Sponsored by:

GTS build question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:46 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default GTS build question

I'm looking into a new GTS. I think it has all the things I want at the price I am willing to pay. Was looking into what everyone thinks about this build. Also yes I know it depreciates but am I going to overly lose my shirt when I want to sell for a GT3 3-4 years from now. I tried to keep it minimal as possible. I wanted a 997.2 GT3 but everyone says that is a bad idea of a DD. Can't afford a 991 GT3 and a 997.2 turbo S is a little too numb. So this is N/A, power kit, everything good is standard, and it has the wider stance on a rear wheel drive car. What's not to love?

GTS coupe
guards red
20 inch black turbo S center locks
bose audio
park assist from and rear
aero kit
PDK
power steering plus
leather steering wheel

So 11k in options. MSRP of 126k. I can get about 10k off.

Nothing too crazy. Now I'm wondering is no one going to buy this car because it doesn't have seat heating or full leather? I noticed a lot of 997.2 GTS don't have full leather or seat heating so I figured this wouldn't be that much of an issue.

The full leather adds 4k but 115k really is the max I am willing to spend but if it's going to make me trapped with the car, then it's a small price to pay if I get that back come resale.

So let me know.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:57 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't think leather is that big of a deal, but a heated seat is definitely worth the 500 clams. All Porsches will drop like a stone, I think the key is not to have any regrets. It's not an investment, it's the achievement of a dream. I would encourage you to approach it as such, be thankful you can do it and relish every day. It's a special car and a great community you'll be joining !
Old 11-01-2014, 11:41 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
I don't think leather is that big of a deal, but a heated seat is definitely worth the 500 clams. All Porsches will drop like a stone, I think the key is not to have any regrets. It's not an investment, it's the achievement of a dream. I would encourage you to approach it as such, be thankful you can do it and relish every day. It's a special car and a great community you'll be joining !
Yea I figured...this will be my first porsche. I just get depressed though when the value plummets lol. So I was hoping if I keep it minimal I can minimize the damage since I will switch to GT3 as soon as I am able.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:50 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Yea I figured...this will be my first porsche. I just get depressed though when the value plummets lol. So I was hoping if I keep it minimal I can minimize the damage since I will switch to GT3 as soon as I am able.
You won't think of the depreciation when you're enjoying the drive.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:08 AM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Lose the CLs. Unless you just love the look, I don't think they are worth it.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:11 AM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think depreciation is a bigger problem with all of the high price cars if you intend to sell it in the next 3-4 years. In my experience your better off not going crazy on Porsche options and keeping the cars 5+ years and not going crazy on the miles driven. But in the end I agree with others here its not an investment and you should get the options you want.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:17 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by redlightrich
I consider CL's to be an anti-theft feature.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:37 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Yea I figured...this will be my first porsche. I just get depressed though when the value plummets lol..
So I'm driving west out of Jackson Hole climbing this twisty mountain pass called Hwy 22 with the only traffic being this black BMW, 740 I think. Which can hardly be called traffic, its just me and him, and he's actually going pretty damn fast, just not quite fast enough for me, but fast enough I have to work a bit to get by him on this twisty climb. Thought I'd left him behind but later on the flat here he comes. Next thing you know the two of us are cruising along at a solid 125. When he stopped for gas I decided I could use some too, and after complimenting each other on our well-maintained 20+ year old cars he starts lamenting how much his has depreciated.

I asked, Is there some reason you have to sell it? No.

Is there anything wrong with it? No.

Do you still enjoy driving it? Yes.

Then it seems to me you have a great car there. What does it matter what anyone else thinks its worth?

And there you go.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:32 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
So I'm driving west out of Jackson Hole climbing this twisty mountain pass called Hwy 22 with the only traffic being this black BMW, 740 I think. Which can hardly be called traffic, its just me and him, and he's actually going pretty damn fast, just not quite fast enough for me, but fast enough I have to work a bit to get by him on this twisty climb. Thought I'd left him behind but later on the flat here he comes. Next thing you know the two of us are cruising along at a solid 125. When he stopped for gas I decided I could use some too, and after complimenting each other on our well-maintained 20+ year old cars he starts lamenting how much his has depreciated.

