Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is the stock sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:35 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts
Default How bad is the stock sound system?

I am finalizing my build for a GTS and am thinking about just having the stock stereo (as well as sunroof delete!). I find in my current 997 I love driving the car and listening to the engine I rarely listen to the radio unless my teenage daughter is with me. I don't think anyone is enamored with the Bose system but everyone gets it b/c of a perceived need to get something better than stock. My question is, is the base system at least decent to listen to for short periods and can it be linked via the Bluetooth phone option to stream music from my Ipod in these situations? Thanks
Jim
Old 11-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the Bose sound system sucks big time in the 991... for some reason it's a bit better in the 997.2tt. But if I'd order a car the Burmeister system would be a must.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

All this was covered already a couple weeks ago. I'll try to find the old post.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-30-2014, 04:02 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
All this was covered already a couple weeks ago. I'll try to find the old post.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
I think I did ask about it or start a thread months ago LexVan but did not hear much from anyone with the stock system (maybe b/c there are not many around!) I was also curious though about the ability to stream music via Bluetooth through the car base audio as I have enjoyed this option in my 2015 M4
J
Old 11-30-2014, 04:10 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interested in hearing feedback too. I'm in the same boat with a GTS build... don't need a "great" audio system but want to ensure that I can live for a long time with what I get.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I am fine with the base sound system. My wife has the Bose in her boxster and it is not 2k better than the base in my 991.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:25 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Maybe a member with a base sound system 991 will be at a Cars and Coffee or similar event and give us curious folks a listen... dealers seem to have only Bose or better around.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have the base system in my 991 and it is OK for me. I like most kinds of music from classical to jazz to grunge and it sounds fine but not exceptional. I would not upgrade.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:10 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

If you're a sunroof delete kinda guy, you will find the base stereo in the 991 acceptable. The Bose adds a sub & finer separates but at the end if the day the base stereo is more than sufficient for a drivers car like the 911.
I also looked for a sunroof delete car and almost went for a 4S at the dealership I purchased my car from because it was a sunroof delete. In fact the only three big options my car has is PDK, Chrono & PSE. No 24 way seats covered in deviated stitch leather or the Burmy. It also stays off if you turn it off and restart the car. Not that it's a big deal but so e guys hate it. The base does everything you need it to do. For what it's worth I have expensive separates (McIntosh) etc in my house, LP's and reel to reel and am ok with the base in the 911.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:50 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcusG
If you're a sunroof delete kinda guy, you will find the base stereo in the 991 acceptable. The Bose adds a sub & finer separates but at the end if the day the base stereo is more than sufficient for a drivers car like the 911.
I also looked for a sunroof delete car and almost went for a 4S at the dealership I purchased my car from because it was a sunroof delete. In fact the only three big options my car has is PDK, Chrono & PSE. No 24 way seats covered in deviated stitch leather or the Burmy. It also stays off if you turn it off and restart the car. Not that it's a big deal but so e guys hate it. The base does everything you need it to do. For what it's worth I have expensive separates (McIntosh) etc in my house, LP's and reel to reel and am ok with the base in the 911.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:11 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the Bose system in my '12 Cayman R. I agree that it's not worth the extra money. I think it only changes the amps, speakers and adds the subwoofer, leaving the standard spec tuner/CD player. I also think the standard tuner leaves a lot to be desired with respect to FM clarity, even with a strong signal. I would not get the Bose, but I would try to get the stand-alone HD Radio if it can be optioned separately. Have not heard one in a Porsche, but the HD sound in my BMW works very well. BMW's $700 Harman Kardon option is far better than any Bose in-car system I've ever heard. Too bad we can't get an aftermarket McIntosh amp and tuner. That would be worth spending some money to get. That's what it would take to get me to turn off the PSE listen to a radio.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:29 PM
vaderone
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My car came with the base system. I noticed the speakers vibrate and distort bass for voice on talk radio and music with a lot of bass.

Therefore, I believe it you listen to loud bass the stock system cannot handle the deeper frequencies and would consider upgrading. If not the base system is o.k.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:44 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 206 Posts

I am not an audiophile but the base sounds fine to me. I had and have a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept of high end mobile audio.

Last edited by rnl; 11-30-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:59 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Base is all u need in the GTS, upgrades are not worth it unless you are looking for luxury - IMHO
Old 11-30-2014, 08:42 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Those who have been through the configurator know that while the Bose system is $2,120, it includes a HD receiver which is $370 if added to the default system and SiriusXM (with traffic) which is another $750 on the default system. That means that the extra speakers, watts and base of the Bose along with an interface to a smart phone via "AHA-Radio" to web radio, etc. nets out at an additional $1,000.

I'm conflicted but am leaning toward keeping the Bose in my configuration.

Quick Reply: How bad is the stock sound system?