Sponsored by:

Make auto stop/start off by default?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:57 PM
E8000
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LCW
My understanding is that in the US spec 991.2 (aka MY 2107 in the US market) they have changed it and by default Auto Start Stop (***) is always engaged when you first start the car - i.e. it does not remember the last setting before shut off. I will be able to confirm this as soon as I take delivery of my car, but in the meantime maybe someone in the US who has taken delivery of a 991.2 can chime in. I do know, from my test drive, that pressing the Sport or Spot+ button automatically disengages the ***...
Picked up a '17 today and it seems to start up with Auto Start Stop engaged. Kind of annoying.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgadbois
I like it. It freaks the wife off when the car shuts off. The first few times I told her the car broke. Now she is use to it.
Yep.

I've driven multiple cars in EU & it's always on. I got used to it & it serves a purpose: In areas w/ a lot if lights & traffic it just makes sense.

No issues for me.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 917k
I've driven multiple cars in EU & it's always on. I got used to it & it serves a purpose: In areas w/ a lot if lights & traffic it just makes sense.
I can't stand the stop/start. If you look at the oil pressure, it takes a couple seconds to get back up to normal operating range. I'd worry about premature engine wear without giving it a bit and waiting at every green light while everyone else goes and thinks I'm not paying attention.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I hate it as well. If I couldn't turn it off I wouldn't buy it. Absolutely hate hate hate it. Worst feature ever.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:23 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

See #33. They will have a fix shortly.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:17 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I must be the only person that likes the auto start/stop. I used to drive a Honda CRZ which did the same thing...I like not wasting fuel in the Starbucks line.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:01 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DerekS
I must be the only person that likes the auto start/stop. I used to drive a Honda CRZ which did the same thing...I like not wasting fuel in the Starbucks line.
One thing I found out is that even if I have it on it usually won't turn the car off and if it does it will only stay off for a few seconds, since the AC is always running.

If I were waiting for a train or something maybe I could see it, but otherwise the shuttering and constant on and off of the engine doesn't seem enjoyable to me
Old 05-09-2016, 01:39 AM
trusevich
AutoX

Originally Posted by DerekS
The thing is - if you like it - use it! What people hate is that the choice is pushed on you now, even in expensive high performance cars... How would you like if they pour you shilrley temple when you ordered coffee?
Old 05-09-2016, 01:52 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

The only time I have been able to get mine to shut off the engine is when I TRY to make it do so. I run hot so I always have the AC on and even at its lowest setting the engine never turns off.

Now the Cayenne was totally different. It shut off all the time but it never bothered me.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

When I'm in the coffee line I get thumbs up for the engine burble.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM
GarbageMan
Advanced

I have a '17 Turbo S on order and we are discussing this issue in that forum. I was told it is being debated on this one as well. I'm considering pulling my order if it can't be "coded" as default "off". This is silliness. To have it foisted upon me by Liberal Euros when I'm buying a $200k+ car is absurd. What if I don't want to save gas or the world; what if I don't want premature engine wear; what if I'm a Redneck-Right-Wing-Texan who just wants a nice sports car without "nannies"?
Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 AM
LCW
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a new 991.2. You should keep in mind that once you start the car, it will always start in "normal" mode. It does not remember if you last left it in Sport mode, therefore you need to put it in Sport mode (if that is what you prefer) every time you start it. When you select Sport mode, the Auto Start Stop function is automatically disabled.... just one button, or dial turn, to press... not the end of the world in my opinion....
Old 05-10-2016, 10:30 AM
GarbageMan
Advanced

Originally Posted by LCW
I have a new 991.2. You should keep in mind that once you start the car, it will always start in "normal" mode. It does not remember if you last left it in Sport mode, therefore you need to put it in Sport mode (if that is what you prefer) every time you start it. When you select Sport mode, the Auto Start Stop function is automatically disabled.... just one button, or dial turn, to press... not the end of the world in my opinion....

I'm with you, and understand. Much of the time I will drive in sport. That said, I have a 2014 M5 as my current toy (It isn't, nor will the TTS be my primary) Many times in the a.m., after buying coffee, I'm driving like a grandfather for awhile (while I'm drinking). If the Porsche "Sport" is anything like the BMW, then the car holds gears longer and runs up the RPMs unless one "feathers" the throttle. In other words, I want calmness many times without having to trick the car. Having said all of this, much of my angst is from not being able (at least as the dealer tells me now) keep it defaulted to "off" as my M5 allows. The "krauts" are trying to force me to save the world...
Old 05-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GarbageMan
I have a '17 Turbo S on order and we are discussing this issue in that forum. I was told it is being debated on this one as well. I'm considering pulling my order if it can't be "coded" as default "off". This is silliness. To have it foisted upon me by Liberal Euros when I'm buying a $200k+ car is absurd. What if I don't want to save gas or the world; what if I don't want premature engine wear; what if I'm a Redneck-Right-Wing-Texan who just wants a nice sports car without "nannies"?
The recent wild fire in Alberta Canada probably created more global pollution than all the Porsches of history and the future. Incremental intervention by politicians will never match the destructive forces of Mother Nature. Just think what a few Icelandic volcanoes can do....
Old 05-10-2016, 10:35 AM
GarbageMan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Key Left
The recent wild fire in Alberta Canada probably created more global pollution than all the Porsches of history and the future. Incremental intervention by politicians will never match the destructive forces of Mother Nature. Just think what a few Icelandic volcanoes can do....

Amen.

Quick Reply: Make auto stop/start off by default?