Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need option advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have the multifunction steering wheel, but you can certainly answer the phone with the function stalk. I would go that route and get the better looking sports steering wheel. I'd also skip the Power Steering assist, as it feels overboosted to me. Definitely drive one with and without, as I would pay extra to NOT have that option.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also get solid colors in natural leather and do some simple deviated like on the top of the dash. Maybe a black interior and silver stitching to math the paint.

Just a thought
Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40

also, make sure you check out a real life rhodium silver before ordering (if you go that route). gt silver is gorgeous, but a completely different shade of silver than rhodium, which is rather shockingly light blue-ish in seattle's overcast daylight. at the dealer last week, i saw a few examples in rhodium, and at first i thought it was a pts silver blue metallic from the original 911 days...frankly it would have not been my taste had i been expecting a more "standard silver" exterior.

)
A dozen yrs ago, Polar silver ( think North Pole / glaciers) was std and many complained it was blue- ish so it was replaced with Arctic silver ( think Scandanavia/ midnight sun ) , which went the other way with a warm tone. Rhodium reminds me of Polar , so yes - buyer beware, esp coupes.
OTOH, rhodium looks great with blue interior and blue top on a cab, an Aston Martin - like look.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:28 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

I believe you are right that the two tone gets you deviating stitching on the dash and top of the door trim. I would steer away from the black and platinum grey if this will be a daily driver. Probably a PITA to keep clean.

I just ordered a TT in GT silver with espresso natural leather. The GT goes great with this interior!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the multi function wheel option deletes the stalk that comes with other steering wheels .. I much prefer the stalk as it's not nearly as fiddly as the controls on the MFSW
Old 01-20-2014, 01:00 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Badknees
... I'll probably go with the GT silver.

The car should come with PCCB, so brake dust shouldn't be much of an issue, so I'm still undecided on wheel colour. I remember one of the first Turbos I ever saw (930) was Silver with Black wheels and I thought it looked great. I just don't know if that's the way to go with the 991.

Any thoughts on two tone interiors? Is Black/Platinum gray hard to keep clean? Too blingish? Out of fashion? The silver with all black leather seemed like a classic combo to me.
The all black interior/gt silver exterior will be a fairly dramatic and sporty look, with all the black bits on the exterior matching the interior. I think that particular combo looks better with the silver wheels than the black: black tires, silver wheels, black tires, silver car, black intakes, etc, more silver car, black interior. Contrast stitching might make it look a bit sportier, but maybe not as dramatic.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I owned a 2007 911 with GT Silver paint and a black full leather interior. It's a great combo. Keep it simple. Let the colors and materials speak for themselves.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:51 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad knees, I'd strongly consider the black red two tone that is only offered on the tts. Gt silver and some red inside is a true Porsche classic a la 550 RS...btw these are fantastic problems to have, isn't it?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the MFSW and don't find it fiddly at all. The 3 main reasons to get the MFSW. First, it's the only way to get a heated steering wheel which for me is mandatory....I love it. Second, it's way easier to change radio volume and answer the phone without taking your eyes off the road. Third, I don't track my car and rarely use the toggles so I don't care what kind of paddles I have. If none of that is important to you then the sports steering wheel is very nice. To me, the grip on both are similar. This is my 2nd 911 with the MFSW and it works for me. If you love to shift manually then it's probably not for you. I am used to the toggles so it's no big deal for me.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Badknees
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all - many great perspectives and info.

Originally Posted by oldman40
these are fantastic problems to have, isn't it?
agony
Old 01-20-2014, 04:24 PM
Badknees
Racer

Originally Posted by apias
The all black interior/gt silver exterior will be a fairly dramatic and sporty look, with all the black bits on the exterior matching the interior. I think that particular combo looks better with the silver wheels than the black: black tires, silver wheels, black tires, silver car, black intakes, etc, more silver car, black interior. Contrast stitching might make it look a bit sportier, but maybe not as dramatic.
I'm now leaning towards silver wheels. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, reading through all your comments again I was getting the feeling you'll be happy with a very classic, as in timeless, Porsche. That means GT Silver, black interior, standard silver wheels. With (sigh) the 911 Turbo S badge on the back. But honestly that is the way to do it. Unless you have a really strong attraction to something different, which it seems like you don't. And really, in terms of being special or unique, the car already has that in spades simply by virtue of being a Turbo S. Of course that means no plastic 'Aluminum Look' gas cap, and you'll probably have to get by without a matching GT Silver key, but where is the life without sacrifice, eh?
Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Rhodium Silver and Black/Platinum interior? NOOOOOOOO! Oh well, just remember I had mine first! IMO, it's a very classy combo. The stitching on the dash and doors, etc, really stands out. I like the alloy door accents as well.

Rhodium, BTW, is not quite as "blue" as the old Polar Silver. I have one of those in the garage, too, so I've have side by side proof.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Badknees
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
Yes, reading through all your comments again I was getting the feeling you'll be happy with a very classic, as in timeless, Porsche. That means GT Silver, black interior, standard silver wheels. With (sigh) the 911 Turbo S badge on the back. But honestly that is the way to do it. Unless you have a really strong attraction to something different, which it seems like you don't. And really, in terms of being special or unique, the car already has that in spades simply by virtue of being a Turbo S. Of course that means no plastic 'Aluminum Look' gas cap, and you'll probably have to get by without a matching GT Silver key, but where is the life without sacrifice, eh?
You analyzed me well !

Just when I was going to eMail my dealer to set up an appt to talk about his TTS allocations and my specs, this picture was posted ...

Originally Posted by BradB
Rhodium Silver and Black/Platinum interior? NOOOOOOOO! Oh well, just remember I had mine first! IMO, it's a very classy combo. The stitching on the dash and doors, etc, really stands out. I like the alloy door accents as well.

That interterior looks very nice. Darn you for posting that

Decisions, decisions. I'm still leaning towards all black, but that picture makes things difficult.

Rhodium, BTW, is not quite as "blue" as the old Polar Silver. I have one of those in the garage, too, so I've have side by side proof.

Wow. Just Wow.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Brake dust is a big issue on silver wheels so if you're not going to get ceramic brakes then black wheels will help keep down the visibility of the brake dust some.
I'm just coming off of nearly 18 years with a car that came with gloss black wheels on it. It's the one cosmetic feature of the car that I've hated from day one, as even a slight amount of brake dust very quickly has the wheels looking filthy. The amount of brake dust necessary for this to occur is way less than the amount required to make the silver wheels on my other cars look dirty. I think that's because bright silver wheels reflect far more ambient light, which tends to shine right through a light coating of dust...whereas black wheels reflect almost no light at all, leaving the brake dust far more obvious because the dust actually reflects more light than the wheels do.

I've been shopping GTSs, and they are almost universally equipped with black wheels, which is scaring me off. I'll never again put up with that maintenance headache. I have only seen one GTS so far (a black one) that had silver wheels on it...and it looked fantastic. If PCCBs make this a moot point, then it'll just come down to your cosmetic preference. Personally, I'm too poisoned for black wheels to ever consider them again, even with PCCBs. To each his own, though...

JMO, but this looks really elegant...a nice, neutral way to lighten up the interior a bit.

Finally, my vote is for the Sport steering wheel. The controls are still present in one form or another, and it just looks so much more a part of the interior. See the above picture...what could look better than that? To me, the MFSW in the 911 just looks like it was cobbled from a Panamera or a Cayenne...like it doesn't quite belong in this car. Again, JMO...

Quick Reply: Need option advice