Sponsored by:

Recommendation on Pressure Washer

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:53 AM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Recommendation on Pressure Washer

I tried posting this in car care forum but nothing but crickets.

Looking for recommendations on an electric, low pressure power washer maybe 1600-1800 max psi. See use for cleaning my 991 sport techno wheels, to clean garage floor, etc. I have heard Kranzle and Karcher are good.

What models you like? Not wanting to spend $1k if I can get a decent quality one for less. Just won't use it that much to justify $1k.

Again, I am not using this on the paint other than for a low pressure dust remove, main use would be wheels.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 AM
UAE_911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO: stay far away from Karcher; I've had 2 and both broke within one year; it's all plastics and very poorly screwed together. I own two Kranzle pressure washers and they are absolutely amazing!! Super German build quality. I would recommend the HD7/122 as it is lightweight and perfect to use for car detailing. As with all Kranzle models, the pressure is adjustable. I also have a bigger model (which I have had for many years already) which I use for the more heavy duty stuff around the house. For the car, I can also recommend the Kranzle Foam cannon.

Good luck -
Old 08-03-2014, 11:17 AM
djlynch
Pro

Originally Posted by UAE_911
IMO: stay far away from Karcher; I've had 2 and both broke within one year; it's all plastics and very poorly screwed together. I own two Kranzle pressure washers and they are absolutely amazing!! Super German build quality. I would recommend the HD7/122 as it is lightweight and perfect to use for car detailing. As with all Kranzle models, the pressure is adjustable. I also have a bigger model (which I have had for many years already) which I use for the more heavy duty stuff around the house. For the car, I can also recommend the Kranzle Foam cannon.

Good luck -
Thanks. I went to pressurewashersdirect.com and could find the hd7/122. They have another small hand carry unit. What larger model kranzle do you have? Is it easy to maneuver? I had a cheap sears unit years ago that broke within a year and always tipped over...PITA.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Karcher (largest unit) for over 5 years now - no breakage or whatsoever. The pressure is also adjustable like others. The foam cannon is a bit too tiny which requires two refill for one job. I only wish these power washers are quiet, the motor is too loud for my ears.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:39 AM
djlynch
Pro

Originally Posted by UAE_911

Good luck -
Looking at the Kranzle-K399TST. Anyone have this unit? 15 amp which means I won't have to upgrade my elec service in my garage. What do you do in the winter with freezing temps to "winterize" them or they safe from freezing breaking?
Old 08-03-2014, 12:17 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,187 Likes on 1,477 Posts

I've owned a lot of pressure washers - most the ones in the range you are looking at don't do very much and don't last long. To really have a decent pressure washer you should be in the 2400 to 3200 psi range and have one that has an automatic idle-down to prevent premature pump failure. Those are powerful enough to clean your siding, gutters, concrete walks, garage floor, etc. You can control the intensity of the spray by changing to different tips. My current one that I have, which is done right with a CAT pump (best in industry). Gas engines let you take them to various parts of your house, electric ones are more limiting and may pop your breakers if used with extension cords

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com...er/p10753.html

The trick to cleaning your wheels is to simply coat them with REJEX once in the spring and once in the fall, then you don't need a pressure washer - all the brake dust comes off easily.

Amazon.com: REJEX 16oz BOTTLE 61002: Everything Else Amazon.com: REJEX 16oz BOTTLE 61002: Everything Else
Old 08-03-2014, 02:13 PM
UAE_911
Intermediate

Next to the HD7 I have the previous version of what is now sold as the Kranzle Profi 160 TS T. Awesome machine; a bit heavy but still easy enough to manoeuvre around.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 78 Posts

I love my Kranzle, but it's more than $1,000. I also needed to use a dedicated circuit for mine. I kept overloading the circuit. I ended up getting a dedicated 20 amp breaker and outlet installed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8010...l#post11425861

Old 08-03-2014, 03:44 PM
djlynch
Pro

Originally Posted by Money2536
I love my Kranzle, but it's more than $1,000. I also needed to use a dedicated circuit for mine. I kept overloading the circuit. I ended up getting a dedicated 20 amp breaker and outlet installed. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8010...l#post11425861 Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OVOeQL5Ogc
Thanks Matt. Yes I saw yours. I am going to get a Kranzle and spend more for quality. Can you use a long extension cord off your dedicated circuit if you wanted to use it on patio etc? I'm thinking of your model or the K399TST.

Was going to get from pressurewashersdirect.com

Last edited by djlynch; 08-03-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:13 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Karcher is 10 years old and still works great. Use it on decks, walls, windows and sidewalks but not my car. I do wax the wheels and and just wipe them off with a MF towel when I wash the car. Don't use wheel cleaner except for spor remover, then re-wax that section.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djlynch
Thanks Matt. Yes I saw yours. I am going to get a Kranzle and spend more for quality. Can you use a long extension cord off your dedicated circuit if you wanted to use it on patio etc? I'm thinking of your model or the K399TST.

Was going to get from pressurewashersdirect.com
I'm sure you could with a heavy duty power cord, but I wouldn't want to use mine to clean anything other than my car. It's not powerful enough. It would take a week to do my driveway with it.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:47 PM
djlynch
Pro

I'm sure you could with a heavy duty power cord, but I wouldn't want to use mine to clean anything other than my car. It's not powerful enough. It would take a week to do my driveway with it.
Matt, if you had ability to choose again and based on what you know now, would you choose a 2000 psi electric kranzle for ability to do other things that the 1400psi unit doesn't do. Also, if I need a dedicated 20 amp circuit then I'm thinking of getting a little more oomf.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by djlynch
Matt, if you had ability to choose again and based on what you know now, would you choose a 2000 psi electric kranzle for ability to do other things that the 1400psi unit doesn't do. Also, if I need a dedicated 20 amp circuit then I'm thinking of getting a little more oomf.
I wouldn't. I just pay my guy to pressure wash the house for me. It costs me about $200 every six months. He has a $5,000+ machine that I wouldn't be willing to replicate. I think you will want a separate gas pressure washer to do other jobs around the house. I considered the K2020, but opted to go for the 1122 and use it only on my car.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM
djlynch
Pro

I wouldn't. I just pay my guy to pressure wash the house for me. It costs me about $200 every six months. He has a $5,000+ machine that I wouldn't be willing to replicate. I think you will want a separate gas pressure washer to do other jobs around the house. I considered the K2020, but opted to go for the 1122 and use it only on my car.
Thanks. My thoughts also. I can over complicate and buy a machine to do everything and end up with the wrong one. I'm leaning towards model you have. Have some questions on winterizing into the pressurewashersdirect folks. Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:53 AM
elise386
3rd Gear

I bought a Karcher K2 Compact, it is their base model but it works great. Best of all, it is actually made in Germany. I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that base is the best, the fancier model is a waste of time and money. They are also too bulky, has too much pressure that might damage the paint or not made in Germany. The one thing to note is you must keep the nozzel in the lance clean(an easy job), else the compressor will work but no water will come out.

Quick Reply: Recommendation on Pressure Washer