Sponsored by:

C2 needs suspension drop

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:04 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Default C2 needs suspension drop

I've enjoyed my early production C2 for about 18 months and 15k miles now. I can live with the 350hp and the stock exhaust given it's exotic wail and pull from 6000 rpm to redline. I painted the calipers and with the 19" wheels they look fine now. I even added spacers which enhanced the wide look of the car (although 15mm in the rear is about 5mm too much IMO). I haven't touched the ride height since the car handles great and rides decent and my local roads are far from smooth. Made a few cosmetic changes also to personalize it a bit.
You could say I was completely satified until... I got my BMW 4GC as a daily driver, and for this particular reason: the GC rides like a luxury car (to a fault actually IMO) but has about 3/4" less tire to fender gap than my C2 and seems to sit about perfect.
I know there is more to suspension travel than simply wheel well gap, but this really is my last issue with the Porsche. I also know PASM would have dropped it about 1/2" which would help, and SPASM would have taken it down another 1/2" which sounds about perfect but comes along with a stiffer ride than I want. All of the aftermarket springs seem to have conflicting info on their drop but real world reports seem to indicate another 1/2" below SPASM.
So, what's the solution here? Go through the expense and trouble with Porsche OEM PASM springs for a measly 1/2" or risk being too low and stiff with aftermarket -that 3/4" would be my ideal target.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:12 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know what the solution is but the 50th has the 10mm drop and its perfect.
Check out SHarkwerk.com I bet they have a solution with the factory dampers, and
here it is:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=357

Pics:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/991-ca...d-spacers.html
Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You are right that the ride gets woorse with SPASM.
However, there really is no other aftermarket choice than a set of KW Variant 3 Coilovers.
They are fully adjustable for height and damping, so you should be able to dial them in perfect.
If ride quality is the largest priority ask about a softer spring option and add those parts, when you order them.
Call KW USA direct, they are very helpful and will asvise you on what to order and who you can order from.

I am thinking about these KW's, for my SPASM car too.
Ask around, people are always very happy with them.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:21 PM
WCE
User

Before and after photos copied from Sharkwerks site with their preferred Techart springs... his measurements seem to indicate my ideal 3/4" drop but these photos look like much more to me. I would think this car must ride choppy and stiff and drag the splitter into some driveways.
Maybe PASM springs are the way to go, or maybe I shouldn't worry about it!
Attached Images   
Old 08-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

.........or get SPASM with PDCC= nicely lower yet more comfortable.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 AM
WCE
User

Originally Posted by lunarx
...there really is no other aftermarket choice than a set of KW Variant 3 Coilovers. They are fully adjustable for height and damping, so you should be able to dial them in perfect.
Interesting product line - too bad they don't offer their height adjustable spring kits that work with the OEM dampers for Porsche.
My only local dealer lists the full coil over kit for $3550 + install + alignment... maybe I should have checked PASM on my order sheet!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 AM
certified_prime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Interesting product line - too bad they don't offer their height adjustable spring kits that work with the OEM dampers for Porsche.
My only local dealer lists the full coil over kit for $3550 + install + alignment... maybe I should have checked PASM on my order sheet!
KW does offer height-adjustable springs that work with the OEM dampers.

They run about $1500 for the set.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:57 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Before and after photos copied from Sharkwerks site with their preferred Techart springs... his measurements seem to indicate my ideal 3/4" drop but these photos look like much more to me. I would think this car must ride choppy and stiff and drag the splitter into some driveways.
Maybe PASM springs are the way to go, or maybe I shouldn't worry about it!
It looks like they added spacers as well because of the different lug bolts so this might give the illusion of being even lower.

I love the sporty ride of the OEM sport springs.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:43 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

After two years with Sport PASM i can state that the ride is not at all choppy or harsh, even though the spring rate is higher and the sway bars are stiffer with Sport PASM. The Sport PASM 20 mm lower than the stock non PASM hight. PASM cars are 10 mm lower than standard non PASM cars. It is firmer than stock for sure, but still far more supple than prior generations. The Sport PASM front lip rides lower than the standard front spoiler, but with any care at all it is not a hazzard.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:10 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
I've enjoyed my early production C2 for about 18 months and 15k miles now. I can live with the 350hp and the stock exhaust given it's exotic wail and pull from 6000 rpm to redline. I painted the calipers and with the 19" wheels they look fine now. I even added spacers which enhanced the wide look of the car (although 15mm in the rear is about 5mm too much IMO). I haven't touched the ride height since the car handles great and rides decent and my local roads are far from smooth. Made a few cosmetic changes also to personalize it a bit.
You could say I was completely satified until... I got my BMW 4GC as a daily driver, and for this particular reason: the GC rides like a luxury car (to a fault actually IMO) but has about 3/4" less tire to fender gap than my C2 and seems to sit about perfect.
I know there is more to suspension travel than simply wheel well gap, but this really is my last issue with the Porsche. I also know PASM would have dropped it about 1/2" which would help, and SPASM would have taken it down another 1/2" which sounds about perfect but comes along with a stiffer ride than I want. All of the aftermarket springs seem to have conflicting info on their drop but real world reports seem to indicate another 1/2" below SPASM.
So, what's the solution here? Go through the expense and trouble with Porsche OEM PASM springs for a measly 1/2" or risk being too low and stiff with aftermarket -that 3/4" would be my ideal target.
Properly set up cars that sit low do so because the suspension is stiff enough to require very little travel. What you want is a car that sits low (because it looks cool) which means less travel, which requires a stiffer spring. But you also want a smooth ride, which means more travel, which requires a softer spring. Sorry for the long dissertation, but you said you know very little, and knowledge is the only way I know of helping you understand why what you are asking is impossible.

Well, almost. Porsche has achieved this Holy Grail with PASM. Which you don't have. Which also, please note, even with PASM when the car sits lower the springs are harder and so is the ride. Chuck is right, thanks to PASM its nowhere near as hard as would be the case without, but it is still more firm. (SPASM, I mean.)

Its physics. There just is no way of getting around it. People do all kinds of things to optimize variable spring rates, but the smoother they get the ride to handle small bumps the quicker it has to transition harder to handle big ones. Or its just gonna bottom out. That's just the way it is.

So the deeper underlying problem is understanding that the way a Porsche looks is not a function of the way it is meant to look. Its a function of the way it is meant to drive.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
So the deeper underlying problem is understanding that the way a Porsche looks is not a function of the way it is meant to look. Its a function of the way it is meant to drive.
Yuppers. And for anyone unhappy with their 991 Turbo that looks like an SUV because it sits so high and rides like a damn GT car, I am willing to trade even up for my "sits just right" SPASM C2S.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:52 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
After two years with Sport PASM i can state that the ride is not at all choppy or harsh, even though the spring rate is higher and the sway bars are stiffer with Sport PASM. The Sport PASM 20 mm lower than the stock non PASM hight. PASM cars are 10 mm lower than standard non PASM cars. It is firmer than stock for sure, but still far more supple than prior generations. The Sport PASM front lip rides lower than the standard front spoiler, but with any care at all it is not a hazzard.
+1 my experience also with Sport PASM

Quick Reply: C2 needs suspension drop