Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

3:35 "porsh"
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
That's not my thing. But at the last two Tech Tactics held at the Ontario PCNA facility we had Peter Smith, Tony Callas, Chris Powell and Andy (forget his last name, but 25 years with Porsche teaching the dealer techs) giving presentations on multiple platforms from The Olden Days. Sadly, Bruce Anderson is gone now.

It's not video, but you just have to look at what Steve Weiner (Rennsport Systems in Portland) and Colin Benton (Ninemeister in England) add to the discussion on the forums.

I suppose the difference now is that anyone can make a video and post it. Way back when you had to get your *** out to a club event--tech session or track, or chat things up at the shop. I know I spent more time than I should have discussing things with customers when I ran my shops.
Somehow I think the makers of the vid had different goals in making their vid than a tech talk. No fair comparing to a Bruce Anderson session.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:20 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Thats a great idea. I look forward to your vid of guys who were there when they were new discussing the generations of air cooed cars.

Alternatively, folks who owned the models discussed in the video might just post here about them. I had a 74 I was happy to get rid of, and a 78 that I kept for 30 years and would still have if I had the room for it. Chuck911 has the best looking SC I have ever seen. You have a great list to start things off. Pics and stories?

(Or maybe its not for this forum unless something about 991s falls in or out?)
That's quite a compliment chuck, thanks. My view is that since a good deal of the 911's appeal is in its heritage and history, then as long as that connection is honored there's nothing but greater appreciation for the 991 to be gained by discussion and comparison with the earlier generations. That's why I love videos like this one so much.

As for the guys who were there, and a lot of this I've already PM'd you but for everyone else, I was there for everything from 1973 on. My first Porsche ride was a 69 911S. Next, a brand new 73 Turbo. As a teenager they weren't about to let me drive, but I eventually got my chance with those, and pretty much everything else, as a PCA Instructor later on. For the earlier cars I've been fortunate enough to have been able to spend countless wonderful hours with guys who owned everything from an absolutely perfect concours 67 911S to a perfectly restored 73 RS to track and race cars going all the way back even beyond the 911 to the 356. With that much scope of history its really hard to convey even just the major themes in any reasonable amount of time. I think these guys gave a remarkably superb and concise interview, especially in light of the fact it is intended as an overview of the market from the perspective of an owner/driver/collector and not a tech talk or history of development type presentation.

The one thing they said that I'm not seeing comes at 16:00 where they quote a guy saying its a shame the way Americans look at 911's because everywhere else in the world they're considered a proper drivers car, and they think that in a short amount of time that has become true in America too. I wish that were true but the vast majority of what I've seen says sorry, not even close. And yet it is most definitely true. That the 911 is a proper drivers car, I mean. Another reason to promote this video. And another reason to keep encouraging everyone to try Driver Skills, autocross, and Driver Ed track events. Because all the talk is great and definitely adds to the experience, but nothing I know conveys "Porsche" quite like driving one.

Quick Reply: Know your history-AFTER/DRIVE VIDEO