Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, GT silver with what interior colors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:11 AM
lromanosky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lawrence, is that guards or carrera red deviated stitching
On the Turbo S Coupe with the two tone leather interior, the leather is Carrera Red, and the contrast stitch would be as well. I can try to post photos of a car with Carrera Stitch and one with Guards so you see the difference.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Old 02-14-2014, 12:21 AM
lromanosky
Instructor

Lawrence: From my experience, Porsche 'natural' leathers are not inherently less resistant to scratches and scuffs that Porsche 'standard', cheaper leathers. The base 'black' leather (see example of a 997's leather interior below) gets scratched too with a finger nail! As to whether if 'feels' more porous, etc, I suggest you read the following from post #13 at the 'Custom Ordering' thread linked below:
Well maybe there is not too much difference between the two. But before I posted I made a point of examining two cars in our showroom; one with Espresso and one with the full black leather, to confirm. I still think that the Espresso is easier to scratch or scuff, and I know I have to be a bit more careful with these cars in the showroom.

This is more of an issue with our SUV's, where they can lead vastly different lives from one another. With the sports cars I encourage people to go with the Natural leathers.

One last point, when you order the plain, 8 way seats, you get an entirely different kind of leather with a much coarser grain, which feels much more 'industrial' and I expect it would be the most durable of all. But I prefer the 'fine grain' leather (either 'natural' or regular) that comes with the Full Leather interiors, and also comes on the seat surfaces if you order the 14 or 18 way seats.

Hope that isn't too confusing…

Cheers,
Lawrence.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:33 AM
lromanosky
Instructor

my opinion is that the "espresso" brown will complement a "cooler" silver (rhodium) far better than it would GT silver.
I don't think that I would do a Rhodium/Espresso car. Rhodium is definitely cooler, and shows a fairly pronounced blue tint in the sun. I like Rhodium with Black and red and Platinum/Pebble Grey, but the Espresso is too warm, in my opinion.

GT silver has some bronze flecks in it, and it is warmer, and I think it is better with Expresso and Agate.

Again, just my opinion.

Cheers, Lawrence
Old 02-14-2014, 12:58 PM
lromanosky
Instructor

Here are a couple of Boxsters, Rhodium Silver and Platinum Silver. The Rhodium is the lighter colour. Platinum, which was replaced by Rhoduim for 2014, is very close to GT Silver, though the GT Silver is a multi stage paint and has more depth. The tones of GT Silver and Platinum are similar. Rhoduim has more 'sparkle' but is more sensitive to interior colour in my opinion. It shows a definite blue hue in the sunlight. The Platinum and GT Silver with their warmer tones, can go with just about anything, where as the Rhodium is 'crisper' and I don't like it with the more 'earthy' interior colours. Again, colours are pretty subjective, but this is my opinion.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Calgary, Canada
Attached Images    
Old 02-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree with you completely. Platinum and GT definitely warmer and better matched to espresso or espresso/ cognac.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:44 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's an unprocessed dslr image of my c4s with GT silver and espresso (leather mirror, extended dashboard etc etc)...

Last edited by fester; 05-16-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:58 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Here's my son holding GT Silver on the right and platinum silver on the left. The decision was a no brainer...

Last edited by fester; 05-16-2014 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Help, GT silver with what interior colors?