Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ongoing change over valve issues on 991

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:24 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Driving to dinner tonight, I got the Cooling System Fault message. 2015 C2. Sweet. I'm out of town on a road trip, so it's going to the local Austin dealer. Fingers crossed they can diagnose & fix quickly, or I may be getting rental & coming back to Austin for the car.

It's not a yellow warning, though, like others say.

Name:  aWEB8Rpm.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  10.9 KB
Old 11-09-2018, 10:21 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Me too

Originally Posted by Jim991
Recently purchased a 2014 991.1 turbo with 37k miles. Out of warranty. Noticed no heat last night. I assume it's the heat exchanger COV. Has PNA been replacing these parts under a recall campaign since this is a known problem?

have a 14 turbo. That thing failed two or three times.

All under warranty. Got an extended so when it goes again I don’t have to pay!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:28 PM
flgfish
Pro

I ended up driving the car to Dallas & it's at Park Place Porsche now. Should get a download on Monday. Coolant temps were fine the whole trip, and my heater doesn't work... so the symptoms definitely match the thread.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:26 PM
flgfish
Pro

Following up... they replaced three of the COV's. The car had the C version parts, and they used the F version parts. Valves were $64.51 each, wiring harnesses were $66.15 each, $3.03 for fasteners, and the whole repair was $1125.04 after labor. Super duper fun.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:48 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is in today after heater went out, I got the yellow warning two days later. Car is under warranty. They told me they will only replace the affected COV and "maybe the other one, as these usually work in pairs". Should I consider a more proavtive approach, at my dime, since the car is in and they will have to cover part of the dismantling?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:03 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
Following up... they replaced three of the COV's. The car had the C version parts, and they used the F version parts. Valves were $64.51 each, wiring harnesses were $66.15 each, $3.03 for fasteners, and the whole repair was $1125.04 after labor. Super duper fun.
Wow what a pain. I had some of mine replaced under CPO but didn't realize that was the going rate these days.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:40 PM
robvnguyen
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2014 991 Turbo S stalled today while going up a windy road @ 5K RPM. I pulled over, turned the car off, got out and it had a plastic/rubber burnt smell. When I tried restarting the car it would not start... it would crank but not fire up then had the Coolant System Fault message. Towed it to dealer. One thing is my exhaust sounded weird for the last couple of days and thought it was just the cold weather. It had no error message. I have an aftermarket Kline Exhaust with headers.

Hoping it's nothing major but the car not starting up worries me. We'll see Monday.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Luyi Chen
Intermediate

hello guys,

my oct.2012 built 991.1 C2S with PSE got burnt down into ashes in late Jan this year.some of you may remember.

As I dig more about my car, the COV failure caught my attention.

My car seemed did not had any service campaigns or whatever for the COV. And the fact before the car caught on fire, there were flame burst coming from around the exhaust systme or whereever some place inside the engine cabin. So I suspect the failed COV may caused the flame burst. There was WC-43 and WE-12, I wonder if anyone can share me a copy of these two service bulletins.And if the failure of COV might be a potention cause for the bursting flame due to malfunction of the cooling sysmem?

NHTSA ID: 10048760
TSB ID: TI-64-12

Porsche: due to insufficient sealing, electric change over valves are susceptible to moisture and causes change over valves, overtime, to malfunction and the clutch cooling system (pdk) and gear wheel set may be impaired. models 2012-2013
Old 04-04-2019, 03:25 PM
thejazzman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robvnguyen
My 2014 991 Turbo S stalled today while going up a windy road @ 5K RPM. I pulled over, turned the car off, got out and it had a plastic/rubber burnt smell. When I tried restarting the car it would not start... it would crank but not fire up then had the Coolant System Fault message. Towed it to dealer. One thing is my exhaust sounded weird for the last couple of days and thought it was just the cold weather. It had no error message. I have an aftermarket Kline Exhaust with headers.

Hoping it's nothing major but the car not starting up worries me. We'll see Monday.
robvnguyen- What was the issue/fix?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Luyi Chen
Intermediate

yeah what was the fix? my car had similar smell and then burnt into ashes... fighting to find out what really happened.
Originally Posted by robvnguyen

Old 04-05-2019, 12:45 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an AC system failure and they said a solenoid was replaced and was done under warranty. It failed again a month later but no issues over winter. Haven’t had the car in two months due to upgrades so once it’s back the temp here in Houston will test this AC again pretty quick.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:31 AM
mrchua
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default COV

Originally Posted by STG
Got these today. Supposed to be the newest "F" version. Literally just being made available now.

This new version also requires a NEW wiring harness. The current harness won't work.

From Sunset Porsche:

The wiring harness part number for the latest change over valves is 991-612-944-00. They retail at $59.33ea and we sell them at $38.62ea.
Thanks for posting the picture.
Is it the same COV part for all 8 ones to replace or each COV is specific for each type to be replaced?

Can PIWIS detect which exact COV to be replaced?

thanks

thanks
Old 07-17-2019, 03:51 AM
mrchua
Intermediate

Brought my car to a 3rd party shop who has PIWIS.
The computer shows 1 COV Faulty.
So they tried switching 1 Good COV with the Faulty COV but the computer warning remains the same.

What does this mean? How do we identify which COV needs to be replaced?

thanks
Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 AM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by mrchua
Brought my car to a 3rd party shop who has PIWIS.
The computer shows 1 COV Faulty.
So they tried switching 1 Good COV with the Faulty COV but the computer warning remains the same.

What does this mean? How do we identify which COV needs to be replaced?

thanks
Was the car demonstrating any problems that caused you to hook it up to the PIWIS for diagnostics? My heater was not blowing hot which led to replacing that COV.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:44 PM
mrchua
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jim991
Was the car demonstrating any problems that caused you to hook it up to the PIWIS for diagnostics? My heater was not blowing hot which led to replacing that COV.
Car didnt demonstrate any problems except for that cooling fault on the display. But i didnt test my heater though.

What if my heater is working, how would I identify which COV to replace?

Quick Reply: Ongoing change over valve issues on 991