Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, GT silver with what interior colors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:37 PM
lromanosky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like both GT Silver on Espresso, and GT Silver on Espresso/Cognac. I order the combination quite a bit. Aside from colour, the Espresso is a Natural leather, meaning it has a nicer touch and smell, and will show a natural patina. It will show wear more easily, both from scratches, and probably heat/sun too (though we woudn't know about that in Calgary!). Here are some photos...

Cheers, Lawrence
Calgary, Canada
Attached Images              
Old 02-12-2014, 04:40 PM
lromanosky
Instructor

Here is GT Silver on Black/Red,
Cheers,
Lawrence
Calgary, Canada
Attached Images    
Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM
lromanosky
Instructor

And here is a GT Silver on Black 997...
Old 02-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

I read a post somewhere that the natural leather was just as durable as the standard leather. I plan to use my car as a DD in snow/rain and keep it for 3-4 years. Would I be better off with standard leather for durability and wear?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:04 PM
lromanosky
Instructor

I read a post somewhere that the natural leather was just as durable as the standard leather. I plan to use my car as a DD in snow/rain and keep it for 3-4 years. Would I be better off with standard leather for durability and wear?
For sure the Natural leather is less resistant to scratches and scuffs... I could scratch it easily with my finger nail... Also I would think that it would be easier to stain. It feels more porous and it will absorb oils from your hands. It is thicker, and the patina it develops isn't a bad thing.

If the car had to deal with kids and dogs etc. I might not reccommend it, otherwise it is very nice.
Cheers,
Lawrence
Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Anybody know what the ordering code is to delete the deviating stitching on the steering column in leather?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 PM
lromanosky
Instructor

Anybody know what the ordering code is to delete the deviating stitching on the steering column in leather?
The steering column casing comes in black plastic. You can order it leather, then there is a window on the configurator in which the dealer can input the contrast stitch. If you don't put anything in, it comes tone on tone…

Cheers,
Lawrence.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Fixinbones
Pro

Originally Posted by lromanosky
The steering column casing comes in black plastic. You can order it leather, then there is a window on the configurator in which the dealer can input the contrast stitch. If you don't put anything in, it comes tone on tone… Cheers, Lawrence.
Thanks for the info!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,395 Likes on 5,004 Posts

I'm partial to deviated red/black interior.

But that's just me.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 08-19-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:39 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Here is GT Silver on Black/Red,
Cheers,
Lawrence
Calgary, Canada
lawrence, is that guards or carrera red deviated stitching
Old 02-13-2014, 03:43 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

my opinion is that the "espresso" brown will complement a "cooler" silver (rhodium) far better than it would GT silver.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:52 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
my opinion is that the "espresso" brown will complement a "cooler" silver (rhodium) far better than it would GT silver.
Funny.. This shows how different personal taste can be (which is a good thing BTW)

I would combine Rhodium Silver with Agate Grey interior and the warmer GT-Silver with the slightly warmer Espresso interior.

Suzy (via iOS app)
Old 02-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts

For sure the Natural leather is less resistant to scratches and scuffs... I could scratch it easily with my finger nail... Also I would think that it would be easier to stain. It feels more porous and it will absorb oils from your hands. It is thicker, and the patina it develops isn't a bad thing.

If the car had to deal with kids and dogs etc. I might not reccommend it, otherwise it is very nice.
Cheers,
Lawrence
Lawrence: From my experience, Porsche 'natural' leathers are not inherently less resistant to scratches and scuffs that Porsche 'standard', cheaper leathers. The base 'black' leather (see example of a 997's leather interior below) gets scratched too with a finger nail! As to whether if 'feels' more porous, etc, I suggest you read the following from post #13 at the 'Custom Ordering' thread linked below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

