Sponsored by:

WSJ today re new 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:21 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
"First, it has a seven-speed manual transmission, with a clutch pedal that the driver must operate with the left foot to engage and disengage the running engine from the drivetrain during gearshifts. This is affected by way of a mechanical-hydraulic linkage and a single clutch, somewhat like the new Studebaker (I'm kidding, there is no new Studebaker)." Oh man, that is the best description of the menial transmission ever!
Yup "elegant antiquation"
Old 09-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I test drove a Carrera S in late July before placing my order for a new 2015 Carrera S. A long-time fellow Porsche owner asked what I though as the newest 911 I have driven was back in the 1980's when a saleman begged me to take him for a test drive during the Porsche sales doldrums . . . as I was their first customer in several days. The following are my impressions having driven a 1965 911 for seven years and my current 1974 911S for the past 37 years:
"First impression was that the view of the gauges, windshield posts and headlight bumps out the windshield were totally familiar. The side mirrors are perfectly placed and sort of a triangular shape fully displaying the road. The quick automatic shifts in drive were unnatural . . . but the growl of the engine behind is a familiar feel. Remember, the newest 911 I have ever driven was back in the late 1980’s. The driving feel is very much the same. After driving through north Fresno traffic with a run up the freeway to the Madera County line at Valley Children’s Hospital overpass and back to Fresno . . . the car just felt familiar. Amazing that with all the snazzy PASM, electric boost replacing the earlier hydraulic boost steering, four inch longer wheelbase, huge thin tires . . . when accelerating on a 180 degree cloverleaf up onto the freeway it felt very familiar. I really do not think I need much modification of my past 43 years driving much less sophisticated 911 cars. So much just felt familiar. I have to tip my hat to Porsche on continually improving the car but not losing the rear engine boxer six feel. I really was anticipating it feeling much heavier and a totally unfamiliar car."
Old 09-07-2014, 09:32 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
I test drove a Carrera S in late July before placing my order for a new 2015 Carrera S. A long-time fellow Porsche owner asked what I though as the newest 911 I have driven was back in the 1980's when a saleman begged me to take him for a test drive during the Porsche sales doldrums . . . as I was their first customer in several days. The following are my impressions having driven a 1965 911 for seven years and my current 1974 911S for the past 37 years:
"First impression was that the view of the gauges, windshield posts and headlight bumps out the windshield were totally familiar. The side mirrors are perfectly placed and sort of a triangular shape fully displaying the road. The quick automatic shifts in drive were unnatural . . . but the growl of the engine behind is a familiar feel. Remember, the newest 911 I have ever driven was back in the late 1980’s. The driving feel is very much the same. After driving through north Fresno traffic with a run up the freeway to the Madera County line at Valley Children’s Hospital overpass and back to Fresno . . . the car just felt familiar. Amazing that with all the snazzy PASM, electric boost replacing the earlier hydraulic boost steering, four inch longer wheelbase, huge thin tires . . . when accelerating on a 180 degree cloverleaf up onto the freeway it felt very familiar. I really do not think I need much modification of my past 43 years driving much less sophisticated 911 cars. So much just felt familiar. I have to tip my hat to Porsche on continually improving the car but not losing the rear engine boxer six feel. I really was anticipating it feeling much heavier and a totally unfamiliar car."
What did you think of the brakes? That is one of my favorite features of the 991. Nice post Pete, enjoyed the time warp perspective.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:47 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
I wonder how many members are old enough to get that reference.
It'll probably turn out to be a very simple thing.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The power brakes on the 991 will take some getting used to . . . I kept throwing the salesman and myself forward for the first few blocks. My 1974 911 has the big S brakes which have been entirely satisfactory . . . but could well struggle to bring a 991 back from 187 miles per hour
Old 09-09-2014, 03:44 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great reading pete... Thanks for posting!

Quick Reply: WSJ today re new 911