Sponsored by:

CL wheels - unemotional perspective please

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Flat tires where the dealer can't get to you in time. Bob's in the corner has never seen CL wheels to help you in the middle of nowhere...
Anyway...if you don't track and like them,there's no issue,go ahead and order CLs.
That's probably the #1 shortcoming of CLs right there...
Old 10-09-2014, 07:59 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I've written at length about my dislike of the CL's. But I'll temper that with the acknowledgment that my issues are because I go through so many tires.

IF you're going to use the car only on the street, and you intend to have your tire replacement done by a dealer, then the reasons against CL's dissipate.

But recognize that flats do happen, and Porsche Roadside may not be an attractive alternative. Depending on where you travel, you could end up many hours from the nearest dealer - but close to a tire shop. (That won't have tires that fit - they'll have to be ordered.) And that tire shop probably won't have a big enough torque wrench to properly reinstall your wheel.

There is a temporary work-around that's detailed in the owner's manual. I would urge you buy a collapsible breaker bar, 4' long, 1/2" head (Suncoast has them - I got mine there) and keep it in the car at all times. And keep the manual in the car also!

Do those things, accept some potential hassles - and if you like the CL's better, go ahead and get them! They're not defective wheels, they're not bad -- they're just more work. If you're OK with that then do it.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
well said.
^^^ agree with both posts. There is nothing wrong with the new, revised CL design if properly maintained and installed/checked as per Porsche procedure. It's just that the effort is quite a bit more involved than 5 lugs. Even dealer's service techs will sometimes not follow the procedure and not double check that the locking pin is fully engaged with the wheel bolt. It can be a safety issue, so I'd add that if you like and want CL's, get them but also familiarize yourself completely with the procedure, especially the ability to check that the lock is engaged with the wheel bolt. Ask your service manager to print you a copy of the workshop manual pages, most of them will do that for you. It's called Removing and Installing Wheel with Central Bolt (WM#440519). A lot more detail than you want unless you are a DIY'er, but IMO good info to have nevertheless.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stronbl
^^^ agree with both posts. There is nothing wrong with the new, revised CL design if properly maintained and installed/checked as per Porsche procedure. It's just that the effort is quite a bit more involved than 5 lugs. Even dealer's service techs will sometimes not follow the procedure and not double check that the locking pin is fully engaged with the wheel bolt. It can be a safety issue, so I'd add that if you like and want CL's, get them but also familiarize yourself completely with the procedure, especially the ability to check that the lock is engaged with the wheel bolt. Ask your service manager to print you a copy of the workshop manual pages, most of them will do that for you. It's called Removing and Installing Wheel with Central Bolt (WM#440519). A lot more detail than you want unless you are a DIY'er, but IMO good info to have nevertheless.
This is critical info.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:44 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I'd suggest that the new design hasn't been out long enough to truly know if there's really an issue with it yet. Porsche released faulty CL wheels on the 997 and the centerlock setup in the 991 street cars is still not the same as what they use in the Cup. I would hate to be one of those guys tracking their car who all of a sudden lose a wheel either due to a faulty design or a faulty technician not properly installing them.

There's almost no drawback to getting the free painted 5 lug wheels, selling them off to one of the million guys out there who want a factory black wheel, and buying yourself a forged set of something better looking than either design made by HRE, BBS, etc...
Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Hey,you can always enjoy the procedure yourself. Bear in mind there will be some dirt/grease going under your nails. Or just wear gloves.
Enjoy your CLs. I want to burn the hubs.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,175 Likes on 707 Posts

CLs look great but seems a lot more trouble than they are worth. Get a flat and take it to a shop, they are guaranteed to screw it up. Get a flat and take it to a Porsche dealer, there is a 50/50 chance they will screw it up.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

That's a great video, really cool to see how everything works, but I really doubt its necessary to take the bolt apart and reapply lube every single time. So it makes it look harder than it is. Still, I would not want to have these and not have all the tools and lube, because yes "they are guaranteed to screw it up." Of course "they" have just about always screwed up even 5 lug wheels. So nothing new there. Probably totally worth it for the look. The one thing for sure is, its a more expensive option. But delete it, you get none of that back. Can you say, Thank You sir, may I have another?
Old 10-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
That's a great video, really cool to see how everything works, but I really doubt its necessary to take the bolt apart and reapply lube every single time. So it makes it look harder than it is. Still, I would not want to have these and not have all the tools and lube, because yes "they are guaranteed to screw it up." Of course "they" have just about always screwed up even 5 lug wheels. So nothing new there. Probably totally worth it for the look. The one thing for sure is, its a more expensive option. But delete it, you get none of that back. Can you say, Thank You sir, may I have another?
In food speak, it certainly doesn't taste like "more please"
Old 10-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

center locks are a solution in search of a problem....

no way I"d get them on the GTS.....have a 7.2 GT3 RS that has them...

