Sponsored by:

Ongoing change over valve issues on 991

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Duke,

Could have been the vacuum hose coming loose. I think that's common.

From what I've gathered, these new COV's just became available within the last few weeks. As of of a week ago, they hadn't even updated the new harness info. The dealers and parts warehouses have been told to deplete the older version first before installing these.

Had they been installed on 2016's I assume they would have been out a year ago. Maybe new for the 991.2's? I will try and find out.

I'm not much of a tech guy, so someone like Plenum could answer more of these other detailed questions.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:19 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by fbroen
FWIW the valves ending in "F", with a different wire harness, were out in late 2014.
Hmmmm... Not what I was told. My info has them just becoming available. Please explain what you know.

The PCNA warehouses still have version #2 in stock and have been told to use those before moving to the F version. Were the "F" used in another model first?
Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I had an F valve installed, with the new and different wire harness, in late 2014. (It took a looong time for my parts guy to get his hands on one back then. He had the wire harness almost right away, but took a month for the F valve to appear).

In March 2015 after a track weekend, I mistakenly thought it had failed, but it was the vacuum line popping off.

Since then, I have not had any issues. Knock on wood....

Clarification: I should add that I asked for an F valve specifically (thank you internet users for knowledge basis). This seems to give credence to the notion of them using up the earlier valves first -- which seems sort of silly, when they are known to be unreliable.

Last edited by fbroen; 03-10-2016 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-10-2016, 10:26 AM
STG
Race Director

^^ thanks. I'll try and find out more. Curious myself.

Just so you know, this is the third version now. F being the latest.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:36 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

A bit more banter on the topic:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-991-a-7.html
Old 03-10-2016, 10:44 AM
STG
Race Director

Don't be a stranger here on RL! Not sure if you're still on 6Speed much.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:53 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tpup
I have to be honest with you; who cares? Drive your car, enjoy it, when it breaks take it in and have it looked at. 6 months before the warranty expires sit down with your service advisor and have a candid conversation about what you should look for before the warranty runs out. I owned and drove a 996 c2 cab for 7 years with zero issues out of warranty. I owned and drove a 01 996 turbo for 10 years with zero issues out of warranty. Both should be basket cases if you believe what you read on the internet.

My point is that every modern car has a list of issues and you can drive yourself crazy working about it. Just enjoy your ride!
Thumbs up to this approach. There was a time when it got to me.
But while the COV valve issue is unfortunate, I have embraced this ethos^^ fully. Enjoy until/if the next valve goes, and then get it replaced.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:18 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 839 Likes on 420 Posts

Do you guys know if the wiring harness is a plug and play harness or is it a cut and splice?

Just thinking long term if one fails and I personally have to replace.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Do you guys know if the wiring harness is a plug and play harness or is it a cut and splice?

Just thinking long term if one fails and I personally have to replace.
Yes. Plug and play
Old 03-10-2016, 11:48 AM
STG
Race Director

Thumbs up to this approach. There was a time when it got to me.
But while the COV valve issue is unfortunate, I have embraced this ethos^^ fully. Enjoy until/if the next valve goes, and then get it replaced.
I'd rather save the irritation or have one of these go out undetected for some time and wondering what some gremlin problem may be. Anyway, taking some proactive action on my part is worth not wasting my time later. I plan on keeping the car a while so see it as a benefit. Anyway, whatever works for each persons situation. Not like it's an engine swap

After all, this has been an "ongoing" issue. Pretty much the only major issue 991's have had. Good news that's all it is though.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:22 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally had two change-over-valves fail on my 2012 C2 991.

The first was related to the HVAC. I got no heat at all.

The second was related to the Sound Symposer. It wasn't opening up when I pressed the Sport button.

Both times replaced under warranty. But neither one triggered a warning message for me to see.

In face I didn't even realize my Sound Symposer wasn't functioning until I had the car in for something unrelated and they caught it.

Pissses me off that there are still a bunch more of these that could fail at anytime in or out of warranty. Including the ones there were replaced.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:14 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 839 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
Pissses me off that there are still a bunch more of these that could fail at anytime in or out of warranty. Including the ones there were replaced.
I whole heartedly believe if you have one of these valves go south after your warranty period they will step up to the plate and cover it. Time will tell.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:43 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 694 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
6 for manual and no PSE

Add one each if you have PDK and PSE which would be 7 or a grand total of 8.

Mind you, these are covered under warranty. They did a voluntary replacement on some of them (not all) on the early 2012.5/2013 cars, but that was for the second version. They just now came out with the third version for the 991.1 because they are still having failures. Seems to be related to condensation. They went with a new manufacturer this time. I assume none of the new 2016's even have this version. Not 100% sure though. I'd have to check.

Have my car in for other work, and just decided to change them all out as a preventative measure at my cost. My car is still under warranty. Just don't feel like dealing with one or more failures. I think for some, you might not necessarily notice either from what I've read in this thread.

Two common ones that fail are for the PSE and heating system for the cabin.
Thank you so much for sharing this information!
Old 03-10-2016, 03:53 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 694 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
I personally had two change-over-valves fail on my 2012 C2 991.

The first was related to the HVAC. I got no heat at all.

The second was related to the Sound Symposer. It wasn't opening up when I pressed the Sport button.

Both times replaced under warranty. But neither one triggered a warning message for me to see.

In face I didn't even realize my Sound Symposer wasn't functioning until I had the car in for something unrelated and they caught it.

That is what happened to me (except the PSE was on constantly).

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I whole heartedly believe if you have one of these valves go south after your warranty period they will step up to the plate and cover it. Time will tell.
I talked to my dealer about this. Although they couldn't be definitive about it, they seemed to imply that if the COVs failed again outside of warranty it would probably be covered through good will. So I think you are right.

Black mark on an otherwise near-flawless machine. I have had only one other minor problem (one of the engine fans quit working). If they fix the COV problem once and for all...wow, that would be fantastic. Again, since I have had this fixed (about a year and a half ago), I have not had any problems since (knock on wood).

I go out of warranty in just 34 days!
Old 03-10-2016, 04:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Funny! I had a fan go out as well.

But like mentioned, a near flawless 991.1 model. Just good to talk about the small details as well. Because it is a big deal if one of these COV's go out.

From the information I've gathered, it looks like this new version started somewhere in the 2016 model year. This part is currently on its fourth revision. It's also being made by a new manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Ongoing change over valve issues on 991