Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20k service question - dealer ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 20k service question - dealer ripoff?

So, I just got a 20k service from the dealer - I am at 13.5k miles but its been two years. There were a few surprises on the final work order, although the price was what was quoted.

The work order shows the dealer put in a fuel decarbonizer and ethanol corrosion preventer. Now, I know DFI engine are notorious for having problems with ethanol, but is this something normal that you have seen dealers put in?

Ok, so the second thing I noticed was just this evening when I was filling one of my tires (it was 1-2 psi off and I am kind of picky about that stuff). I opened up the frunk plastic cover to get the air pump out, and noticed the cabin air filter was a bit dirty looking. Popped the cover, pulled it out and found what you see in the images below. Now, I had only driven around 30 miles since I picked up the car - should the filter be that dirty after just a few miles?

Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 AM
romansroad
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hmmmmm.

The carbon filters are colored like that, but yours looks like they " forgot" to change it. Funny how they didn't forget to charge you.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:08 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

I believe what you're trying to say is that the in cabin filter hasn't been changed and you would be correct 100%.
I have no idea what the 20K miles/2 yrs service entails,but that should be on your work order. I'm pretty sure it should include the cabin filter change. Those are usually recommended to be changed every 20-30K miles or 2 years,whichever comes first. It's all dependent of the environment where you do most of your driving(dust,AC usage etc).
In conclusion,I would definitely be very upset if the 20K service entailed a cabin filter change and I would discover it has not been changed.
Go back and let them know!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Yeah, that's what I thought it might be- but look at this link to the 20k service kit on suncoasts site:
20k service kit

The interior filter is a bit grey like you mentioned, but the one I am showing in the pics above is the skinny one that is all white.

Neanicu- yes, the work order shows the charge for both filters and the labor.

The thing is, they also said they fixed a suspension clunk that occurs at low speed, but it's still there. I am beginning to wonder if they did anything at all except a 4 mile joyride!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:42 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin N
Yeah, that's what I thought it might be- but look at this link to the 20k service kit on suncoasts site: 20k service kit The interior filter is a bit grey like you mentioned, but the one I am showing in the pics above is the skinny one that is all white. Neanicu- yes, the work order shows the charge for both filters and the labor. The thing is, they also said they fixed a suspension clunk that occurs at low speed, but it's still there. I am beginning to wonder if they did anything at all except a 4 mile joyride!
The filter in your link is a charcoal filter. They're much better than paper filters because they absorb odors. Here's a link with a valid explanation :

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...uestion209.htm

For the money Porsche is charging for these cars,I would think they would come with charcoal filters,but it looks like that's not the case and instead they use paper filters from the factory. So,the filter in your picture is most likely the original filter that came with the car from the factory.

Either way,one starts wondering what else have they NOT done. Oil change?
Old 08-15-2014, 01:46 AM
formisano
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you let us know what dealer this was?
Old 08-15-2014, 02:05 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
Either way,one starts wondering what else have they NOT done. Oil change?
Yeah, no kidding. Just glanced at the work order and noticed it says 10 quarts of 5W40- last time I checked the car only takes 8 quarts and it's supposed to be 0W40. This keeps getting better.....
Old 08-15-2014, 03:15 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

The oil could easily be legit. There's easily several quarts, probably more like 5-6, sitting in oil lines and radiators that never gets changed. If they somehow drained more than usual of this, or the car went from being a bit low to a bit high after, those two together could easily be 2 quarts.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,211 Likes on 730 Posts

Unfortunately, there are stories abound about dealers charging for work not done. I got charged $16 to refill/top off the windshield cleaner reservoir. Don't know how this could be since I never used it.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:44 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The oil could easily be legit. There's easily several quarts, probably more like 5-6, sitting in oil lines and radiators that never gets changed. If they somehow drained more than usual of this, or the car went from being a bit low to a bit high after, those two together could easily be 2 quarts.
No. There is not any significant amount of oil 'traapped' in the engine after the oil is drained. At most a couple of ounces.

For the OP, routine mainainence, DYI. Find a different dealer for the warranty work.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:30 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 429 Posts

https://pictures.dealer.com/porscheo...80174e8ce7.pdf

For the 20K service it should just be an oil change along with the 2 years the brake fluid flush.

Did you ask for the other stuff to be done?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:54 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

What was on the work order? How much did they charge? What did you ask to be done?

The 10 quarts of oil is a common shill game. Did they itemize each quart? You can't shoe-horn 10 quarts into a 991 9A1 motor.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Justin N
Instructor

I thought at 20k the cabin filters had to be changed? That was what suncoast, etc have in their 20k kit. I swear it was in manual as well, but based on the link to that PDF above I am not so sure.

As far as the oil goes, yes - they itemized each quart.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:09 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,412 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin N
As far as the oil goes, yes - they itemized each quart.
Then they either overfilled by 2 quarts or they owe you 2 quarts in a nice Mobil to go bag. Did they even use Mobil, or Penzoil?

Did you get the brake fliud flushed?

Your filter was dirty. It needed changing. Good on you for doing it. As long as they didn't charge for it, you're fine.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:20 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Just had my (2yr) 20k done even though I'm at 9k miles.
A whole lotta inspecting going on and an oil and air filter(s) changed.
Cabin Filter $$$, wipers $$$ and window cleaner.
Was charged over $700.00!!
A complete and utter rip off (as usual).

Quick Reply: 20k service question - dealer ripoff?