Sponsored by:

How bad is the stock sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 08:57 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Those who have been through the configurator know that while the Bose system is $2,120, it includes a HD receiver which is $370 if added to the default system and SiriusXM (with traffic) which is another $750 on the default system. That means that the extra speakers, watts and base of the Bose along with an interface to a smart phone via "AHA-Radio" to web radio, etc. nets out at an additional $1,000.

I'm conflicted but am leaning toward keeping the Bose in my configuration.
The stock definitely need an upgrade...I would never buy a car with base radio...
Old 11-30-2014, 09:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Guys, the car is probably 140K + with good options.

Splurge for the Bose at least!
Old 11-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree with most of the above; however, the only point I would add is if you are considering resale value, adding the Bose would most likely increase (or rather not having would disproportionately decrease) the potential sale value since most people buying a CPO would want this upgrade. If you know you are keeping the car then it doesn't matter. Just some food for thought.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If money is not an issue it can't hurt to get the Bose. Not necessary, but not a negative.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,989 Likes on 5,227 Posts

Well, the stock sound system is good enough for the GT3.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:16 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

BASE or Burmester.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
BASE or Burmester.
^^^--this.

You'll be disappointed in the Bose- I know I am. If you're going to pay extra, get the Burmester.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the base system and am perfectly happy with it. I did notice a step down in sound quality coming from a Karmen system but nothing to make me regret my choice. I listen to a lot of Music and talk on long journeys and never have any problems. You will not be able to upset the neighbours without distortion but for personal listening it's fine... Not orchestral... But fine.
Oh... And for Bluetooth you will need the mobile package... Then you're ready to go... But sound Quality is better when plugged in via usb.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:42 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the base system in my C2S and thought it was terrible. Bass was horrible. The TT comes with the Bose system. It is much, much better. At least get the Bose.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This list loves beating up on the Bose system. As I was working my way up the line at Best Buy on Thanksgiving night to finally add a sound bar to my two year old Samsung 60" TV, I was amazed to see so many Bose products at the top of the price range on every shelf of various products I slowly worked my way by . . . so others seem to value Bose products when mounted outside of Porsche automobiles.
With the $2,120 Bose system you are getting the $750 Sirius XM satellite capability built into your car (only an initial 90 days trial subscription included) and the $370 HD radio receiver . . . leaving $1,000 for the Bose 445 watt amplifier compared to the 235 watt standard amplifier, and 12 Bose speakers compared to the 9 standard speakers, and the Bose 200 watt subwoofer. The standard system does not provide a subwoofer to let passersby feel your rap music. The Bose system also includes their noise compensation automatic sound adjustment and has the capability of playing 5.1 digital recordings . . . which I guess are some sort of state of the art music format warranting turning off your PSE to fully enjoy.
The additional amplifier wattage and 3 more speakers and subwoofer on the Bose system may provide somewhat better fidelity at low listening levels or to catch the subtle nuances of disgust in Rush Limbaugh's voice.
But the Bose upgrade is over half way towards the $3,850 full leather interior giving you a smooth leather dashboard and door tops every time you drive your car versus the standard pebblegrain vinyl. Do you want to please your eyes or ears?
Old 12-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
This list loves beating up on the Bose system. As I was working my way up the line at Best Buy on Thanksgiving night to finally add a sound bar to my two year old Samsung 60" TV, I was amazed to see so many Bose products at the top of the price range on every shelf of various products I slowly worked my way by . . . so others seem to value Bose products when mounted outside of Porsche automobiles.
With the $2,120 Bose system you are getting the $750 Sirius XM satellite capability built into your car (only an initial 90 days trial subscription included) and the $370 HD radio receiver . . . leaving $1,000 for the Bose 445 watt amplifier compared to the 235 watt standard amplifier, and 12 Bose speakers compared to the 9 standard speakers, and the Bose 200 watt subwoofer. The standard system does not provide a subwoofer to let passersby feel your rap music. The Bose system also includes their noise compensation automatic sound adjustment and has the capability of playing 5.1 digital recordings . . . which I guess are some sort of state of the art music format warranting turning off your PSE to fully enjoy.
The additional amplifier wattage and 3 more speakers and subwoofer on the Bose system may provide somewhat better fidelity at low listening levels or to catch the subtle nuances of disgust in Rush Limbaugh's voice.
But the Bose upgrade is over half way towards the $3,850 full leather interior giving you a smooth leather dashboard and door tops every time you drive your car versus the standard pebblegrain vinyl. Do you want to please your eyes or ears?
...or buy into the hype, or simply don't know better. Bose has some good systems for sure, their stuff for Porsche ranges from bad to mediocre at best.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:21 PM
gusp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just like the guy asking for thoughts on the clear taillights.... it's personal preference dude. You gotta go to the dealer and sit in a car with the base system, and then one with Bose, and see for yourself. That's the only way. Everyone has different tastes. Sound is particularly tough because the same thing can sound very differently to different people.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
...or buy into the hype, or simply don't know better. Bose has some good systems for sure, their stuff for Porsche ranges from bad to mediocre at best.
Yeah I'd tend to disagree on that point, IMO Bose gear for the home is just overpriced nonsense... you don't see reviews on any Bose gear on high end audiophile websites/magazines for a reason.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:33 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by gusp
This is just like the guy asking for thoughts on the clear taillights.... it's personal preference dude. You gotta go to the dealer and sit in a car with the base system, and then one with Bose, and see for yourself. That's the only way. Everyone has different tastes. Sound is particularly tough because the same thing can sound very differently to different people.

^^^ This is all that has to be said.

Guys, the base setup doesn't have a sub so the door speakers are taking over that task. If you are into hip hop or rap you are going to hate the base system. If you listen to talk radio, classical, jazz, classic rock and PSE you will be fine. I'm unsure why some need a bluetooth module but my base allows full bluetooth capability. Also, if you don't care as much, you're not going to care about the sound quality or lack of with streaming bluetooth like I do and you can stream sat radio all day long with the bluetooth on the base no problem.

If my car came with Bose I wouldn't have cared but would have been pissed if my car had the Burmy and everything else that would have forced me into the Burmy. If it had the Bose at a couple extra large I wouldn't have cared wither way.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:49 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the base system in my 2014. It is fine. You're not going to hear anything of quality when the car is on the road, not with all of that tire noise. It also streams bluetooth, although I don't bother since I loaded all of my music into the car's internal jukebox, which is easier and doesn't kill my phone's battery.

I also did not order a sunroof. I don't miss it a bit.

Quick Reply: How bad is the stock sound system?