'Over at the 6speed forum, member 'jmmk' recently gave us a very interesting tutorial which might help explain things better for us. "Leather is a starting point for a car manufacturer. With the base leather, the leather is stretched and the outer layer is sanded off and a new grain is embossed into it to make it more uniform. This increases the porosity of the leather when the outside is sanded off and it accepts color better. However, it doesn't hold up as well unless a sealer is applied. So the 'leather' interior is considerably changed from its natural state. It is now thinner, uniform in both grain and color, and sealed against UV and infrared damage from the sun, making it suitable for an automobile use. Since it is stretched thinner you don't notice that it is slightly stiffer. It could be dark black or dark grey according to what the designer wanted. Full leather has nothing to do with what kind of leather is used, although the designer might specify a better grade if their research indicates the consumer expects it with the cost upgrade.

Natural leather is not stretched. It is natural thickness and has the natural grain still intact. It is tumble dyed in large drums that constantly roll and knead it to get it to accept the color. This softens it much like you would soften a dry chamois by kneading it. It retains the natural, saddle-like leather smell without adding synthetic aromas. The comfort, if you took the time to compare it, is obvious to the educated rear end. Even though less is done to cure leather this way, it is still more expensive since you get fewer square feet of leather out of a hide. The UV and infrared sealants are introduced into the leather while it is tumbling in the dye soaked drums and like the dye, is soaked all the way through the leather rather than added with the sealant.

Additional leather options in a Porsche, beyond the full leather option, show the skill and technology that Porsche craftsmen are capable of. For leather air conditioner vents, the leather is stretched almost paper thin to cover the plastic vanes of the outlet. Also, the match between what is leather and what is similar to leather is outstanding by automobile standards."

Over the years we have also heard the term 'aniline leather' to signified what is referred to by 'jmmk' and Porsche as 'Natural'. Wikipedia describes it as "Aniline leather is a type of leather dyed exclusively with soluble dyes without covering the surface with a topcoat paint or insoluble pigments. The resulting product retains the hide's natural surface with the 'grain', i.e. visible pores, scars etc. of the complete original animal's skin structure. Originally, the dyes used for this process were synthesized from aniline through chemical reactions. These dyes used to be called 'aniline dyes' or 'tar dyes'. In modern times, the dyes used are subject to laws and regulations in many countries, and the use of certain azo compounds is prohibited as there are reasons to assume health risks. Typically, leather is dyed both for aesthetic reasons and to conceal blemishes. The dye colours leather without producing the uniform surface of pigmented leather. Any visible variations on the surface of the undyed leather such as natural blemishes will remain visible. There are different kinds of aniline leather, but the same kinds of dyes are used in the process. The dyes used are clear and transparent chemicals that allow the grain structure of the leather to be seen. These dyes show the natural texture, but do not protect the leather from damage. Aniline leather may be referred to as full aniline or full sauvage leather to differentiate between this dye treatment and variants. Semi-aniline leather is produced through a very similar process to full-aniline, but has a thin protective top coat added to protect it from wear and staining. Pull up aniline leather has additional oil or wax applied to the leather to give it a distressed look'.

In summary, I personally think that the semi-aniline 'natural' leather presently used by Porsche (which has a thin protective top coat added to protect it from wear and staining) is one of the toughest & best leather you can use on a car's interior - regardless whether you use your car sparingly as a garage queen or flog it as a daily driver! I hate to see Fixinbones or anyone else in this forum become reluctant to order (if they can afford it) the better grade 'natural' leather in a Porsche because of worries of premature wear & tear. But to each his own.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suzy991
Funny.. This shows how different personal taste can be (which is a good thing BTW)

I would combine Rhodium Silver with Agate Grey interior and the warmer GT-Silver with the slightly warmer Espresso interior.

Suzy (via iOS app)
and it all really depends on the angle the sun is shining too...and whether or not there are clouds in the sky, etc...
Old 02-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
and it all really depends on the angle the sun is shining too...and whether or not there are clouds in the sky, etc...
Very true indeed!

Suzy (via iOS app)

Quick Reply: Help, GT silver with what interior colors?