Sponsored by:

Sales Experience - Shocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 03:24 PM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I have been treated like a valued customer- no, even better than that, more like a fellow Porsche enthusiast- and I have been treated like a nuisance. And everything in between. I've had ones that showed a lot of interest in what I want in a Porsche, and I've had ones that seemed only to be interested in the watch on my wrist. And all at the same dealership!
Totally agree. Fortunately my purchase was made with a salesman who happens to be a Porsche enthusiast. He made it fun, exciting and stress free. We agreed to a discount upfront and proceeded to build the car I really wanted. I even got a quote for my trade over the phone which was honored when I showed up at the dealership. I knew that the trade-in numbers should roughly be from KBB and Edmunds - so his quote was spot on. There were no games and I never met the sales manager - there was simply no need. I would be glad to share if anyone wants the dealership & salesman contact information.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:26 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by addysdaddy
Totally agree. Fortunately my purchase was made with a salesman who happens to be a Porsche enthusiast. He made it fun, exciting and stress free. We agreed to a discount upfront and proceeded to build the car I really wanted. I even got a quote for my trade over the phone which was honored when I showed up at the dealership. I knew that the trade-in numbers should roughly be from KBB and Edmunds - so his quote was spot on. There were no games and I never met the sales manager - there was simply no need. I would be glad to share if anyone wants the dealership & salesman contact information.
Sans the trade that's pretty much how mine went once I decided on what I wanted, of course. But from a factory order changed to an on lot CPO (100% my idea) it was seamless and easy with a great price. A few minor emails went unanswered, but I asked a LOT of questions and over all the follow up was very good.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:19 PM
pnd4pnd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a really good experience buying my 991 over the phone. I found another car i liked for $20K under MSRP (it was listed on the web) and told the sales person i was dealing with about this car. They got much more aggressive after seeing that listing (they were both left over '13s). While i didn't get them to match the price, they came very close and since it was exactly what i wanted i was willing to pay more. They even shipped the car to me hassle free. The salesman took me seriously from the first email. Great experience.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 AM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
then again, maybe she buys and sells you a few times over daily and isn't real impressed with your amazing sense of entitlement.
Amazing sense of entitlement? That's ridiculous. If I tell you I am going to buy a car I expect proper customer service. What the OP got was something quite different.

I would take my business elsewhere
Old 03-28-2014, 11:52 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCC
Amazing sense of entitlement? That's ridiculous. If I tell you I am going to buy a car I expect proper customer service. What the OP got was something quite different.

I would take my business elsewhere
i'm sure they hear that a lot though. not trying to defend them but i don't think there are enough resources to drop everything and cater to one person because they said they are buying a car. further, if you have the luxury, you can pick and choose your customers. contrary to popular belief, they are humans too. maybe they thought OP was going to be a PITA and didn't want to deal with it? sorry but if you just jump and say "oh that dealership sucks, go somewhere else" you really don't get negotiation. they have something you want. if you don't want to deal with them, you're going to spend more time finding somewhere else to go. what happens if you don't feel they are treating you with the attention you need at the second dealership? then you have to go somewhere else etc etc. car-related transactions can bring out the worst in otherwise good people.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
Amazing sense of entitlement? That's ridiculous. If I tell you I am going to buy a car I expect proper customer service. What the OP got was something quite different. I would take my business elsewhere

Yeah I was dipping into the drama pool there. My bad.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:21 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Yeah I was dipping into the drama pool there. My bad.
i think i accidentally did the same thing...maybe its the patience forced upon someone by having to wait for their order...
Old 03-28-2014, 12:22 PM
PCC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hothonda
A real sales pro never underestimates who they might be talking to....
When I bought my latest Pcar, I was wearing shorts & flip flops. I entered the showroom and stood there for 15 minutes. Three younger salesmen sat in their offices. Each looked up and saw me. Not one moved.

Shortly thereafter, an older salesman comes around the corner, walks over and says quietly "I don't love the look of the Panamera but if you drive it, you'll understand. I'll pull one around front if you want to go for a test drive".

Guess who got the sale
Old 03-28-2014, 01:25 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
When I bought my latest Pcar, I was wearing shorts & flip flops. I entered the showroom and stood there for 15 minutes. Three younger salesmen sat in their offices. Each looked up and saw me. Not one moved.

Shortly thereafter, an older salesman comes around the corner, walks over and says quietly "I don't love the look of the Panamera but if you drive it, you'll understand. I'll pull one around front if you want to go for a test drive".

Guess who got the sale

The one with wisdom
Old 03-28-2014, 02:18 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PCC

Guess who got the sale
thats inexcusable but its different than calling in. as far as i'm concerned, the difference is how people who troll away and say whatever online won't in real life interactions. over the phone versus in the flesh are two very different scenarios
Old 03-28-2014, 04:48 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
thats inexcusable but its different than calling in. as far as i'm concerned, the difference is how people who troll away and say whatever online won't in real life interactions. over the phone versus in the flesh are two very different scenarios
Is your avatar a pic of the internet sales manager the OP spoke to?
Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Is your avatar a pic of the internet sales manager the OP spoke to?
hahaha...no wonder the internet sales manager doesn't care...jimmy page got bored remastering the LZ albums and has taken up shop manning the phones.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:20 PM
dr_r2r
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I always try to be polite, humble and courteous to any salesman/woman I talk to. A little genuine smile always seal the deal.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:25 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I own and run a small business selling high end furniture and have been doing it 28 years. Every customer thinks they are deserving of priority status when interested in making a purchase, but the reality is that of 50 to 60 inquires per day, only one might pull the trigger and place an order. All the others are still asking questions or making final decisions. Now when you have 50 people all thinking they are the priority - there's a whole bunch of them going to be disappointed.

People in the store get priority over phone calls. Phone calls get priority over emails. Simple as that. And there is a huge difference in saying "We are close in numbers on a deal" from "I'd like to place an order right now and here's my credit card for whatever deposit you need". Do the latter and I'm pretty sure you will jump to the top of the priority list.

My favorites of course are the ones that send an email and then call up 90 minutes later wanting to know why it hasn't been responded to. "Probably due to the fact there are 47 emails in my INBOX and it takes some time to respond to them all".
Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by PCC

Guess who got the sale
Good story. But, you should never drive an automobile with flip flops

Quick Reply: Sales Experience - Shocking