Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is the stock sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you spend a lot of time in parking lots listening to your radio get the Burmester.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:19 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you care about resale value, you better upgrade the stereo to at least Bose.

My friend has an R8 with the stock radio. Impossible to sell it now. He had to take at least $5,000 off his selling price to compensate.

And it's still not sold.

Just FYI.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:31 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry don't agree with the 5k off because of the stereo in the R8. The reason it's not selling could be mileage or color but most likely because the R8 is beyond its life cycle period, Audi should have redone the car earlier. A complete new car is being unveiled very soon basically the same car as the new Lambo Huracan. Sorry but when it comes to exotics the R8 is outdated and feels really old in its interior styling and exterior proportions, that is the main reason it's not selling IMO.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:37 PM
CMR
Intermediate

Jim,

I recently traded in my 2013 Boxster S with Bose for a 2013 C4S with Bose and had the cooling system issue with the 991. Long story short, I was given a Cayman loner with the base sound system and drove it for 2 weeks. The sound was terrible compared with Bose. If you have any interest in sound at all, I would highly recommend the upgrade to at least Bose. I noticed a tremendous difference between the base and Bose system in the 981 model. I'm sure that it translates to the 991.

That said, the Bose system wasn't great. But worth it IMHO.

And what's another couple thou when you have GTS money?
Old 12-01-2014, 07:48 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me say this another way.

A dealer will NEVER order a car for their lot without at least the Bose stereo.

The only time a dealer has a car on the lot with the stock stereo is from a customer order that did not get picked-up.

Just saying...
Old 12-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

I think the stock system in the GTS is actually the sound package plus correct? Not the stock stock 4 speakers.

From memory the sound package plus has like 9 speakers, Amps and like 200+ watt.

Now, the stock stock 4 speakers really does suck. But the sound package plus is actually acceptable.

You are not going to be able to do any critical listening in it. But it livable.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Both Base and Bose are Cr@p, muddy sound with no highs and lows.
I prefer the Bose because it sounds louder, The base is so weak.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks for reaffirming my decision to go with the Burmester. I know the 991 is not the optimal vehicle for a stereo peiod but given it is my daily driver and I'm often sitting in traffic having the best sound option its worth it to me.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:20 PM
gusp
Instructor

Wait, this is for a GTS?? Oh man, just get the Bose!

The real question would be Bose or Burmester.... but it's pretty apparent you don't want/need the Burmester, so the Bose will do.

btw, I did not mean for my prior response to sound so short. Just keepin it real I guess.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by gusp
Wait, this is for a GTS?? Oh man, just get the Bose! The real question would be Bose or Burmester.... but it's pretty apparent you don't want/need the Burmester, so the Bose will do. btw, I did not mean for my prior response to sound so short. Just keepin it real I guess.
I agree.

The Bose is a good enough if your description of your needs are what you noted. Having the Bose is good for resale too. The Burmeister is even better, but you'll barely he anything back resale wise from what you spend on it.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I like the base

I have the base and while I'm not an audiophile I've enjoyed listening to music using it. I've never noticed any problems or wish it could do any more than it does. It sounds pretty good to me.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I have the base and while I'm not an audiophile I've enjoyed listening to music using it. I've never noticed any problems or wish it could do any more than it does. It sounds pretty good to me.
IF you are a true audiophile, even getting the burmester won't be sufficient.

IMO, just get the base. Keep the car as basic as possible and depreciation will be lowest.

Basic rule, only get option that you enjoy. You will never get 100% of the option price come resale (you can bet on that). A base car may be harder to sell, but price generally does not suffer much.

Dealer will always order loaded cars, because profit margin is higher. They add the BOSE because it is easily identified by buyers.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

One other thing that I do not think was mentioned is that you can't get online services a la carte with the GTS.

While the Aha app might not be great, you never know what will come out next year that may require online services.

Just a thought.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:33 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

FWIW my car was not a customer order car. The dealer I purchased from is known to have a couple of Jenna Jameson's on the lot at any one time. Also explains the sunroof delete, PDK, Chrono, PSE 4S I almost bought. 4 way seats and base leather. Only difference between that car and mine was the sunroof in glass. I was really holding out for a GT3 but knew my order would be 8 months away. Come to find out it would have been even longer because the stop sale. So glad I pulled the trigger on my S then and have enjoyed many months of trouble free motoring since.
Some dealers are mod friendly and a bit more performance oriented.

Another reason the GT3 doesn't offer a Bose or Burmy.

If you think you will regret even for a second not getting the Bose, just order it and don't look back. It's only a couple large.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:18 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

As many have stated, by the time you sell your car you probably won't get the money back on color/ options you have added BUT you get to enjoy it everyday while you owned it. What's $5000 in 3 years? $4.6 per day.

Quick Reply: How bad is the stock sound system?