those occasions you know you'll be sitting for a while in between moving, you can always re-enable it then.

One or two red lights on the left to have fun. One red light on the right always.
The fact the engine is not running at some times is very important to reducing the engine's CO2 emissions. Since the EU drive cycle has some idle time the engine being off really helps Porsche (and other car makers) cut down on the CO2.

The EPA gas mileage drive cycle has some idle time as well.

Here is a link that shows the amount of idle time:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
Old 12-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Look at his signature on his posts! Manual on a MY2013 Carrera S Cabriolet! Louis: Good luck & keep us posted! Saludos, Eduardo Carmel .
I'm not sure if drmatara uses the app rather than webpage, but that info like signatures, quotes, etc doesn't show up in the app.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:52 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
I'm not sure if drmatara uses the app rather than webpage, but that info like signatures, quotes, etc doesn't show up in the app.
That's because you have to go to the App settings and turn Signatures On
Old 12-17-2014, 02:04 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Look at his signature on his posts! Manual on a MY2013 Carrera S Cabriolet!

Louis: Good luck & keep us posted!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Thanks Eduardo! I'll keep everyone posted about the findings in case others have similar issues down the road. Hopefully a simple find and fix.
Old 01-01-2015, 02:11 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Spoke with my dealer, turns out fault codes for front radiator fan on both sides were triggered. After removing fender covers, both fans were jammed with gravel and dirt preventing then from spinning. No damage to the fans or radiator was discovered after cleaning out the blockage. However, this was not covered by warranty, considered wear and tear! Bad design imo due to lack of mesh covers in the front wheel wells where the fans are ventilated but exposed. You can turn your front wheels all the way to the right and see the left radiator fan exposed.

I'll have to consider some aftermarket mesh fix for this. Wonder if the 997's had this problem?
Old 01-01-2015, 02:23 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
Spoke with my dealer, turns out fault codes for front radiator fan on both sides were triggered. After removing fender covers, both fans were jammed with gravel and dirt preventing then from spinning. No damage to the fans or radiator was discovered after cleaning out the blockage. However, this was not covered by warranty, considered wear and tear! Bad design imo due to lack of mesh covers in the front wheel wells where the fans are ventilated but exposed. You can turn your front wheels all the way to the right and see the left radiator fan exposed.

I'll have to consider some aftermarket mesh fix for this. Wonder if the 997's had this problem?
Good to know that's not covered by warranty. Spent the better part of yesterday removing the FBC and cleaning out all the ****e in there. Plan now to install some mesh in those inner fender wells. T

Last edited by 77tony; 05-20-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

OM40, does your car see track duty? Glad it's fixed. Couple guys here have done great work with the mesh screens.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-01-2015, 09:49 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

No track days as of yet. It is a dd in the Seattle rain but with under 7k miles. I've seen some good mesh threads for the front radiator apertures, but not for the fan openings in the wheel well. Perhaps someone will provide more details as to how they did those....
Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

No track days as of yet. It is a dd in the Seattle rain but with under 7k miles. I've seen some good mesh threads for the front radiator apertures, but not for the fan openings in the wheel well. Perhaps someone will provide more details as to how they did those....
Check with the 991 GT3 guys. I remember seeing something about that over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-02-2015, 01:35 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I know our roads here are crap, but they're far from anything that should clog you up like this in 7k miles. I mean, don't they test these things in Africa and the arctic circle? Yeah. That's what I thought. Guess Seattle's too extreme even for Porsche?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:39 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

... Wonder if the 997's had this problem?
No issues on the 997.1/997.2. The front wheel wells have radiator louvered covers.

The 991 GT3 also came initially with open unshielded radiator backs. PAG is now installing shields and retro-fitting early deliveries.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Yes they are louvered on the 991-cs as well, but the slats are wide and not meshed. Since both sides were involved, I can't chalk this up to bad luck with stray gravel. Seems like I need to clean out yearly to avoid this again in the future.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:49 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Yes they are louvered on the 991-cs as well, but the slats are wide and not meshed. Since both sides were involved, I can't chalk this up to bad luck with stray gravel. Seems like I need to clean out yearly to avoid this again in the future.
Thank you for bringing this up to our attention and great timing. FBC and inner fender coves are off and new plan to install some mesh also on the inner w/w liners similar to what the GT3 guys have been doing. T
Attached Images   

Last edited by 77tony; 01-02-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Louis: Glad the situation was resolved. I am hopefully coming to West Seattle again in January. Hope to see you and Chuck911. By the way, has anyone heard from our old friend Amar (w00tPORSCHE)? Is he still around? Hopefully we can organized a Rennlist Seattle group get together breakfast to coincide with my visit to The Great NorthWest!

Originally Posted by 77tony
Thank you for bringing this up to our attention and great timing. FBC and inner fender coves are off and new plan to install some mesh also on the inner w/w liners similar to what the GT3 guys have been doing. T
Good photos. Thanks!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 01-03-2015, 01:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 77tony
Happy New Year Tony!

Can you please take some detailed pics and explanation of your solution to the fender cover/mesh project. I had looked at mine when they were off, but never got to it. I thought I'd need a really thin and flexible mesh.

Please keep us posted on your project.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: engine overheat