Sponsored by:

Retrofit SPASM to PASM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
my $0.02 I think this guy is confusing PDCC with SPASM, admittedly I have not seen the underside of a 991, but I can tell you I have "NEVER" seen a swaybar droplink with any lines attached to them, that only makes sense for PDCC, since on a "normal" swaybar/droplink arrangement the swaybar and droplink "go nowhere together" (that is the droplink connects the free "arm" of the bar to the chassis thus creating a lever, its a purely mechanical arrangement) so there is nothing at the other end of the swaybar that would need any fluids etc ...

its also worth noting that it was possible to order SPASM and SPASM+PDCC variants, I think the dealer/parts guy is confusing these...

bottom line, you need someone who knows what Ixxx variant code in the parts catalog maps to SPASM to figure out what you need to do the retrofit.
Beat me to it!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,437 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Something not quite right there. The only links with lines and fluid are PDCC. Cars without PDCC use simple drop links. They may well be different as between PASM and Sport, but not as the dealer says. Study this article, especially the photo's, to see what I mean. http://www.elephantracing.com/tool-b...n-overview.htm
yep the dealer is confusing the SPASM+PDCC variant here with the 'simple' SPASM option ... clearly they are either stupid and/or lazy ...

I think the only way to make progress is either to find another dealer with a smarter parts guy, or find someone with a SPAM car, get a part # from their suspension (spring, shock etc) look it up in the pages I sent, find the Ixxx code for that part then look at all the others with a similar variant #
Old 08-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I missed a couple of pages:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PET2.pdf (327.6 KB, 263 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah I don't think this guy knows what the hell he is talking about.

He also suggested:
"Our shop foreman suggested visiting essexparts.com and they offer upgrading sway bars and such, which will work with your vehicle and the sway bar links you have."

Not sure why I would feel confident in the install at this dealer if I was to try this?
Old 08-26-2014, 05:39 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Something here I'm not quite getting. The differences between PASM and Sport are stiffer springs and bars, front spoiler and rear spoiler angle, and software. The software has to be different just to control the rear spoiler angle, even if nothing else. Which knowing Porsche I find hard to believe there is nothing else. Different shock control mapping, almost certainly.

But here's the thing- out of all that, you're okay leaving out all the aero stuff. (That's big, by the way, huge- even if you never go much over the limit aerodynamics are significant to handling even at speeds as low as 70 mph.) You're okay leaving the software alone. The main thing seems to be getting PASM Sport ride height.

So why not just change the springs, and call it good? Springs are cheap and easy, and will deliver your desired ride height. Stiffer springs will reduce body roll too, by the way. Realize that without the aero stuff you're never going to get more than maybe 80% of SPASM performance. (I feel I'm being generous here. Did I mention aero is a big deal?) In terms of what you're talking, springs will get you maybe 60-70%, bars another 5%, … and that's it.

Whatever you finally decide, I think one thing we all learned, the PASM Sport option is a stone bargain!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Something here I'm not quite getting. The differences between PASM and Sport are stiffer springs and bars, front spoiler and rear spoiler angle, and software. The software has to be different just to control the rear spoiler angle, even if nothing else. Which knowing Porsche I find hard to believe there is nothing else. Different shock control mapping, almost certainly.
that's why I wonder if there are different (PASM) shocks and controllers...

But here's the thing- out of all that, you're okay leaving out all the aero stuff. (That's big, by the way, huge- even if you never go much over the limit aerodynamics are significant to handling even at speeds as low as 70 mph.) You're okay leaving the software alone. The main thing seems to be getting PASM Sport ride height.

So why not just change the springs, and call it good? Springs are cheap and easy, and will deliver your desired ride height. Stiffer springs will reduce body roll too, by the way. Realize that without the aero stuff you're never going to get more than maybe 80% of SPASM performance. (I feel I'm being generous here. Did I mention aero is a big deal?) In terms of what you're talking, springs will get you maybe 60-70%, bars another 5%, … and that's it.

Whatever you finally decide, I think one thing we all learned, the PASM Sport option is a stone bargain!
He could do that, but if the PASM shocks and controllers are different for S-PASM the car wont ride well since (either) the shocks themselves or the
controller inputs wont match the spring rates ... not major but...
Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Skeptikal12
Yeah I don't think this guy knows what the hell he is talking about.

He also suggested:
"Our shop foreman suggested visiting essexparts.com and they offer upgrading sway bars and such, which will work with your vehicle and the sway bar links you have."

Not sure why I would feel confident in the install at this dealer if I was to try this?
My recommendation, call or email suncoastparts(.com) and ask them what it is you would need to convert your car to SPASM, if they dont know, only Zuffenhausen does!

