Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another service nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:05 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Care to say who your dealer is? I guess since it was a positive experience you won't mind. My guess is Leith, Performance, or Hendrick. I will go ahead and say I use Leith (no affiliation) and have never had any negative experiences.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:05 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Had a great conversation with a Corvette guy in the coffee shop parking lot today. You know what I really like about his car?...the fact that he really loves it, just like I love mine. Everybody wins!

Now back to our regular programming...
Totally agree, its a win-win. I've done that myself a few times. The Corvette guy walks away thinking "wow, what swell guys those Porsche guys are", while we walk away thinking, "he bought it! I mean he totally bought it! "
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Guess I gave you a beach ball to swing at there Chuck!

Several years ago, i was invited to participate in a more social road rally...invitation only, 40 car limit, all amazing vehicles except for mine: my little red '91 C4 Cab. I had polished it up nicely, but it was no match for the GT40s, various Ferraris, exotic Porsche cars, Benz gull-wing, etc. The average net worth of this group was jaw-dropping, but you would never guess it over a glass of wine or beer. Great group of people. Anyway, the host of the rally (who restores vintage race cars and has an awesome collection of his own) wandered over to chat and look at my car. As we talked about the rally, and the participants and the cars, he made a lasting remark when he asked "you know what's the best thing about this group?...if you love your car, they love your car."

ooop! maybe I fell for it too!

Last edited by Hammer911; 06-04-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Care to say who your dealer is? I guess since it was a positive experience you won't mind. My guess is Leith, Performance, or Hendrick. I will go ahead and say I use Leith (no affiliation) and have never had any negative experiences.
Yes, it was Leith in Cary. Performance is Hendrick - same thing. I won't buy a car from any Hendrick dealer, but they seem to be OK on service (I have some experience with BMW and Chevy in that regard) as long as it is warranty and you don't have to pay them anything.
The following users liked this post:
Scott in NC (05-12-2020)
Old 06-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No one should suffer through anything like this
Old 06-05-2014, 12:11 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Of course you didn't... it just makes me glad that I spec'd my car and you spec'd yours! Anybody who gets worked up over your opinion is probably just insecure enough that they play defense when someone doesn't offer them validation.

Had a great conversation with a Corvette guy in the coffee shop parking lot today. You know what I really like about his car?...the fact that he really loves it, just like I love mine. Everybody wins!

Now back to our regular programming...
Amen!
Old 06-05-2014, 01:26 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Yes, it was Leith in Cary. Performance is Hendrick - same thing. I won't buy a car from any Hendrick dealer, but they seem to be OK on service (I have some experience with BMW and Chevy in that regard) as long as it is warranty and you don't have to pay them anything.
I know Performance is Hendrick. I was just distinguishing between Hendrick in Charlotte and Performance in Chapel Hill.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:06 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I know Performance is Hendrick. I was just distinguishing between Hendrick in Charlotte and Performance in Chapel Hill.
OK, got it. I didn't know what you knew.

I would go to Greensboro (Foreign Cars Italia) before I drove all the way to Charlotte. I bought a car (my 993) from FCI but never had any service done there. They probably don't like working on the Porsches there, since they only get $110 per hour versus the $150/hour on the Ferraris and Aston Martins.
The following users liked this post:
Scott in NC (05-12-2020)
Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Leith is a great dealer - they do everything they can for the local Porsche club. Performance is also good and they had the club over on a Saturday and their techs showed us how they do an oil change and brake job. Interesting that Porsche tells them to leave the oil draining for 30 minutes even though the sump is so big.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:45 PM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Yes, don't know, yes.
Yes. I enjoyed it a great deal, especially the first few days when we had great weather, I had a holiday and the top never went up. The ride is a bit stiffer than the 911 (which is why I bought a 911 instead of a Cayman) and the rear visibility is poor with the top down and horrendous with the top up. It's also more difficult to get in and out of than the 911, sitting a bit lower. And the radio sucks.

But the gear shifter is fabulous (yes, a loaner with a stick!) and the power is adequate, the engine sounds are excellent and the wind turbulence is minimal. I had a 996 cab, and I'd take the Boxster over that any day of the week. The loaner had both PSE and SC, both of which I played with enough to confirm my long-held belief that they are both a huge waste of money. Oops, now I've pissed-off everyone who has those on their cars.

The Boxster S will very likely be the replacement for my 991 if I ever decide to sell it. It is a super little car.
I had the same visibility issues with my '08 Boxster. So I was surprised to hear you would consider it as possible replacement for the 991. You mentioned the "fabulous shifter" in the 981 loaner, any better than the 991?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Originally Posted by perretar
I had the same visibility issues with my '08 Boxster. So I was surprised to hear you would consider it as possible replacement for the 991.
I guess I wasn't clear. What I meant to write was, in the unlikely future event that I were ever to tire of the 991, at that point in time I would consider the 981 S instead of buying another 911. But I love my 991. And by that time, they'll probably have a rear view camera available.

That's if I were to buy another new one; admittedly part of that is due to the much lower price of the Boxster.

You mentioned the "fabulous shifter" in the 981 loaner, any better than the 991?
The 991 is a seven-speed, as you surely know. I don't know if the difference is because of the different shifter gate or because the linkage for the mid-engined boxster is different than the rear-engined 911. Also, my car had only around 1200 miles on it when it was in for service, so it wasn't broken-in yet. As I put on the miles, the shifter is getting better.

That said, yes, I still think the shifter in the Boxster is better.

Quick Reply: Another service nightmare!