New 991 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

[QUOTE=Nicoli35;11027367]
Originally Posted by chuckbdc

There is just nothing like this Targa, if it will operate in a really sexy way, omg Bessy is my first ever P-car bought new (well, 88 miles demo) and the depreciation hit definitely takes some wind out of that sail, hehe. Anyway..thanks for the mention of Bessy, I still don't have her back from the engine thingy, hopefully in the next few days...
And I keep thinking there is nothing like the 991 Cab! Its a coupe when the top is up and a true roadster when its down. No compromise- the most elegant solution Porsche has had.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Onad
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing I am disappointed about is what appears to be a convertible-like canvas roof. I was hoping for a glass roof--or at least a body colored top.

I'm looking forward to getting all the details about this new Targa. And I'm surprised that so close to the release we haven't seen undisguised photos yet. Finally, I like what appears to be the old school targa script under the tape on the side pillar. This is going to be an interesting car.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,107 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Onad
The only thing I am disappointed about is what appears to be a convertible-like canvas roof. I was hoping for a glass roof--or at least a body colored top.

I'm looking forward to getting all the details about this new Targa. And I'm surprised that so close to the release we haven't seen undisguised photos yet. Finally, I like what appears to be the old school targa script under the tape on the side pillar. This is going to be an interesting car.
Agreed. If it isn't wrap around glass and at least body colored top, I think it hurts it a lot. I assume it's still camo.
Of course, if they only import 200, I most likely won't be getting one
Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't care for the real pictures but love the concept Nicoli posted.

Maybe it's the big Fuchs.

I dunno. There will always be a customer for something in between two others.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Onad
Rennlist Member

The Porsche Targa teaser trailer suggests the roof might be glass after all. Still, hard to believe based on the spy photos.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Onad
The Porsche Targa teaser trailer suggests the roof might be glass after all. Still, hard to believe based on the spy photos.
In my humble opinion the teaser just says it's going to be an amazing roof. I don't get that it'll be glass - perhaps you're taking the imagery too literally.

I'm guessing the roof section itself will have to fold to fit under the rear glass, so I can't imagine a full glass roof.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:25 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll get some pics next week.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Onad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthboy
In my humble opinion the teaser just says it's going to be an amazing roof. I don't get that it'll be glass - perhaps you're taking the imagery too literally.

I'm guessing the roof section itself will have to fold to fit under the rear glass, so I can't imagine a full glass roof.
You're probably right on me taking the imagery too literally. Having said that, there is a lot of moving glass in that video with the statement, “if you’re going to have a roof over your head, make it an amazing one.” I'm not sure a canvas top qualifies as "amazing," but the "amazing" part could be a reference to the engineering.

Notwithstanding the initial dealer leak, Porsche has done a good job of holding back details on this car prior to its official debut. A tough thing to do in the internet era.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
I don't get that it'll be glass...I'm guessing the roof section itself will have to fold to fit under the rear glass, so I can't imagine a full glass roof.
Because of its uneven convex shape (seen better in the prototype photos attached), I don't think it could be made effectively with glass. As to whether it folds or not, we will soon find out. My guess is that the Targa roof itself stays intact and doesn't fold on itself. It is transported to its rest location behind the rear seats by mechanical levers, but it doesn't 'fold'. Think of it as the TOP part of the current 991 cabrio, which also doesn't 'fold' as its transported to its down position (see last photo sequence below).

Saludos,
Eduardo

Attached Images             
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

We just got our first allocation for a Targa S (991 520) for a July build...hopefully we will get a few more than the one.....
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

@Sonnen Porsche is PTS available on the Targa allocation you received?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Onad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z356
Because of its uneven convex shape (seen better in the prototype photos attached), I don't think it could be made effectively with glass. As to whether it folds or not, we will soon find out. My guess is that the Targa roof itself stays intact and doesn't fold on itself. It is transported to its rest location behind the rear seats by mechanical levers, but it doesn't 'fold'. Think of it as the TOP part of the current 991 cabrio, which also doesn't 'fold' as its transported to its down position (see last photo sequence below).

Saludos,
Eduardo

Eduardo- Nice catch (as always). Based on the photos, it certainly looks like the top section of the cabrio-roof is fitted to the Targa. From my perspective, that's too bad, because I love all the light that is let into the cabin in the glass-topped Targas (993-997). And while my last two Porsches have been convertibles, I'm always a bit dissatisfied with the look of the canvas top-- as well as how they wear in certain locations. In any event, I'm looking forward to seeing the roof mechanism in action.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no reason why the top can't be made in clear polycarbonate .. but unlikely as it could get too hot in sunny countries.

really looking forward to seeing 991 Targa.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 234 Posts

I'll be at the show on January 18th to see it in person. Can't wait!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Because of its uneven convex shape (seen better in the prototype photos attached), I don't think it could be made effectively with glass.
The Peugeot RCZ does have, aherm, 'rumpish fenestration' at it's rear.. But making such a shape foldable does seem challenging indeed.

Quick Reply: New 991 Targa