Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 MT Upshift Arrow

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm really surprised they removed the ability to turn it off. I turned my indicator off about 3 miles from the dealership.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:52 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I don't comment on PDK complaint threads. I figure the people driving automatic sports cars must have some kind of physical issue (such as bad knees) that keeps them from enjoying the manual, they have a long traffic filled commute or they have to lone the car to someone who can only drive an automatic. In any case, we've all worked hard and saved to buy our vehicles and I feel strongly you should be able to enjoy driving it the way you want (even PDK owners).

It really bothers me that Porsche would go out of their way to put a little annoying indicator in your face when you're trying to enjoy the car you've worked so hard to get. The fact that you used to be able to remove it and can't makes it even worse. I think if they want to put annoying "features" you should be able to decide whether they're on or off (like the auto stop start).

Uh oh! I feel another manual vs PDK thread developing
Old 04-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Fünfzig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fünfzig
Pg 93 Owners Manual:
J - Upshift prompt indicator: "The upshift indicator is only active when "Sport or "Sport Plus" mode is switched off. Regardless, its hardly noticeable.
Well - regardless of what the manual says, the upshift indicator stays on on my 50th regardless of Sport or Sport plus mode. It really doesn't annoy me any more than a PDK would...
Old 04-24-2014, 03:13 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow, I forgot my 202 991C2s had an up-shift arrow until I read this post...
Old 04-24-2014, 03:32 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lbahoshy
Uh oh! I feel another manual vs PDK thread developing
I hope not. I just couldn't let the little attack on MT go without a response. As I said, I like giving people the choices with their car, even if I don't agree with them. Removing choices like they did here with the upshift indicator or removing the choice of a manual transmission in some cars gets me upset.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:09 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The fact a 100k+ Porsche doesn't come standard with PDK is sad. Oh well like most good things it will filter down from the higher end cars before long.
Chuck, sounds like you've got some transmission insecurity issues. Why not appreciate the positives of both transmissions and keep the low blows for somewhere else, at least on a PDK/MT thread.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers

It really bothers me that Porsche would go out of their way to put a little annoying indicator in your face when you're trying to enjoy the car you've worked so hard to get. The fact that you used to be able to remove it and can't makes it even worse. I think if they want to put annoying "features" you should be able to decide whether they're on or off (like the auto stop start).
It doesn't seem to me Porsche would put such an indicator in the car of their own volition. I suspect the "upshift indicator" is in some way linked to the CAFE mileage target regulations to drive overall fuel economy, just like the auto stop/start function. Maybe there is some fine print requirement cars must provide some indication to the driver on how to achieve best fuel efficiency on the MT cars? (since the PDK in normal mode makes the shift decision.) Wouldn't surprise me. Thank goodness that for now (at least) one can disable the stop/start. It's my understanding Porsche would have had to make the largest improvement in mileage of any manufacturer in order to meet the 2016 standard...perhaps we can thank VW Group for taking Porsche into the fold so the Porsche mileage numbers get mixed into the overall VW target, saving some gas-guzzling performance capability for us!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Definitely not a MT vs PDK thread. Just a thread for a horrible feature. The upshift indicator is useless and annoying. Period.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer911
It's my understanding Porsche would have had to make the largest improvement in mileage of any manufacturer in order to meet the 2016 standard...perhaps we can thank VW Group for taking Porsche into the fold so the Porsche mileage numbers get mixed into the overall VW target, saving some gas-guzzling performance capability for us!
Many moons ago Porsche figured out which way the wind was blowing re: Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and annual average fleet of vehicle production. And manufacturing fuel thirsty sport cars and sport SUV's was not going to be viable in the long run for a low-volume niche automaker like Porsche. That is why they initiated the play to take control of the VW Group. That move became public knowledge in 2008 after the near collapse of the financial markets tanked their plans. The tables were then reversed and the 'merger' with VW was finalized in 2012. But either way, Porsche was going to be part of VW! And as such, one of the main benefits of the acquisition (as originally envisioned) or the eventual 2012 merger as it happened was the ability to improve Porsche's 'annual average fleet of vehicle production' in the calculations of 'fuel economy'! So yes, count that merger as a positive for us the Porsche consumer.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2014, 10:03 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
The fact that drivers of automatics feel compelled to comment on MT threads is sad too.
Agreed. And it's always the same users/members. It's long tiresome...and rather transparent.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:37 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Agreed. And it's always the same users/members. It's long tiresome...and rather transparent.
Agreed, and I think tiresome pretty much nails it. Posting inflammatory remarks to push our buttons... Maybe pushing buttons has just become habit for some?

