neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Default Know your history-AFTER/DRIVE VIDEO

Here's why you must buy a 911 today :

Old 02-14-2014 | 02:43 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Mike and Zac! Sweet.

I need a bigger garage so I can get a 79 911 SC for my right foot and a E30 M3 for my left foot. That would be the perfect Sat. and Sunday weekend!
Old 02-14-2014 | 03:00 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Still in the process of enjoying this video, but already I would like to draw attention to one early remark, about the early (60's) 911's, that "compared to any other sports car of that era they are just way better." This is exactly what I was saying in a post earlier today. The excitement of something 'new' enchants a lot of us with the illusion of 'new' being 'better'. As time passes though we tend to see more clearly. Those old 911's stand out as superior today probably more than they ever did when new. I have no doubt the same will hold true for today's 911. Terrific find, neanicu!
Old 02-14-2014 | 04:26 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

thanks for posting, enjoyed this a lot
Old 02-14-2014 | 09:13 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

They nailed the best of my experience with a 78 SC perfectly. The things that were wrong were fixable; the things that were right were readily improved upon -in my garage, at a tech session or right there between driving sessions at the track. Every 911 enthusiast should own an air cooled car at some time, just so they can appreciate where 911s came from, how far that have come, what's been lost, what's been gained (and how many ways knuckles can be skinned).
Old 02-15-2014 | 05:25 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Right on chuck. Another thing I think they are right about, the RS America is probably the best thing going in terms of performance and value combined with collectibility. Actually this whole video these guys distinguish themselves with their knowledge of the 911, both the cars and the market for them. Should be posted as a stick for guys buying a 991 who want to know more about the lineage of the 911, in practical terms.
Old 02-15-2014 | 06:16 PM
fester
Rennlist Member

Interesting discussion- and informative. Loved it.
Old 02-15-2014 | 06:41 PM
TRM
Pro

hhhmmm...maybe I should keep my 993. when she's in the driveway sitting by herself I have to admit I love this thing. and it is still a joy to drive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marsavius/12001459253/http://www.flickr.com/photos/marsavius/12001459253/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/marsavius/, on Flickr
Old 02-15-2014 | 07:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRM
hhhmmm...maybe I should keep my 993. when she's in the driveway sitting by herself I have to admit I love this thing. and it is still a joy to drive.
You have what I think is called a Trifecta!
Old 02-15-2014 | 10:06 PM
Mbiondo
Rennlist Member

The video is fine, and their views are, in my opinion, well regarded. But the dog in the background is visibly annoyed and bored. Did anyone bother to think about that? Well, did they?
Old 02-16-2014 | 07:22 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Actually this whole video these guys distinguish themselves with their knowledge of the 911, both the cars and the market for them.
They do? I think these kinds of pieces, while having their place, pale in comparison to discussing the cars with guys who were there when the cars were new. But, you know, those guys are busy making a living.

Overall I'd give this a 6/10, with 6-8 major mistakes in the discussion.
Old 02-16-2014 | 07:40 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Without your list of the top 6 major mistakes I give your post a three.
Overall I'm guessing two but holding out for zero once we see the list.
Frankly if you are able to correct 6 major mistakes these guys made then the knowledge increase alone would be worth a ten. Not quibbles or differing personal preferences but major mistakes. Quote and time would be great but if you want to just list what you think they got wrong- sorry, major wrong- I'll be happy to listen to the whole thing again and find them myself.
Old 02-16-2014 | 08:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Without your list of the top 6 major mistakes I give your post a three.
Overall I'm guessing two but holding out for zero once we see the list.
Frankly if you are able to correct 6 major mistakes these guys made then the knowledge increase alone would be worth a ten. Not quibbles or differing personal preferences but major mistakes. Quote and time would be great but if you want to just list what you think they got wrong- sorry, major wrong- I'll be happy to listen to the whole thing again and find them myself.
1. Zero discussion of mechanical "gotchas" of the torsion bar era. While most have probably been addressed when we're talking 25-50 year old cars, few buyers coming in addressed these as they developed. Extremely relevant to understand how these cars tick, mechanically. (This could be considered an omission, rather than a mistake. I'll stay on the mistake side.)

2. Selection of cars. Sure, not like they could go down to the Longhood Era and 2.7 Era Porsche store and haul in spiffy new models, but look at what was parked there. A white repaint peeling off of a previously blue car. Ooh, it's a longhood! Uh huh. And the '74 911/83 Carrera. What, 15 in the country? But it LOOKS like an SC/3.2 Carrera! The flippant comment about he'd "take $110K" for the car in a $140K world was wheeler-dealer to me.

3. Lack of having the meat of the torsion bar era represented. Doing a piece on where most new-to-the-marque guys are going to come? I consider not having the $15-25K model(s) represented a mistake.

4. The intermediate shaft bearing comment, and how it is applicable to MY99 only. What/when were M96 engines installed? (Yes, not specifically about air cooleds. Is a valid discussion to have overall when discussing where things are in the pecking order.)

I'll think about 5-8(?), and come back. Just doing this off the top of my head after having watched it 3 days ago.
Old 02-16-2014 | 08:30 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by race911
They do? I think these kinds of pieces, while having their place, pale in comparison to discussing the cars with guys who were there when the cars were new. But, you know, those guys are busy making a living.

Overall I'd give this a 6/10, with 6-8 major mistakes in the discussion.
Thats a great idea. I look forward to your vid of guys who were there when they were new discussing the generations of air cooed cars.

Alternatively, folks who owned the models discussed in the video might just post here about about them. I had a 74 I was happy to get rid of, and a 78 that I kept for 30 years and would still have if I had the room for it. Chuck911 has the best looking SC I have ever seen. You have a great list to start things off. Pics and stories?

(Or maybe its not for this forum unless something about 991s falls in or out?)
Old 02-16-2014 | 08:37 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Thats a great idea. I look forward to your vid of guys who were there when they were new discussing the generations of air cooed cars.

Alternatively, folks who owned the models discussed in the video might just post here about about them. You have a great list to start things off. Pics and stories?
That's not my thing. But at the last two Tech Tactics held at the Ontario PCNA facility we had Peter Smith, Tony Callas, Chris Powell and Andy (forget his last name, but 25 years with Porsche teaching the dealer techs) giving presentations on multiple platforms from The Olden Days. Sadly, Bruce Anderson is gone now.

It's not video, but you just have to look at what Steve Weiner (Rennsport Systems in Portland) and Colin Benton (Ninemeister in England) add to the discussion on the forums.

I suppose the difference now is that anyone can make a video and post it. Way back when you had to get your *** out to a club event--tech session or track, or chat things up at the shop. I know I spent more time than I should have discussing things with customers when I ran my shops.

Quick Reply: Know your history-AFTER/DRIVE VIDEO