Targa = Cabrio hump back

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Targa = Cabrio hump back

I perhaps set my sites too high, but I was looking forward to the 991 Targa as being two things:
1. based on the coupe for lightness and rigidity with a manual roof panel and hatchback access
2. elegant, graceful and a statement of the 911 as a versatile sports car

I fear what I see today is none of these aspirations. I wonder if Porsche simply capped the cabrio with a hatch and simply is too young in its staff to know what the targa has been as a 911.

I also expected it to arrive as a 2015 model (at this late date) and herald the 991.2 upgrades, especially if the forthcoming 991.1 GT3 brings the steering feel and handling described by Harris Monkey, et al.

They could even have gone with a soft window version (all manual) and I would have been standing on my seat applauding. But this ungainly humpback is none of the above. It seems to have been stillborn from the marketing department as a cash-in on the 991 to give the showroom sales something new, but not new.

As the intro video honestly depicts it, this Targa is as unevolved as the subconscious image of an escalator ride into a vagina; the Edsel of 911's.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:48 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

+1 I don't like the look of the hump on the cab. So it ruined the look of the Targa for me.

Cab owners: Just my $0.02, to each his own.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Range Rover
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 59 Posts

I love it, personally... perhaps my favorite iteration of the 991... and I like them all very much. Of course, I've always had a soft spot for the classic Targa's, and this is clearly reminiscent of the pre 993 Targa.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Hey Carrera,where you've been man?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Targa model has been based on the cab for 20 years, now it seems to share even more parts with some of the folding mechanism, or at least be conceptually similar. Personally I like the lines, although don't know if I will be trading in my 991 C2 with a glass roof. The extra weight of the targa, plus awd etc might not be worth it. Plus, I really enjoy the natural light of the glass roof, really improves the spaciousness of a (relatively) small vehicle.

To me, the new Targa is a modern take on the original - folding cloth top that completely disappears with a structural roll bar. So, to sum up:

991 with glass sun roof = 997, 996, 993 targa
991 targa = original targa
Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the targa is a great design. However, I'd rather get a cab for about the same $.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:08 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I perhaps set my sites too high, but I was looking forward to the 991 Targa as being two things:
1. based on the coupe for lightness and rigidity with a manual roof panel and hatchback access
2. elegant, graceful and a statement of the 911 as a versatile sports car

I fear what I see today is none of these aspirations. I wonder if Porsche simply capped the cabrio with a hatch and simply is too young in its staff to know what the targa has been as a 911.
Adam: Yes, you set your sights way too high! Many of us have found the design appealing. And for those of us that have been speculating about how the mechanics of the 991 Targa would actually work for the past 2 years on these forums, nothing that we saw today came as a surprise. In fact, we had pretty much guessed for a long time that the actual top mechanism would mimic the top part of the current 991 cabrio, which goes unfolded into the rear of the cab for storage.

As I recall, one of your main concerns about the 991 Targa would be the angle of the rear seats, to see if they actually were less upright than those on your 991 cabriolet. I have taken some still shots of the presentation today by Porsche CEO Matthias Müller in the Detroit Auto Show, which can be seen in full at this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7920...-2014-a-2.html

Let me know what you think of the angle of those rear seats vs your old 991 cab!

They could even have gone with a soft window version (all manual) and I would have been standing on my seat applauding. But this ungainly humpback is none of the above. It seems to have been stillborn from the marketing department as a cash-in on the 991 to give the showroom sales something new, but not new.
As much of an enthusiast as I have been for the Boxster Spyder, I believe that the manual top they designed for that exceptionally lightweight model will be the last true manual top ever on a modern Porsche. I don't think there is a demand in the market for what you are suggesting they should have done with the 991 Targa. That is only my opinion...but one that apparently is also shared by Porsche.

As the intro video honestly depicts it, this Targa is as unevolved as the subconscious image of an escalator ride into a vagina
I don't think I needed this visual!

I also expected it to arrive as a 2015 model (at this late date) and herald the 991.2 upgrades, especially if the forthcoming 991.1 GT3 brings the steering feel and handling described by Harris Monkey, et al.
As you may remember, I have been recently talking on this forum about the upcoming .2 991 facelift. I also thought that it could come as early as MY2015. But apparently not. To me, the meaning of this Targa intro in .1 991 version form, and the fact that it will be produced starting this summer, is that it will indeed likely come as a MY2015! But MY2015 will be still the .1 version and not the facelift .2. Apparently the facelift will not be coming until MY2016. Thus, I expect the .2 facelift 991 to be arriving as an exceptionally early release MY2016, probably at the beginning of calendar year 2015! My dos centavos for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Currently in Scottsdale for the Auctions!

Attached Images      
Old 01-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

So many different surface materials in those photos. One too many, IMHO.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
+1 I don't like the look of the hump on the cab. So it ruined the look of the Targa for me.

Cab owners: Just my $0.02, to each his own.
jlanka....nice looking car. Got to love a guy who builds a C4S with a Powerkit AND Aerokit - deviating stitching and red belts. To me anyway, that is the ultimate 4 season 911...but everytime I go build one on the configurator to do that I say to myself "is that what that adds up too...?!"
Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Saludos,
Eduardo
Currently in Scottsdale for the Auctions!

Enjoy Barrett-Jackson! A few friends are down there to watch the Gas Monkey Garage F40 sale and some other notables.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:43 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cab for me
Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
So many different surface materials in those photos. One too many, IMHO.
agreed. roof should have been glass too.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
jlanka....nice looking car. Got to love a guy who builds a C4S with a Powerkit AND Aerokit - deviating stitching and red belts. To me anyway, that is the ultimate 4 season 911...but everytime I go build one on the configurator to do that I say to myself "is that what that adds up too...?!"
It adds up to a lot. But if you are going to create a special C4S, you have to be willing to pay. jlanka killed it -- a stunning car.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I had waited. This Targa is the nicest 911 ever.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:52 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Range Rover
I love it, personally... perhaps my favorite iteration of the 991... and I like them all very much. Of course, I've always had a soft spot for the classic Targa's, and this is clearly reminiscent of the pre 993 Targa.
I agree, I will have to see it in person, but based off the Video I think it is the best looking 991, not so much on the 997. I am glad it is a true Targa, even though you lose the versatility of the 997 Targa.

Quick Reply: Targa = Cabrio hump back