Sponsored by:

Need option advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:07 AM
Badknees
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need option advice

Trying to spec a Turbo S. Need to hear some sage advice. I'm an old guy whose track days are behind me.

GT Silver
Black interior
Park Assist
Power Steering Plus
Classic wheels
18 way sport seats
Luggage Net
Smokers Pkg
Seat Ventilation
Seat Heating
Sport Design Steering Wheel in Alcantara

The radio is never on, so I skipped the Burmester

I chose the classic wheel because I'm nervous about Centerlock issues, and the user-friendliness of non-centerlocks.

Should the Classic Wheels be black with a silver car?

I could consider Rhodium Silver, Black/Platinum Gray interior

I didn't choose multifunction wheel because I like the feel of alcantara on a steering wheel. Is multifunction really convenient?

What do y'all think? It's not easy when I see what others order and wonder what I'm missing.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Brake dust is a big issue on silver wheels so if you're not going to get ceramic brakes then black wheels will help keep down the visibility of the brake dust some.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:52 AM
PeterC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car is GT cruiser, I think multi-function steering wheels are fitting. Heck if you've got heated and ventilated seats and park assist might as well go for it. For me, I like being able to answer the phone, or use voice command to phone someone without my hands leaving the wheel. I have Heads Up Display in my BMW and I find it excellent in combination with steering wheel controls. It projects, speed, and directions from the NAVI onto the screen, along with other info and I think its safe. But I don't think HUD is available - worth a check. Might want to consider adaptive cruise as a substitute for Power Steering Plus. No sun roof?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:56 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I like the standard silver wheels with GT Silver. Even better, paint the wheels GT Silver. Not listed as an option on the Configurator but I'm sure Porsche Exclusive can help you out there. Model delete? Can a Turbo S fly under the radar?
Old 01-20-2014, 02:17 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great set up, good luck! my 2cents, skip the multifunction wheel, if you don't use the radio, you definitely won't use the dials and button on the wheel. I have a sport design wheel, it's perfectly fine.

also, make sure you check out a real life rhodium silver before ordering (if you go that route). gt silver is gorgeous, but a completely different shade of silver than rhodium, which is rather shockingly light blue-ish in seattle's overcast daylight. at the dealer last week, i saw a few examples in rhodium, and at first i thought it was a pts silver blue metallic from the original 911 days...frankly it would have not been my taste had i been expecting a more "standard silver" exterior.

finally, chuck911 a model delete was a bold suggestion, that would put someone in the top 1% of turbo owners...
Old 01-20-2014, 03:19 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, I too was surprised at the look of the Rhodium cars at Barrier recently. GT Silver though, classic!

Probably not even 1% would delete the coveted Turbo S badge. It would make you the honey badger of Turbo S owners! (No I am not gonna provide the link!)
Old 01-20-2014, 09:05 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

I would certainly skip the multifunction wheel.

Rhodium while nice, has a strange blue hue to it.

Silver wheels will look very nice. The brake dust is completely acceptable.

Best of luck.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
The brake dust is completely acceptable.
Yeah if you want your wheels to look like crap.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Your build is about perfect.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

My experience with ceramic pads has been dramatically less brake dust but I don't know if that is the case with Porsche ceramics. A member of my club has a Turbo S with the centerlock wheels and they look incredible and I cannot imagine any problems associated with them.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Badknees
Racer

I appreciate all the help.

I'll probably go with the GT silver.

The car should come with PCCB, so brake dust shouldn't be much of an issue, so I'm still undecided on wheel colour. I remember one of the first Turbos I ever saw (930) was Silver with Black wheels and I thought it looked great. I just don't know if that's the way to go with the 991.

I didn't select sunroof as my doctors have told me to stay out of the sun.

I'm not even sure what the various phone options do.

Any thoughts on two tone interiors? Is Black/Platinum gray hard to keep clean? Too blingish? Out of fashion? The silver with all black leather seemed like a classic combo to me.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Badknees
Racer

Originally Posted by Jerry991
My experience with ceramic pads has been dramatically less brake dust but I don't know if that is the case with Porsche ceramics. A member of my club has a Turbo S with the centerlock wheels and they look incredible and I cannot imagine any problems associated with them.
I like the look of the Centerlocks, but was told the dealer has to R&R them. Owner's aren't supposed to. Then there were the issues where I heard they were recalled, and about a replacement schedule that has to be followed, especially for cars that see the track in an aggressive way.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:53 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes, definitely stay away from the sunroof.
All you get is added weight with rattles and squeaks.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my natural leather and the two tone with deviating stitching is the first thing the mention about my car. I went brown and espresso conac but on silver others would look better. The natural leather is much nicer for a cruiser.

Take a look at the deviated stitching options as that is the only regret on my order I have. It takes some looking but to me well worth it. There are some examples on this sight so look before you leap.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Badknees
Racer

I think two tone defaults to deviated stitching. Doing deviated stitching on my own puts pressure on me to choose where it makes sense. I thought I saw a two tone black/plat gray interior with the gray stitching. I thougt it looked nice, but my reservations were keeping the seats clean and whether or not the two tone colour will pass the test of time and not become "old-fashioned".

Quick Reply: Need option advice