Sponsored by:

No more PTS until MY '16

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:47 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

Eduardo,
The email I received indicated no PTS until June '15 production. I've lost faith in the system.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:46 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no doubt PTS in its current form is getting in the way of Porsche's profits and margins ..
Old 11-12-2014, 11:15 AM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Seems to me Porsche could keep some more often ordered historic PTS colors available for a quicker turnaround time. If you requested something very uncommon or a non-Porsche color I guess I can understand the wait.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:45 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BED997
Seems to me Porsche could keep some more often ordered historic PTS colors available for a quicker turnaround time. If you requested something very uncommon or a non-Porsche color I guess I can understand the wait.
Exactly. Especially if they're not going to offer a green.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:50 AM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping for a few more options in color if PTS is not longer offered. I would love a Green and Orange color. Might even consider no going with blue on my next car if these were an option.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

So, does this mean I won't get my PTS C4S that I ordered months ago?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer
So, does this mean I won't get my PTS C4S that I ordered months ago?
not if your order is locked in and scheduled for production I believe.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:47 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

I spoke to Porsche about this matter and June may be the first month for PTS UNLESS there is a significant body change to the 911.....if so we are then looking at possibly August/September builds. A lot of guys had their PTS order cancelled including my Targa 4S in Aetna Blue for a client.....which means I now have a Targa 4S allocation I need to fill.....and a very unhappy client!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
I spoke to Porsche about this matter and June may be the first month for PTS UNLESS there is a significant body change to the 911.....if so we are then looking at possibly August/September builds. A lot of guys had their PTS order cancelled including my Targa 4S in Aetna Blue for a client.....which means I now have a Targa 4S allocation I need to fill.....and a very unhappy client!
Oh CRAP - thank goodness I didn't ask for PTS on the Cabriolet!

Aetna Blue - that would have been sweet Brett!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

I was told this afternoon that my Carmine Red C4S Duck Tail that was ordered May 21 is going into the body shop in two days for its beginning. They say mid Jan. delivery in Washington.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

The following was posted in the 'Custom Ordering a 991' thread:

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
I in fact got my PTS allocation confirmed for late Feb 2015. Was getting very worried there for a few days. Sorry to the others - PTSsssed off I totally feel for you !
So it seems that previously confirmed PTS orders for up to Feb are still valid!

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
I spoke to Porsche about this matter and June may be the first month for PTS UNLESS there is a significant body change to the 911.....if so we are then looking at possibly August/September builds.
Can someone that knows very well Sascha, Melissa, Matthew or the new US manager at 'Porsche Exclusive' at PCNA (or 'Exclusive' in Germany) please confirm for us what has been told to 'Sonnen' & 'Keadog' re: PTS for the balance of MY2015. We need a better explanation for why PAG has made this change and it's parameters, so that folks can plan their custom orders accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-14-2014, 10:53 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I can understand the delay (and costs) associated with testing and certifying a new Porsche color. But once any one of those colors is approved for any given model, that's where it ends for me. From that point on the pigments and carriers and spraying technicals are all known. Porsche acts as if people will believe its all some deep dark black magic when in fact what can there possibly be to it other than order the paint and load it in the equipment and spray it on when the car comes down the line. Exact same thing they do all year long anyway. Of course they are going to make you jump through hoops and pay through the nose. $500 difference in thread price if its called "deviated", nevermind its the same color they're using all day anyway. So of course the "deviated" paint called Paint to Sample, even though its really only PTS the FIRST TIME, after that its PTF- Paint to Formula- has to cost thousands more. Okay. But what's their reason for it being so hard to schedule?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default A different point of view...

Originally Posted by chuck911
But once any one of those colors is approved for any given model, that's where it ends for me.
Well, that is not where the costs of PTS end for Porsche. Read this old post that I wrote for the gt3 forum when a standard paint 'white' bumper on a brand new 991 gt3 didn't match exactly the rest of the body and you'll get the idea:

Originally Posted by Z356
The bumpers are not only painted separately...they even perhaps by-passed Zuffenhausen's paint booth altogether and were painted by an outside vendor & delivered fully assembled for 'just-in-time' and 'just-in-sequence' at the final assembly line at Porsche!

As an aside, if you think 'White' is hard to match on the plastic bumper of a gt3, imagine PAG's Quality Control engineers or the bean counters in their Warranty Department enormous concern (technical & financial) for matching PTS colors on those bumpers and avoiding this type of warranty issues on those special custom-paint cars!!!! If you look it from their perspective, they would cancel PTS and CXX special options in a nano-second. That PTS is still alive at Porsche is a miracle...regardless the $5500 expense. The engineers and accountants would rather not take the risk of the warranty claims. And if you look at the expense of feasibility study for color, PTS paint ordering & handling process, the additional logistical issues involved in coordinating all the painted parts that goes into a vehicle (e.g. a gt3) and the accounting reserves in case of warranty claims, PAG might be able to make the case they break even, or lose money, on each PTS order they sell! What they gain by PTS is not profit...but the ability to satisfy a client with the ultimate personal customization of his/her vehicle, something which is not often offered by the competition. That is the key benefit of PTS & 'Porsche Exclusive'. Remember all of this when you hear folks complaining about the 'high cost' of PTS at Porsche...it's a bargain in my opinion.
Hopefully, that will give our readers a different perspective as to how some folks at Porsche look at 'PTS'...or 'deviating stitching' for that matter. Just be aware that there are many ongoing debates at PAG regarding 'Porsche Exclusive', the logistics of doing those options and their associated costs. Should they bother with it? Should they charge more for it?

But the facts are that the coordination, tracking, handling, paperwork & implied warranties of PTS do not terminate for Porsche where you think it 'ends'! So the additional 'costs' of PTS on a Porsche vehicle are real and quantifiable. And for years down the road, even after a PTS car was built & delivered to its customer. Think it over...and you'll conceivably understand what I mean.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 11-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

No explanation was given as to why the ordered cars were cancelled. PTS is done for the 2015 model year and will not be opening up again until July at the very earliest, if then, depending on the 2016 model body being changed or not. My feeling is PTS is not a priority at all currently in the scheme of things at Porsche. Sascha is not with Exclusive any longer Eduardo FYI.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:07 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche is now mass market like Toyota, no "Exclusive" anything anymore.

it's all about volume

Quick Reply: No more PTS until MY '16