Sponsored by:

GTS build question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 04:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
I like to parallel park with an imaginative latte in my hand, since actual drinks are not allowed in my cars with the exception of water.
good man!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Axxlrod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into a new GTS. I think it has all the things I want at the price I am willing to pay. Was looking into what everyone thinks about this build. Also yes I know it depreciates but am I going to overly lose my shirt when I want to sell for a GT3 3-4 years from now. I tried to keep it minimal as possible. I wanted a 997.2 GT3 but everyone says that is a bad idea of a DD. Can't afford a 991 GT3 and a 997.2 turbo S is a little too numb. So this is N/A, power kit, everything good is standard, and it has the wider stance on a rear wheel drive car. What's not to love?

GTS coupe
guards red
20 inch black turbo S center locks
bose audio
park assist from and rear
aero kit
PDK
power steering plus
leather steering wheel

So 11k in options. MSRP of 126k. I can get about 10k off.

Nothing too crazy. Now I'm wondering is no one going to buy this car because it doesn't have seat heating or full leather? I noticed a lot of 997.2 GTS don't have full leather or seat heating so I figured this wouldn't be that much of an issue.

The full leather adds 4k but 115k really is the max I am willing to spend but if it's going to make me trapped with the car, then it's a small price to pay if I get that back come resale.

So let me know.
GTS allocations are going to be somewhat limited I believe. How do you know you can get $10K off? Maybe on one that is still sitting on a dealer lot when the new model is released, but that's a little way off.

Since you know you will only have this car for 3 or 4 years, then maybe consider a 36 month lease. You won't have to worry about finding a buyer at the end of the term, and that frees you up to order the car the way you want and not worry about options for resale ability.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:09 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
GTS allocations are going to be somewhat limited I believe.
I doubt it. Maybe initially MY2015 allocs will be hard to come by, but that happens for all new model intros.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
I doubt it. Maybe initially MY2015 allocs will be hard to come by, but that happens for all new model intros.
probably not as hard to come by as a GT3 build, definitely not a limited production model.

Can anyone recall how long the 997.2 GTS production was, and how many were produced?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:30 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Axxlrod
GTS allocations are going to be somewhat limited I believe. How do you know you can get $10K off? Maybe on one that is still sitting on a dealer lot when the new model is released, but that's a little way off.

Since you know you will only have this car for 3 or 4 years, then maybe consider a 36 month lease. You won't have to worry about finding a buyer at the end of the term, and that frees you up to order the car the way you want and not worry about options for resale ability.
I have a good relationship with my local dealer. I don't want to lease. I don't feel like wasting 50+k and nothing to show for it. Plus 3-4 years is an estimate. Something may come up and it may take me 6 years. I don't know. Sh** happens . I can pretty much get whatever deal I want on any car with the exception of the GT3 or GT3 RS. There is just too much demand so they won't make me pay MSRP, but I won't get 10k off either. Unless of course the hype already died down and everyone who wanted one first got it already.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't mind keeping power steering, its a 250 option. I will add heated seats. So why does everyone care so much about heated seats but not ventilated? So no one cares about full leather really? I find that interesting.

But yea thanks for the more recent comments, this is the kind of stuff I wanted to know. Rather than people just telling me "oh the car depreciates blah blah" or I shouldn't care about depreciation.

Now do people prefer alcantara wheel or leather wheel? Also are there any other options that are missing that should be included?
Are you getting the car for your self or for the next owner?
The best way to avoid depreciation on a 911 is by not buying a 911.

1. Figure out what you need / must have /can live with .... Be it Ferrari or GT3
2. Test drive It
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zohan
Are you getting the car for your self or for the next owner?
The best way to avoid depreciation on a 911 is by not buying a 911.

1. Figure out what you need / must have /can live with .... Be it Ferrari or GT3
2. Test drive It
Again as I said, I don't want to option it in a way where I do too much that I lose my shirt, or I don't do the right options and I'm stuck with it. I want the car, enjoy the car, then when I want to get rid of it, I want it to be quick and painless.

Anyways I more or less got the info I needed from those who contributed properly to this thread so I thank them.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I love my leather. I can't imagine a 120,000 car without real leather. I have had my car a year and already got the enjoyment coat from touching real leather as apprised to the stuff in the base.

I know. Lot don't agree but that is my .02
Old 11-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey
A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: "You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?"
So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."

Well, the Man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours and your hulking son?"

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

"That will teach you," said an old man who had followed them:

"Please all, and you will please none."
Old 11-04-2014, 11:05 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
Well I love my leather. I can't imagine a 120,000 car without real leather. I have had my car a year and already got the enjoyment coat from touching real leather as apprised to the stuff in the base.

I know. Lot don't agree but that is my .02
I agree with this. A 100+k needs real leather. It's kinda stupid porsche makes it an option.

Originally Posted by Zohan
The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey
A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: "You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?"
So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."

Well, the Man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours and your hulking son?"

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

"That will teach you," said an old man who had followed them:

"Please all, and you will please none."
This story is just depressing. Why did the donkey have to die?
Old 11-04-2014, 01:42 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with this. A 100+k needs real leather. It's kinda stupid porsche makes it an option.
That would be because Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes-AMG, all consider Alcantara to be a sportier upholstery. It is grippier, too, which is great for when using these cars for their originally intended purpose. I realize many don't consider it to be "premium" compared to real leather (and it is not), but I do consider it part of the GTS appeal. Luckily, you can eliminate it pretty easily if you don't.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

That would be because Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Mercedes-AMG, all consider Alcantara to be a sportier upholstery. It is grippier, too, which is great for when using these cars for their originally intended purpose. I realize many don't consider it to be "premium" compared to real leather (and it is not), but I do consider it part of the GTS appeal. Luckily, you can eliminate it pretty easily if you don't.
+1
Old 11-04-2014, 05:05 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

When I said leather, I meant as oppose to the fake vinyl faux leather the base gets. Not alcantara. I love alcantara.

Quick Reply: GTS build question