If all you want to do is lower it, talk to GMG racing ... they can help you with aftermarket solutions.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:25 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
My recommendation, call or email suncoastparts(.com) and ask them what it is you would need to convert your car to SPASM, if they dont know, only Zuffenhausen does!
Yeah, and if there's one thing I've learned over the years its that the deeper you dig the more it turns out that only Zuffenhausen knows! These guys are famous for describing the most technical things in almost comic book terms. "You get the Sport button." People see that, they see all the options and models, and totally lose track of the fact it is only by their amazingly deep and comprehensive mastery of every aspect of automotive design and manufacture that they are able to so perfectly delineate this complex range of models and features in quantum steps from 991 to GT1. Here we have just one simple option, one little $890 tick box, and look at what it entails! But of course it only looks simple. And you know what? It is simple! For Zuffenhausen! Making it look easy… again….
Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

prost!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

I have the front lip spoiler and the rear is controlled by software. You can't just throw out #s without any proof as to how much each piece would contribute.

Without the rear spoiler deployed and with the hardware changes (so as long as the dampers are the same and not controlled differently via software), you would probably get all of the performance benefit at sane speeds.

You are correct though, adding options later isn't a good way to go about it. Best to click the option box if you ever are uncertain.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I have the front lip spoiler and the rear is controlled by software. You can't just throw out #s without any proof as to how much each piece would contribute.

Without the rear spoiler deployed and with the hardware changes (so as long as the dampers are the same and not controlled differently via software), you would probably get all of the performance benefit at sane speeds.

You are correct though, adding options later isn't a good way to go about it. Best to click the option box if you ever are uncertain.
+1 its usually cheaper!
Old 08-28-2014, 10:29 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Of course I can! Its called experience, having driven otherwise identical cars, that is to say cars that were the same except for different aero bits, or different springs and shocks. Like when I said above that the effects of things like spoilers are significant at speeds as low as 70 mph, that's from having driven 70 mph sections of track with cars with/without spoilers. Of course the benefit is much greater at higher speeds, but my point was these things matter even at street legal speeds.

But let's say you could care less about my personal driving experiences. That still leaves Porsche research I have seen where they recorded steering inputs while cars with and without spoilers were put into slides at 60-70 mph. Their test drivers were able to avoid a spin-out, but their steering inputs without spoilers were 50% or more greater. In other words the cars were sliding a lot more, handling a lot worse, barely controllable.

I know this is a hard thing to grasp, especially for someone who has probably never driven a car on the track, let alone enough different cars to have certain facts driven into them hard and deep. Put stiffer springs on a car, anyone can see the difference. Car sits lower. If that's all you want then fine, go for it. Enjoy yourself. But you didn't say just "look" you said "look/feel" and trust me, you are never going to get the "feel" without the full SPASM aero setup.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:53 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Of course I can! Its called experience, having driven otherwise identical cars, that is to say cars that were the same except for different aero bits, or different springs and shocks. Like when I said above that the effects of things like spoilers are significant at speeds as low as 70 mph, that's from having driven 70 mph sections of track with cars with/without spoilers. Of course the benefit is much greater at higher speeds, but my point was these things matter even at street legal speeds.

But let's say you could care less about my personal driving experiences. That still leaves Porsche research I have seen where they recorded steering inputs while cars with and without spoilers were put into slides at 60-70 mph. Their test drivers were able to avoid a spin-out, but their steering inputs without spoilers were 50% or more greater. In other words the cars were sliding a lot more, handling a lot worse, barely controllable.

I know this is a hard thing to grasp, especially for someone who has probably never driven a car on the track, let alone enough different cars to have certain facts driven into them hard and deep. Put stiffer springs on a car, anyone can see the difference. Car sits lower. If that's all you want then fine, go for it. Enjoy yourself. But you didn't say just "look" you said "look/feel" and trust me, you are never going to get the "feel" without the full SPASM aero setup.
If you have truly driven PASM and SPASM equipped cars with equal tires and tread wear over the same surface back to back and noticed Aero differences with the different angle of the rear spoiler and then in the end managed to put % number on that difference - then you are truly blessed.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:25 AM
chuck911
Race Car

If you have truly driven PASM and SPASM equipped cars with equal tires and tread wear over the same surface back to back and noticed Aero differences with the different angle of the rear spoiler and then in the end managed to put % number on that difference - then you are truly blessed.
Learn/snark- the choice is yours.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:22 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The programming for the rear spoiler would be different (as the rear spoiler raises on a higher angle when SPASM is optioned) but haven't head anything about the dampeners and them being different or having different programming...
Why would suspension options have anything to do with headlight or windshield washers? Now, I could understand why SPASM and PASM might have different dampers (shock absorbers)...

Quick Reply: Retrofit SPASM to PASM?