Break-in service required?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:12 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 456 Likes on 202 Posts

Changed oil and filter at 1000 miles then at 5000 intervals thereafter
Used only 0-40 mobil one
41100 miles and it hasn't burned any oil.

That said, I have absolutely no idea if there is any correlation between the frequency between the deviation from the recommended 10k interval and the health of the engine
Old 12-10-2014, 09:31 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Frequency of oil changes is not related to oil consumption, the latter is going to be due to blowby on the rings or valve guide seals, etc.

I formed most all my oil ideas several years ago when I was an aviation consultant for the airlines and my company was involved in maintenance studies with several of the regional airlines on their Turboprops. They did exhaustive studies on their engines over many thousands of operating hours using various kinds of oil, weights and frequency of changes. Oil service was a major cost to them so they wanted maximum benefit vs frequency and cost of oil. Bottom line was synthetic oils, done to the manufacturer's recommended schedule. They saw no benefit in early changes, but definitely saw that synthetics outperformed dino oil in wear on engine teardowns. That study always stayed with me and I do my vehicles the same way as they do their Turboprops.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 297 Posts

I changed mine at 1200, but it had a pretty hard track day in there. If I had not tracked it early I might have gone to 5000. I do think an early change is good.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:40 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Actually, I want the next owner of my car to have a great ownership experience too. So maybe in doing the early oil change for him/her too. Funny how your opening sentences completely contradict your closing. But I'm glad you do an early change and 5,000 mile intervals. Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Yeah that's very altruistic of you, but I could really care less about the experience of the third owner of my car..

That said, mine will be very happy I'm sure as I treat mine pristinely.. But I'm not doing it for him/her..

Yes readily acknowledge the contradiction in my comments.. I'm just being realistic in saying it really doesn't matter that much.. In terms of practical impact.. It is really about diminishing returns.

But I take good care of things I care about..which is one reason I do the recurring maintenance myself as my attention to detail is generally better than a dealer mechanic..
Old 12-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Actually, I want the next owner of my car to have a great ownership experience too. So maybe in doing the early oil change for him/her too.

Funny how your opening sentences completely contradict your closing. But I'm glad you do an early change and 5,000 mile intervals.
I also want the next owner of my car to have an outstanding ownership experience -- will likely be my grandson.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:19 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Frequency of oil changes is not related to oil consumption, the latter is going to be due to blowby on the rings or valve guide seals, etc.

I formed most all my oil ideas several years ago when I was an aviation consultant for the airlines and my company was involved in maintenance studies with several of the regional airlines on their Turboprops. They did exhaustive studies on their engines over many thousands of operating hours using various kinds of oil, weights and frequency of changes. Oil service was a major cost to them so they wanted maximum benefit vs frequency and cost of oil. Bottom line was synthetic oils, done to the manufacturer's recommended schedule. They saw no benefit in early changes, but definitely saw that synthetics outperformed dino oil in wear on engine teardowns. That study always stayed with me and I do my vehicles the same way as they do their Turboprops.
That's nice. (And I agree entirely, by the way.) However you should know that when aviation experience was brought up several times in the past it was always attacked as being utterly irrelevant to anything having to do with Porsches. But then maybe that's because the evidence was 100% completely supportive of STR! Funny how that works!

John Frank is Executive Director of the Cessna Pilots Association, a 14,000 hour ATP rated pilot and an A&P mechanic with inspection authorization, but he knows nothing- NOTHING!- because he advocates STR and says things like, "My experience is that if the engine isn't broken in at 10 hours, it just isn't going to happen" and "if you do the right thing during those first critical 2 or 3 hours of break-in, you'll get good ring seating and low oil consumption every time."

The first 2 or 3 hours! Imagine that! http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/1828...l?redirected=1
Old 12-12-2014, 03:21 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like these back and forth exchange of ideas even a little head butting can be productive.. Most of my beliefs on when to change oil date back to the 60's and 70's, that is to say change oil at 500 miles, then every 3000 to 5000 thereafter. My ideas are archaic by todays standards, however i do realize that my opinions are outdated so I am interested in hearing any time tested theories as long as they do not become strickly personal attacks .My best friend and mentor is Dutch and I am of German origin we fight and argue over how to build things, but it is a process that brings out the best in our work. Sometimes in the heat of battle we would go to opposite sides of the shop and work for hours to prove I WAS RIGHT. We are so stubborn that neither of us could be wrong so the results have to be good because (god forbid) if is not one of us has to admit we were wrong. I am retired now and I miss the productive skirmishes. The truth is there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I have never had a car that with reasonable care fail because of oil issues. When I own something that is manufactured or hand built to a high standard I enjoy maintaining it . I like to contemplate the extra work that goes into designing something that a lot of thought, skill, and care went into the original build while I am working on the object. Whenever anyone tells me that they own a Porsche with 200,000 miles or more on the clock it behoves me to listen. Maybe my opinions will become slightly less archaic. Sorry about the long post but I did not have the time to write a short one.

Last edited by wanderfalke; 12-14-2014 at 02:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Break-in service required?