CLs transforms swapping wheels from a straightforward 30 minute job into a fricking multi-hour process..with frequently revised...don't screw them up fitment steps...

on top of all that ..opting for center locks ....reduces your set of wheel options dramatically...

I tolerate them on the RS..but would NEVER order them if i had a choice.

/rant off
Old 10-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
center locks are a solution in search of a problem....

no way I"d get them on the GTS.....have a 7.2 GT3 RS that has them...

CLs transforms swapping wheels from a straightforward 30 minute job into a fricking multi-hour process..with frequently revised...don't screw them up fitment steps...

on top of all that ..opting for center locks ....reduces your set of wheel options dramatically...

I tolerate them on the RS..but would NEVER order them if i had a choice.

/rant off
I tend to agree, although I think the CLs have been around long enough that there is a fair set of aftermarket options available ... although not as much as 5 lug.

I dont know why Porsche in their infinite wisdom decided not to off the full range of wheels for the GTS that are available on the other S models ... I'm
not a fan of the 'Carerra S' wheel ... but would have considered the 'Classic' had it been on offer...

I think that since the CL is an intrinsic part of the GTS experience that I will probably get it, although again I would like silver/platinum paint options as black does not go with every exterior color...
Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having read this thread, I now understand the disadvantages of CL wheels. But there must be some functional advantages; otherwise, Porsche wouldn't have implemented them. So what are the advantages of CL wheels, if any? (I can google it. But I want to hear other members' opinions about the advantages.)
Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by coxswain
Having read this thread, I now understand the disadvantages of CL wheels. But there must be some functional advantages; otherwise, Porsche wouldn't have implemented them. So what are the advantages of CL wheels, if any? (I can google it. But I want to hear other members' opinions about the advantages.)
Are we being sarcastic? Because there are numerous "features" on a Porsche that don't have any functional advantage. As far as the CL's go, IIRC they are a wee bit lighter than the 5-bolt wheels. (Then again, the complexities of the CL locking nut and associated parts surely weighs more than 5 simple wheel bolts.) That's it for any functional benefit. But they look cool and might help sell some cars -- THAT'S the real benefit. And in terms of looks, I liked the 997.2 CL's better - black with polished rims - instead of the all-black of the 991's CLs.

I've had them, I lived with them for two years, and I don't want them again.

DMoore
'13 991S (about to order my 991 GTS)
'13 970GTS
Old 10-10-2014, 10:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

There are many advantages :

The most important one : BECAUSE RACE CAR!

The rest you can find here :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...onversion.html

And here :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ew-recall.html

And here :

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ck-wheels.html
Old 10-10-2014, 10:52 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
Are we being sarcastic? Because there are numerous "features" on a Porsche that don't have any functional advantage. As far as the CL's go, IIRC they are a wee bit lighter than the 5-bolt wheels. (Then again, the complexities of the CL locking nut and associated parts surely weighs more than 5 simple wheel bolts.) That's it for any functional benefit. But they look cool and might help sell some cars -- THAT'S the real benefit. And in terms of looks, I liked the 997.2 CL's better - black with polished rims - instead of the all-black of the 991's CLs.

Hmm. . . So, basically, "looking cool" is the only benefit?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The functional advantages are all for racing: faster wheel changes, slightly lower rotational mass. These are real advantages, for racing.

If Porsche really wanted to make a wheel that would bring true functional performance advantages to the street they would dump CL's and develop an all carbon fiber wheel. A carbon fiber wheel would be about 1/3 the weight while giving a greatly improved ride and lower noise due to the vibration damping characteristics of carbon fiber.

Quick Reply: CL wheels - unemotional perspective please