Sponsored by:

Anyone Else Not Like the GTS Black Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:03 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone Else Not Like the GTS Black Wheels

For some reason I can't come around to the black wheel craze. Am I the only one? Is anyone going to get different wheels?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:25 PM
p987yow
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan either. I ordered standard Carrera S in silver for my GT Silver GTS
Old 12-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by p987yow
I'm not a fan either. I ordered standard Carrera S in silver for my GT Silver GTS
I would have optioned the Carrera Classic wheels if they had been an option, but I like the S wheels even less than the Turbo S wheels... I will probably buy a set of HREs to replace the OEM...
Old 12-08-2014, 05:11 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

The standard silver/black Turbo S wheels are my favorite Porsche design, but I'm waiting until I see the black ones on my DMB GTS in a couple of weeks. If they can be swapped, I may try to exchange the black ones for the standard silver/black ones. Dunno.

I am a bit baffled as to why Porsche is offering only the top of the line Turbo S wheel and the very standard looking S wheel on the 911 GTS. Every other GTS model offers a full selection of wheels. I would have been very happy with the SportTechnos in black.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
For some reason I can't come around to the black wheel craze. Am I the only one? Is anyone going to get different wheels?
I'm in that camp. I tried a set of Enkei satin wheels (black, except for surfaces facing outward in silver) on my S4 (dark blue exterior) and got rid of them after 3 months. I got a set of forged wheels in silver as replacement.

For my GTS, I'm going with body color (GT Silver) Carrera S wheels. I'll see how it goes before deciding on after-market forged replacements.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:24 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

You know its hardly as if they're rattle-can black. The obvious thrust of the GTS is the classic sporty white, yellow or red with the stock Alcantara. That's what they're going for and a car in that mold not only looks fantastic its also probably the biggest bargain in the whole Porsche line-up. But like everything else they make it easy to personalize, and going that route wheels are of course one of the things a person would consider changing.

So you see its not a craze at all, but merely another example of Porsche style and character. Wheels are the least of it. Just ask Singer. Or Walker.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
The standard silver/black Turbo S wheels are my favorite Porsche design, but I'm waiting until I see the black ones on my DMB GTS in a couple of weeks. If they can be swapped, I may try to exchange the black ones for the standard silver/black ones. Dunno.

I am a bit baffled as to why Porsche is offering only the top of the line Turbo S wheel and the very standard looking S wheel on the 911 GTS. Every other GTS model offers a full selection of wheels. I would have been very happy with the SportTechnos in black.
awesome if your dealer will swap them ...
Old 12-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
awesome if your dealer will swap them ...
This might be a tough thing to get the dealer to go along with. The Monroney Sticker may specify the wheels that the car came with. I don't know the regulations with changing a Monroney Sticker. Seems like it should be possible but a dealer may not want to go through the hassle. (The Monroney is the sticker that specifies all the features a car is delivered with. It is a U.S. law that all cars have one of these.) It is certainly worth asking anyway.

(My personal experience, way back when I bought my first 911, was that I wanted Michelin tires. There are two or three suppliers and you get what you get - the car came with Pirelli's. I asked the dealer if he could simply switch out the OEM Pirelli for a set of Michelins from another car and he looked at me like I had just asked him to sacrifice his only son! I suppose that if I made that part of the deal when I ordered the car he would have done it but once money had changed hands he did not feel obligated.)
Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
I agree 100%. I just don’t get the “black wheels thing”, which has been so over done in the last 5+ years. IMO, black wheels are the new chrome wheels.

Oh, that reminds me… I need to write a letter to General Motors and tell them that chrome wheels went out of style in the 90’s.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 PM
RMA4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not care for the black wheel look either. It's great on race cars, but just too much on a street car, even if just the rim was polished it would help. No break between the wheel and tire. I ordered the Carrera S wheels painted body color, Carrera White Metallic, on my GTS.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:25 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
This might be a tough thing to get the dealer to go along with.
Some dealers swap out factory parts all the time to customize cars on the showroom floor (wheels are very common for some dealers). But I don't know that it is doable with my dealer, and if it is, it may need to be done thru the Parts Department and may well cost me something.

Do we even know whether the Turbo S and GTS wheels are the same? Are the offsets compatible?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Many options my friends!

http://www.hrewheels.com
Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Initially I wanted the platinum s wheels for my GTS. My dealer agreed to swap them out for me. So I guess it goes dealer by dealer.

I ended up going black turbo s. Once I saw a decent picture and learnt that they were matte I really liked them.

Worse comes to worse I will get them painted.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can you say black wheels are over done. There must be tens of thousands of sets of silver/grayish/aluminum colored wheels to every set of black rims. Probably more than that. For me nearly anything would be an improvement. On the GTS, the limited wheel choice is probably due in part to the center lock wheels.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer
How can you say black wheels are over done. There must be tens of thousands of sets of silver/grayish/aluminum colored wheels to every set of black rims. Probably more than that. For me nearly anything would be an improvement.
+1

Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer
On the GTS, the limited wheel choice is probably due in part to the center lock wheels.
Well here's the thing you can either tick the Turbo S CL box *or* the Carrera S 5-lug box, so its inexplicable that the other Carrera S 5-lug wheel options are not available on the GTS...

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Not Like the GTS Black Wheels