I asked, Is there some reason you have to sell it? No.

Is there anything wrong with it? No.

Do you still enjoy driving it? Yes.

Then it seems to me you have a great car there. What does it matter what anyone else thinks its worth?

And there you go.
Yea good point. We are getting to the point where it' like how much more car do you want? Honestly I just want a GT3 and then like a cayenne turbo as the DD and I'm set till I can afford a ferrari .

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
I consider CL's to be an anti-theft feature.
Good point

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
I think depreciation is a bigger problem with all of the high price cars if you intend to sell it in the next 3-4 years. In my experience your better off not going crazy on Porsche options and keeping the cars 5+ years and not going crazy on the miles driven. But in the end I agree with others here its not an investment and you should get the options you want.
Well that is why I added only 11k in options. But I feel a 126k car needs to have full leather. And the extra 4k adds about 40 bucks to the car payment so it's probably worth it.

Originally Posted by redlightrich
I do love the look. Plus I'm never going to change my own tires. The dealership will do it. When I go to the track it will just be on the OEM tires till they wear out. Plus they are free so of course they are worth it. And I'm not going on any long road trips with this car so if I get a hole in my tire (which no doubt will eventually happen) again the dealership will take care of it.

I really don't understand people's problem with the center locks. I mean unless they want to take their tires on and off all the time, which I don't understand that either.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

keep the CLs, and the alacantara ...
Old 11-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Agree with Larry. It's a nice build. However;

Lose the Power Steering Plus and add heated seats.

- I've got power steering plus and have driven numerous 991s without it. If I was buying your car as a second owner I wouldn't care that it didn't have it. Some would care that it does.

- add heated seats. I'd favor a car with them.

Doing these two things will almost break even for you, and make your car slightly easier to sell. Plus, the heated seats are nice.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

- I've got power steering plus and have driven numerous 991s without it. If I was buying your car as a second owner I wouldn't care that it didn't have it. Some would care that it does.

Doing these two things will almost break even for you, and make your car slightly easier to sell. Plus, the heated seats are nice.
+1
Old 11-02-2014, 03:17 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

I also vote +1 for this
Old 11-02-2014, 03:27 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

I don't mind keeping power steering, its a 250 option. I will add heated seats. So why does everyone care so much about heated seats but not ventilated? So no one cares about full leather really? I find that interesting.

But yea thanks for the more recent comments, this is the kind of stuff I wanted to know. Rather than people just telling me "oh the car depreciates blah blah" or I shouldn't care about depreciation.

Now do people prefer alcantara wheel or leather wheel? Also are there any other options that are missing that should be included?
Old 11-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

I'm probably in the minority, but I like the rear wiper over the sensors and camera. Much cheaper and I don't mind how it looks. In our Cayman, it is very hard to see out the back when the window is wet. We were on the fence with the wiper and elected not to get it at the last moment. Getting the rear wiper was a no brainer for us with the 991. As much as some folks don't like the look of the wiper, the sensors in the front/rear body just break up the appearance and I always notice them. The way they have incorporated the rear wiper these days doesn't detract from it's appearance IMO.

The smoking package is a zero cost option. It adds another 12v plug in and I like the look of the closed compartment.

Heated seats: Salesman convinced us to get them on our Cayman in Florida. We were skeptical but went with it. He said they ordered every car with heated seats. He said that the seats were equally as good for cold weather as they were for back aches and he was right. Ended up injuring my back the week after we got the car and those heated seats were great. Last I checked I'm not getting any younger. Any time we take our parents for a ride, they rave about the heated seats.

Auto Dim Mirrors - should be standard. However, after having them in our Yukon and the Cayman, I never want to be without it. No more glare and running your night vision.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: GTS build question