But back on topic, I think that the key fob removal algorithm changed when I took my car in for the 1 year service (holding it left doesn't eject after a little while anymore), so I wonder if they'll also push this shift indicator as a software update for all of us - or maybe it just lefts them claim a fuel economy improvement for MY2014 because of CAFE/other standards.

If they're tweaking the software though, I'd still love to see some added options in the settings for when to engage hill-hold*, auto-engaging of parking brake when the car is turned off, showing the selected gear before you release the clutch, etc. Though I'd actually be ok if they just fixed the song cover art always being wrong.

* And to be not only fair, but downright happy(!), hill-hold is working MUCH better post 1 year service - and I had taken it in (with the code) for the update previously and was told there was no open service item for my car. I'm pretty sure they just didn't find it because it's just so much less grippy now, no more stalling worries. I'd probably even have traded the always-on shift indicator for that improvement.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I wanted the car to tell me when to shift I would get the PDK - which is exactly what I did. I my previous cars with a MT I too found the shift indicator annoying.

I can't believe you aren't able to shut that off in a 991. That's ridiculous!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Many moons ago Porsche figured out which way the wind was blowing re: Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) and annual average fleet of vehicle production. And manufacturing fuel thirsty sport cars and sport SUV's was not going to be viable in the long run for a low-volume niche automaker like Porsche. That is why they initiated the play to take control of the VW Group. That move became public knowledge in 2008 after the near collapse of the financial markets tanked their plans. The tables were then reversed and the 'merger' with VW was finalized in 2012. But either way, Porsche was going to be part of VW! And as such, one of the main benefits of the acquisition (as originally envisioned) or the eventual 2012 merger as it happened was the ability to improve Porsche's 'annual average fleet of vehicle production' in the calculations of 'fuel economy'! So yes, count that merger as a positive for us the Porsche consumer.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
So, thanks to government intrusion into their business Porsche was going to have to buy VW in order to be able to keep making, you know, Porsches. Because otherwise government was going to regulate them into making Priuses. But then thanks to government (read, Fed) meddling and manipulating in financial markets the whole global economy nearly collapsed and Porsche had to merge with VW just to stay in business at all. In the first case Porsche would have had more control, but either way its nothing compared to the freedom they'd have to build great cars if government wasn't messing around with them at all. Is that about right? But I got to admire the way you spin that into a win for the consumer! Seriously.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:52 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

So, thanks to government intrusion into their business Porsche was going to have to buy VW in order to be able to keep making, you know, Porsches. Because otherwise government was going to regulate them into making Priuses. But then thanks to government (read, Fed) meddling and manipulating in financial markets the whole global economy nearly collapsed and Porsche had to merge with VW just to stay in business at all. In the first case Porsche would have had more control, but either way its nothing compared to the freedom they'd have to build great cars if government wasn't messing around with them at all. Is that about right?
Yes...but I would phrase it differently. What Porsche (and every other fossil fuel-powered sport car manufacturing enterprise in Europe & the United States) faces in the current socio-political environment is nothing but a frontal attack on its traditional business model! Here is what they are increasingly staring at: impossible to meet CAFE standards & Euro Cycle emissions, European pedestrian crash standards that will make changes in car design inevitable and hundreds of other mandates imposed on their industry every year! What us as consumers are looking at in the near future will be: no manual transmissions, no naturally aspirated engine, no 'Form Follows Function' vehicle design and more safety/electronic 'nannies' and driving-aids! And turbos & turbo/hybrids until finally they regulate fossil fuels out and forced us all into the exciting world of pure & silent ELECTRIC!

But I got to admire the way you spin that into a win for the consumer! Seriously.
So in view of all of that Charlie, I got to say that if merging with a larger entity gives Porsche a little breathing room by increasing 'annual average fleet of vehicle production' so that Porsche can continue to build & sell to us these incredible machines for the little time left on the socio-political regulatory clock before it's all over...well, that my friend, is a win for the consumer! And don't blame me, I am just the messenger. I hate where this is all going. Porsche is just trying to negotiate through waters regulated by our public & the politicians they elect! We have met the enemy...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 04-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very, very well written Z356! That's exactly how it is!

All these left orientated, green environmental thinking Politcians are a bigger thread for the world than Bin Laden ever was.

Porsche, but also other small car manufacturers can't survive if they don't join a large, mass-producing car manufacturer.
McLaren for example, will not exist anymore in 5 years, if they don't team up with Daimler, Toyota or whatever company that wants to have McLaren. Not just for financial reasons, but mostly because of the impossible environmental regulations they have to meet.

Suzy (via iOS app)

Quick Reply: 991 MT Upshift Arrow