Sponsored by:

CL wheels - unemotional perspective please

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:17 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts
Default CL wheels - unemotional perspective please

I'm one of the guys who has switched his order to the new GTS and need help on the CL wheel decision. I know that there are pretty visceral negative reactions to the CL wheels, but I don't know whether the negatives are pertinent to me . . . I don't track my cars . . . my dealer has replaced all tires (including one with a nail in it) in my three 911s . . . I really like the look of the CL wheels . . . and I really do not like the look of the standard wheels (a bit boring for my taste).

So for someone like me, are there reasons that I don't understand that I should consider before opting for CLs?
Old 10-09-2014, 01:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Flat tires where the dealer can't get to you in time. Bob's in the corner has never seen CL wheels to help you in the middle of nowhere...
Anyway...if you don't track and like them,there's no issue,go ahead and order CLs.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:40 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the look as well; this was one time where I went ahead and bought the wheel and tire insurance to make myself more comfortable, as I have no experience changing or working with CL.s
Old 10-09-2014, 02:46 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Nice upgrade! A friend is in the same "upgrade" process.
I think you have your own answers to the CL questions.
The real question now is... MT or PDK?

Old 10-09-2014, 03:00 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't flat tire service covered by Porsche Roadside Assistance anyways? So I'd go for it. For those that do track their cars, what exactly is the process and why is it so dreadful?
Old 10-09-2014, 03:05 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
The real question now is... MT or PDK?
There's only one correct answer to that question.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:12 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've written at length about my dislike of the CL's. But I'll temper that with the acknowledgment that my issues are because I go through so many tires.

IF you're going to use the car only on the street, and you intend to have your tire replacement done by a dealer, then the reasons against CL's dissipate.

But recognize that flats do happen, and Porsche Roadside may not be an attractive alternative. Depending on where you travel, you could end up many hours from the nearest dealer - but close to a tire shop. (That won't have tires that fit - they'll have to be ordered.) And that tire shop probably won't have a big enough torque wrench to properly reinstall your wheel.

There is a temporary work-around that's detailed in the owner's manual. I would urge you buy a collapsible breaker bar, 4' long, 1/2" head (Suncoast has them - I got mine there) and keep it in the car at all times. And keep the manual in the car also!

Do those things, accept some potential hassles - and if you like the CL's better, go ahead and get them! They're not defective wheels, they're not bad -- they're just more work. If you're OK with that then do it.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS
Old 10-09-2014, 03:31 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hinckley, I am in the same boat as you basically about the CL wheels! With that being said the new ones on the GTS do look so much better than the standard wheels, they really make the car IMO! The other benefit is since you are buying new you don't have to worry about previous damage to the CL wheels. This thread has answered a lot of my questions to and if I get the new GTS it will be with the CL wheels! My only issue is I wanted the Targa so I may just wait for the 2016 refresh to get it! I could live with the Cabriolet but I am going to wait until after the first of the year to see what 2016 updates will hopefully be! Good luck the new GTS is drop dead gorgeous and is the one to buy now for sure!!!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:53 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore

There is a temporary work-around that's detailed in the owner's manual. I would urge you buy a collapsible breaker bar, 4' long, 1/2" head (Suncoast has them - I got mine there) and keep it in the car at all times. And keep the manual in the car also!

Would a 3 foot 1/2" breaker bar work? Or perhaps this http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/36116100.html
Old 10-09-2014, 04:14 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Do those things, accept some potential hassles - and if you like the CL's better, go ahead and get them! They're not defective wheels, they're not bad -- they're just more work. If you're OK with that then do it.
D - thanks for your perspective and suggestions. It's exactly the sort of understanding I was looking for.

