Sponsored by:

Who's tracking their 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SM_ATL
Could not agree more -retrospectively-. Having seen the other car operating over the week end, my brain just went straight to the 'brake smoke' conclusion.
Never trust Ockham's razor at this type of speed. Lesson painfully learnt.
Watching your video, the smoke to me is the first inkling, and would have had me easing off even before coming over that little brow. Then all that crap on the track would have had me moving off-line and slowing down right now. Smoke is just air. The track is all.

One challenge of track driving is realizing that while it is the same course year after year it is never the same track even from one lap to the next. The temp changes, it rains, a car throws dirt on it, you name it, it happens. I've even come around a turn to find a car right there in the middle of the track pointed straight at me. Twice.

You cannot rely on turn workers, radios, instructors, anything other than your own unrelenting vigilance and sound judgment. Lots of guys have told me nothing they have ever done is so demanding of total concentration and focus, and I find it hard to disagree. I've sat right next to drivers who let it lapse for just a moment, that was all it took. So yes you had a painful experience. Hopefully one that serves you well not only on the track but on the road- which like the track you can never really afford to feel too familiar with either.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, my roll bar is a bbi and i have been happy with it. Really sturdy. Not the easiest to install, but with the exception of a small cut in the carpet, no damage done to the car for when you want to resell it. Here are a couple of pics:
Thanks Serge! I'm glad it works with a harness... looks like I'll be calling bbi.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, my roll bar is a bbi and i have been happy with it. Really sturdy. Not the easiest to install, but with the exception of a small cut in the carpet, no damage done to the car for when you want to resell it.
Much appreciated. It looks great – and I was wondering about the quality – glad to hear you like it. Can you move those (beautiful) buckets all the way back?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:14 AM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
So yes you had a painful experience. Hopefully one that serves you well not only on the track but on the road- which like the track you can never really afford to feel too familiar with either.
Yes this was a lesson painfully learned. After time spent on the track, you may become too confident, but the laws of physics still apply. I should also have mentioned that it was Sunday night at 5PM. My friends had left before the final session. I was not trying to break any track record, but I certainly was not as sharp and focused as during previous sessions that week end. That also is part of the lesson. All these things that you have heard and told yourself 1,000 times and that somehow you still manage to dismiss one day :bang head:
Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 AM
SM_ATL
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Much appreciated. It looks great – and I was wondering about the quality – glad to hear you like it. Can you move those (beautiful) buckets all the way back?
I think you can. The tricky part is when you leave the roll bar in place and try to reinstall your stock memory seats. They can not go all the way back because of the roll bar and for this reason, you can not reset the memory system. Guys at the dealership worked a couple of hours on the car before finding the explanation.
I am the only driver, so even if I swap back my 18 way seats at times, I do not mind about the memory functionality.

Quick Reply: Who's tracking their 991