Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Make auto stop/start off by default?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:36 AM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the BMW you can easily code it to stay off at start up. it is now a standard feature on my 2016 X5, but prior model years can be easily coded... see all the BMW forums... For Porsches I am not so sure...
Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM
GarbageMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
in the BMW you can easily code it to stay off at start up. it is now a standard feature on my 2016 X5, but prior model years can be easily coded... see all the BMW forums... For Porsches I am not so sure...

I didn't even need to code it on the BMW. There is a button just below the Start/Stop button; as long as it stays "amber", you never have to do anything. Pushing it and making it "green" means Auto Start/Stop is on... My M5 is a 2014...
Old 05-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Stil_1
Instructor

Originally Posted by GarbageMan
I'm with you, and understand. Much of the time I will drive in sport. That said, I have a 2014 M5 as my current toy (It isn't, nor will the TTS be my primary) Many times in the a.m., after buying coffee, I'm driving like a grandfather for awhile (while I'm drinking). If the Porsche "Sport" is anything like the BMW, then the car holds gears longer and runs up the RPMs unless one "feathers" the throttle. In other words, I want calmness many times without having to trick the car. Having said all of this, much of my angst is from not being able (at least as the dealer tells me now) keep it defaulted to "off" as my M5 allows. The "krauts" are trying to force me to save the world...
In Sport, while it does hold gears longer, it's not like an M5's M Mode, which is quite a bit more aggresive (if configured that way). Sport plus is much more like the M5's M mode, so that would be the one to avoid during slow days.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:28 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

^^^ Agreed. As has been written in other threads... Normal should be called Economy Mode and should have a button to select it. Sport should be the standard mode at start up. Sport Plus should be Sport. Likely the way it would have been without standards put out by the government emissions nerds.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:03 AM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Auto start/stop component wear and tear

So, what's the impact on the battery and starter. Yes, I know the battery will recharge rapidly (or is there a capacitor involved?) but it seems the service life of the starter and other related\affected parts should be shortened by the frequent cycle of starts and stops - Any insights?
Old 05-11-2016, 09:20 AM
LCW
Pro

I think the system is pretty much the same across manufacturers. It is probably made by the same supplier. This function has been in use for several model years now (in particular in Europe). I think either the life expectancy of the affected components is longer than we think or they are truly designed to take on the increased use. You don't hear about these components failing prematurely.

Just drive in sport mode - problem solved... it is also better for your heart and smile !! :-)
Old 05-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We all know that sport mode turns it off. That isn't the issue. When I pull away in the morning I don't want sport mode on with the loud exhaust. I turn on sport mode in 2-3 mins after I get to my first main street. It's a crap feature that the 991.1 didn't have. If you like it use it but I hate it and most people hate it as well. Worst change that was made to the 991.2 IMHO.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:42 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I do not like this feature and am not happy Porsche defaulted it to on ... Some say no big deal t is just a button to push but I had this same default 'to on' in my 2013 BMW for 6 months until I got around to having the dealer program to last known setting.

Fortunately like others mentioned BMW changed the default to last known setting in 2014.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:00 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

I would gladly give up a hamburger a week to stop the insanity.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:21 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This all about pushing a button to off. Four pages and 59 posts on this thread about pushing a button. You guys need to spark a joint and mellow out.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:47 PM
carsnob
Advanced

On another note , I hated it in my Panamera 4.S.
In the new 991.2 with MT, it seemed odd at first but then as fast as you put in the clutch , it starts so quickly ... If this is what PORSCHE had in mind as a multiple daily occurrence , I would think the related components would have to be up to the task , without creating undue where and tear ...
What makes it more interesting is if you're on a hill , then you're releasing the electronic brake as you're letting the clutch out, as the eThe n Motor starting up gone starts up...
Old 05-18-2016, 06:16 PM
hduffy
Instructor

Originally Posted by trusevich
That's what people were saying when they invented electric lighting - what's the big deal lighting that candle when you need light?

-Vlad / TDesign9.com
It's not lighting the candle, it's the damn wind constantly blowing it out. 5 pages on this subject is a lot of hot moving air. Don't mean to insult anybody.

Last edited by hduffy; 05-18-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:20 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

5 pages is really not much for a car forum!
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Quick Reply: Make auto stop/start off by default?