Originally Posted by tejstar01
My only issue is I wanted the Targa so I may just wait for the 2016 refresh to get it! I could live with the Cabriolet but I am going to wait until after the first of the year to see what 2016 updates will hopefully be! Good luck the new GTS is drop dead gorgeous and is the one to buy now for sure!!!
tejstar - thanks. I'm really excited about the GTS. I changed my order from a C4S Cab (that I wanted pretty much for the wide body) to a GTS 2 Cab. Since my C4S spec had a lot of options that are standard on the GTS, the GTS will actually cost about $3k less than the C4S. And I get a $13k powerkit thrown in as a freebie! Regarding your wait on the Targa, I owned a 996 and a 997 T4S (obviously, very different from the 991). And although I love the look of the 991 Targa, I just think there are too many downsides compared to the Cab. I'm hooked on the full vert thing now. But waiting to see what the refresh has in store can't be a bad thing. Except for the waiting of course . . .
Old 10-09-2014, 04:29 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
ejstar - thanks. I'm really excited about the GTS. I changed my order from a C4S Cab (that I wanted pretty much for the wide body) to a GTS 2 Cab. S
you love the wide body that much? thats commitment!!
Old 10-09-2014, 04:51 PM
tejstar01
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

D - thanks for your perspective and suggestions. It's exactly the sort of understanding I was looking for.

tejstar - thanks. I'm really excited about the GTS. I changed my order from a C4S Cab (that I wanted pretty much for the wide body) to a GTS 2 Cab. Since my C4S spec had a lot of options that are standard on the GTS, the GTS will actually cost about $3k less than the C4S. And I get a $13k powerkit thrown in as a freebie! Regarding your wait on the Targa, I owned a 996 and a 997 T4S (obviously, very different from the 991). And although I love the look of the 991 Targa, I just think there are too many downsides compared to the Cab. I'm hooked on the full vert thing now. But waiting to see what the refresh has in store can't be a bad thing. Except for the waiting of course . . .
I am with you and I do love the Cab also just really ove the Targa more! The one thing that I do not love about the Targa is having to do the 4wd...I prefer the 2S over the 4S and I really love the Extra widebody!! So a Cab GTS with just the rear wheel drive does have a lot of interest to me!! I can see the reason why they didn't offer the Targa version now since with that hugely complicated folding top would have cost them too much money probably to put it in the Extra Widebody version for just a one year production before they release the 2016 991.2 or 992 whichever they call it..lol
I did do a build and since I too have an option heavy build the GTS version does come out exactly 3K cheaper on my build also so it's definitely a no brainer with all the extras and even wider body!!!

Tough decisions and the wait will suck but I think I will wait until they release tech specs on the 2016 model since it will be a mid refresh!
Old 10-09-2014, 05:45 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsmitty
Would a 3 foot 1/2" breaker bar work? Or perhaps this http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/36116100.html
Yep, that's the one I bought from Suncoast. It works but you have to really tug at it. Even longer would be better, but this works.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS
Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I'm one of the guys who has switched his order to the new GTS and need help on the CL wheel decision. I know that there are pretty visceral negative reactions to the CL wheels, but I don't know whether the negatives are pertinent to me . . . I don't track my cars . . . my dealer has replaced all tires (including one with a nail in it) in my three 911s . . . I really like the look of the CL wheels . . . and I really do not like the look of the standard wheels (a bit boring for my taste).

So for someone like me, are there reasons that I don't understand that I should consider before opting for CLs?
NO. IMHO... enjoy your CLs ... those Carerra S wheels they offer as an option are lame!

If they had offered the other 5lugs as options that are available on other 991s I might have gone that route (Classic) ...
Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

I've written at length about my dislike of the CL's. But I'll temper that with the acknowledgment that my issues are because I go through so many tires.

IF you're going to use the car only on the street, and you intend to have your tire replacement done by a dealer, then the reasons against CL's dissipate.

But recognize that flats do happen, and Porsche Roadside may not be an attractive alternative. Depending on where you travel, you could end up many hours from the nearest dealer - but close to a tire shop. (That won't have tires that fit - they'll have to be ordered.) And that tire shop probably won't have a big enough torque wrench to properly reinstall your wheel.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 970GTS
well said.

Quick Reply: CL wheels - unemotional perspective please