Opti-Coat

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts
Default Opti-Coat

If anyone has been thinking about it or considering it, I highly recommend doing it.

It makes the car sparkle like it's wet and if you do the wheels (which you should) brake dust comes off quite a bit easier, and can be maintained with a simple duster for those in-between touch-ups.

I had my doubts but after having had it done now for about 2 weeks, no regrets. Well, only one. Should've done it sooner.

Also, and probably goes without saying, make sure to bring it to someone who knows what they're doing. An authorized shop would be best, but not necessary. Getting the paint correction done right and applying the initial coat is harder than those YouTube videos make it look.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 PM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about on top of a clear bra. I have been looking at CQuartz or Zaino. Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
What about on top of a clear bra. I have been looking at CQuartz or Zaino. Thoughts?
My installer said they could either do OptiCoat below or on top of the clearbra. Doesn't matter (he recommended Xpel, by the way).

As to OptiCoat v. CQuartz, I chose OptiCoat cuz my buddy recommended it to me and it's apparently thinner than CQuartz. But I think both are fine fine products.

You can read an extremely well laid-out comparison between OptiCoat and CQuartz here:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...0-cquartz.html

I don't think I've seen anything quite like that comparison. Personally, I think it just comes down to personal preference and finding the best installer possible in your area, and what that installer is comfortable using.

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Samp4
Racer

Would mind telling me the price?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Some gratuitous shots of the car after Opti-Coat treatment.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 05-15-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the sport design package and the sport techno rims. Car looks amazing!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:14 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Xpel on the front end of on my 991 (full hood, front fenders , front bumper) and had Opticoat applied to the entire car.

The installer did not recommend to apply the clear bra on top of Opticoat or CQuartz; the Opticoat on top of Xpel was the recommended sequence; makes the clear bra even more durable and easier to maintain.

Opticoat is supposedly a permanent coating whereas Cquartz Finest needs to reapplied after approx 30 months or so.? Both fantastic products.

CQuartz Finest is a little glossier than Opticoat and is slightly more slick so cleaning is a little easier but the downside is it is organic based and wears off. I went for Opticoat as I didn't want to reapply the coating after a while. Apparently it only comes off if you polish it off.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,095 Likes on 654 Posts

Car looks amazing. I think the Sport Techno wheels are so much nicer than the Carrera Classics if one is going to upgrade from stock wheels.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by lbahoshy
I got Xpel on the front end of on my 991 (full hood, front fenders , front bumper) and had Opticoat applied to the entire car.

The installer did not recommend to apply the clear bra on top of Opticoat or CQuartz; the Opticoat on top of Xpel was the recommended sequence; makes the clear bra even more durable and easier to maintain.

Opticoat is supposedly a permanent coating whereas Cquartz Finest needs to reapplied after approx 30 months or so.? Both fantastic products.

CQuartz Finest is a little glossier than Opticoat and is slightly more slick so cleaning is a little easier but the downside is it is organic based and wears off. I went for Opticoat as I didn't want to reapply the coating after a while. Apparently it only comes off if you polish it off.
Correct!!!! I have used both.

You do not apply either underneath clear, but on top of it.

My car is black and went with CQuartz Finest this time around, since it has a bit more depth, but it does need to be redone once every 3 years or a bit earlier. On my white cars, I use Opti with great results.

Its really about prep work, the surface should be perfect before applying CQuartz or Opticoat.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Samp4
Racer

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like Cquartz over my clear bra may be best. I don't mind the 3 year redo to get a better look.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:02 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

the cars I have seen with the cquartz coating turn out simply fantastic. Makes the car look incredibly sleek.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any one have any experience with Modesta Ark Barrier coatings? My detailer has this as a pricier and longer lasting option to Cquartz and opti coat.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vic and Ray
Any one have any experience with Modesta Ark Barrier coatings? My detailer has this as a pricier and longer lasting option to Cquartz and opti coat.
Not really familiar with Ark Barrier except that I think it's popular in Australia and parts of Asia.

But honestly, with many of these synthetic coatings I think the differences are, at best, marginal and the most important thing is to make sure the prep work (paint correction, clear coat removal, etc) is done correctly. If that's not done right then no matter what kind application you apply you won't get good results.

Good luck. If you go with Modesta, let us know what you think.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Samp4
Racer

Does the coating on top of the bra cause the self healing to be less affective?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
Does the coating on top of the bra cause the self healing to be less affective?
From what I understand, with Xpel the ceramic or glass coatings do not affect any of its properties, either in terms of scratch resistance or self-healing abilities.

Quick Reply: Opti-Coat