Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 issues update and lemon law filling

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:23 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I saw a 2012 991S with low miles and priced very reasonably at my local Porsche dealer. I checked out the CarFax on the car and it already had five owners. All service work will be recorded by CarFax and it certainly will have a detrimental effect on the car's value.

I would not tolerate these problems on a $15K Toyota, much less on a $100K+ Porsche. I have never seen a car that qualified more for Lemmon Law protection than this one. I'm surprised that Porsche hasn't intervened already, and taken appropriate atction to rectify the problems. The least thing that Porsche should do is to send the car back to the factory for a thorough examination and correction of all problems, and of course the OP should be given a 991 for his use use since these problems may take several months to repair.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by nmurray22
...they have asked me not to fill in the surveys at all.
They asked you not to fill it out why? Situations like this are part of the reason that survey exists.

I'm really upset about your situation. Mostly because if this continues much longer without a positive ending, the brand most of us love may be lost on you forever. I really hate that possibility.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark1996
In the process, someone at the shop had used a Sawzall to make a cut through the firewall for the wiring. In this process, the Sawzall slipped and cut through the main wiring harness. Anyways, the Porsche dealer was installing a new wiring harness which obviously meant that the car had to be taken apart. I recall that the service person told me that it was costing $30k for all the work and that it was an insurance job.
Sawzall and Porsche should never be used in the same sentence. That's crazy.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

I just watched your Youtube video and feel really bad for you. I also just got an email update from PCA and one of the articles highlighted regarded Porsche recalling / replacing all 991 GT3 engines. They sure are quick to report record sales of Cayennes and the new Tiguan, sorry Macan......

Get your **** together Porsche.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:07 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend had a similar experience with a $100/k German car. He too was nice, polite & patient. Finally in frustration due to lack of communication engaged his attorney. He quickly got a check for full purchase and the car had 15/k on the Odo when he turned it in to the dealer!
Old 03-18-2014, 11:14 PM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Recently looked at a boxster rs60 that someone had installed side and backup cameras. Dealer could not get side ones to work. Ran away from car as fast as possible.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Life is too short. I'd blast that pig. Trade it on another car. Get an M4 and move on. Still fun, no brain damage. At some point you need to quit for your own sanity.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NO. Don't get an M4. First year of production. Don't learn the same lesson twice!
Old 03-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Finally911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick,

To clarify what I meant by having a conference call is:
1. Ask the dealer to setup a 3 way call between them, you and PCNA
2. Ask them to describe what's happened (correct them when wrong)
3. After having an accurate history Ask them how they plan on resolving the issues

Take the oppty to ask anything else. Why they haven't gotten back to you. What do they see in the customer service database (ie when they promised to contact you)

The point isn't to rake them over the coals (although they might deserve it) but to baseline on their understanding, who's been engaged and when, and what the process is.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:55 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
NO. Don't get an M4. First year of production. Don't learn the same lesson twice!
Good point. BMW forums are filled with stories like this one.

Get something they've been hammering out for a few years; R8 (2014 wasn't really very new), GTR, last year of Ferrari F430 (2009)....

Or get a 997 GTS or GT3 maybe?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Good point. BMW forums are filled with stories like this one.

Get something they've been hammering out for a few years; R8 (2014 wasn't really very new), GTR, last year of Ferrari F430 (2009)....

Or get a 997 GTS or GT3 maybe?
not that it helps anything but i also have a 2010 BMW X5M and its been a nightmare...
Old 03-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I smell something funny with this dealer. This should have been escalated by now with any competent porsche mechanic. As soon as you mentioned the cam and radar detector being installed by them, and now them not being able to fix electrical gremlins, that raises a lot of red flags.

Have you taken a look under the dash area - maybe there is some obviously suspect wiring? The area where the wiring penetrates through into nose of the car is easily seen from the driver footwell. Or, you can remove the plastic cover in the trunk that covers the tire pump and look down near the steering column, it may be easy to see shoddy workmanship. If you don't feel comfortable I would take it to another dealer and have them check it out. Explain to them that the other dealer might have done something suspect, and you want a second opinion. I did this with a sunroof noise as well as the exhaust recall- my first dealer didn't even bolt the exhaust clamps and I was having all sort of droning issues. I took it to a second place with great mechanics and they went through each issue, even choice down little noise issues that the first dealer couldn't be bothered to fix.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:47 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Life is too short. I'd blast that pig. Trade it on another car. Get an M4 and move on. Still fun, no brain damage. At some point you need to quit for your own sanity.
I have to admit, the new M3 and M4 look incredible.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they don't get structured feedback (the surveys) you can't expect a change. Seriously, pull all the emotion out of it. It's just business.

Last edited by Flowmacks; 03-20-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 PM
nmurray22
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick update.

First of all, thank all of you for the support and advice you have given me here, simply outstanding that so many of you would take the time to give advice and feedback I am so very grateful to you all. It really means a lot to get support from the owners community. You guys/girls are amazing you truly are. I want to buy you all dinner : )

Good news is that we have progress from PCNA they have called me and expressed regret in the handling of this case and so far been very open and upfront about what they want to do for me. I also got calls and emails from Porsche in Germany. So lots of positive movement.

They also have the regional rep looking at my car. Basically they are talking about buying my car back or getting me a new one. The lemon law arbitration is only a few days away now so if PCNA don't fix this for me then Connecticut Consumer protection laws certainly will. They say it is as strong case as they have ever seen.

So good news. Stay tuned.

Oh I have a Cayman as a loner so I will do a video on that : )

Thanks again everyone.

Nick

Quick Reply: 991 issues update and lemon law filling