Sponsored by:

991 C2 vs c4 compared in Gt porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 PM
casaforte9
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 991 C2 vs c4 compared in Gt porsche

I just got the ipad version of GT Pure porsche and they compared carerra rwd vs carerra awd on the same public roads, no track work

The rwd 991 had Pasm, ptv and awd had std suspension and both with 3.4 engine guise

Interesting read and the bottom line is they preferred awd C4 over C2 for road driving as it gave them more smiles and more useable handling than the C2 due to it being more predictable with enhanced grip/handling

I recommend it esp for folks debating between c2 and c4
Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 152 Posts

C2 verses C4 is a personal choice. I drove both, with PDK and 7mt, before buying my C2S w/7mt and liked the way the C2 steering felt over the C4. And, I was coming from 60k miles in an Audi S5 Quatro
Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 PM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same experience. The 4s didn't behave the way I expected a 911 to. The 2s just felt more lively, communicative and fun. I live in California so winter is not an issue. Even in the dry, some reviewers prefer the 4, but the car didn't communicate with me as much as I would like. However, the 4 may have so much grip that there is simply less to communicate. That doesn't make it more fun.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM
m33porsche
Intermediate

Love the light bar but weight is the enemy

m33
Old 01-13-2014, 05:03 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by parkerfe
C2 verses C4 is a personal choice. I drove both, with PDK and 7mt, before buying my C2S w/7mt and liked the way the C2 steering felt over the C4. And, I was coming from 60k miles in an Audi S5 Quatro
Funny how everybody has a different take on feel and steering...I actually got my C4S because the steering had more feedback when driving hard...and since reading many reviews it's attributed to more weight over the front axle...never drove the non s models to compare...also the C4S is a lot more planted to the road and gives more confidence when driving hard..
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 314 Likes on 189 Posts

I am convinced that Sport PASM has the best feel, with RWD or AWD.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

But the spoiler only extends above 75mph, so you can surmise that the aerodynamic benefits of the SPASM package (front lip, spoiler angle) are meaningless below that speed. Can you feel a 10mm drop over a regular S in normal road driving? Maybe, but it's almost like the difference between new tires and worn tires.

If you are never going to go on a track, I think most people would be perfectly happy without SPASM. In the recent Motor Trend review, the C4S that won didn't have SPASM either.

I think the genius is that Porsche can make us pay for the option and it's not standard...

Andy
Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 AM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

SPASM has not just a 1cm drop, but also different roll bar, stiffer springs and other settings that can easily change the feel of a car. To me, SPASM without PDCC made the 2s feel much more like a 997 in terms of feedback.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 314 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
But the spoiler only extends above 75mph, so you can surmise that the aerodynamic benefits of the SPASM package (front lip, spoiler angle) are meaningless below that speed. Can you feel a 10mm drop over a regular S in normal road driving? Maybe, but it's almost like the difference between new tires and worn tires.

If you are never going to go on a track, I think most people would be perfectly happy without SPASM. In the recent Motor Trend review, the C4S that won didn't have SPASM either.

I think the genius is that Porsche can make us pay for the option and it's not standard...

Andy
You have it quite wrong.

The overall feel (mild stiffer), lowered stance, and handling advantage of the suspension mods (shorter stiffer springs, stiffer roll bar, lower center of gravity due to 10 mm drop) are hugely different than worn tires. The steering feel is noticabley more connected too.

As for road test times at the track, Porsche has published that it is responsible for half of the improvement of lap time around the 'Ring in the 991 S (the other half being PDCC) over prior S lap times. For Motor Trend Road tests, the critical option is Randy Pobst.

But I agree with you. If you don't care about a particular option or variant or cant tell them apart, it would be total waste of your money.

Quick Reply: 991 C2 vs c4 compared in Gt porsche