Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 LMP1 turbo flat four engine into the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Default 2014 LMP1 turbo flat four engine into the 991?

The word is the 919 (I think that is what Porsche is calling their new LMP1 car) will run a turbo charged flat four.

And Porsche being Porsche they always seem to find a "street" use for these competition engines. I am thinking this turbo four will become the 991 base model motor. It too prestigious to just stick it into the Boxster/Cayman or the rumored new entry level car.

What do you think?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:14 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No, I don't think so, at least not in the 991. Maybe in the 2023 911 whatever that will be...
Old 12-21-2013, 05:35 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I think the LMP car has more than a four cylinder turbo- it is a state of the art hybrid.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
The word is the 919...will run a turbo charged flat four. And Porsche being Porsche they always seem to find a "street" use for these competition engines. I am thinking this turbo four will become the 991 base model motor. It too prestigious to just stick it into the Boxster/Cayman or the rumored new entry level car. What do you think?
What do I think? 960, 960, 960, 960, 960, 960, 960, 960, 960, 960, 960, 960....

Forget the 991. Think 960! That is where Porsche is going with all of this. The FeFi. The Ferrari Fighter is coming in a mid-engine platform, not the old 911 rear-engine one.

"What we do know is that the 919 is running a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine — half of what other cars in the series use, including the lesser, sports car-based GT series — and a new hybrid drivetrain to boost power and efficiency. That’s in keeping with new regulations set by the governing body of Le Mans to increase fuel economy, reduce emissions, and retain energy that would be lost through braking and thermal events. And other teams racing in the top-spec LMP1 (Le Mans Prototype 1) class are sure to follow suit."

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/12...rid-unveiling/

"Featuring four turbochargers, two intercoolers, four adjustable camshafts, a complex multistage intake manifold, and dual-stage exhaust, the 3.9-liter engine is expected to deliver 650 hp. It will be mounted low in the middle of the car, connecting to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic. The 960 relies on an aluminum-intensive architecture supported by steel, carbon fiber, magnesium, titanium, and other composite elements to keep weight to about 3000 pounds. Porsche is resisting high-tech, heavy add-ons such as the 918's electric motors. All-wheel drive made the cut and adds close to 200 pounds but earns its keep by getting the power to the ground -- 0 to 60 mph allegedly takes only 2.5 seconds."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...#ixzz2o9WMiUZc

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Link to my 918 test drive:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...st-2013-a.html
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2013, 07:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

We're long past the old days where a race engine could simply be down-tuned for street use. Racing today is an intensely technical challenge of regulations. LeMans has regulations heavily slanted to efficiency. That to me sounds great for Porsche, as they're great at figuring out how to get the most within the rules, and have already taken home the efficiency prizes even way back before it was such a big deal. But it also means the technology used is heavily hybrid. I rather doubt we'll be seeing a 4 cylinder 2 liter in a 911- unless its a hybrid. More likely Eduardo is right and they'll use it in an entirely new model.
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mis...rnational.aspx

Last edited by chuck911; 12-21-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: video link
Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I want the 960 to get the na v8 from the 918 without the hybrid crap. Doubtful I know but I would be a buyer then. Not sure I am if they stick a turbo flat six in it. Definitely not if it's a turbo 4. Slightly detuned to deliver 550 hp in 3k pounds they will really have a true fefi and mcfi (mclaren fighter?) with that glorious V8.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,444 Posts

All I have read says the 960 is going to have a flat 8 turbo. But I could see how the flat four turbo in combination with some electric motors could work but then it would be too similar to the 918.

I really think the 919 flat four turbo is going to wind up in a more common Porsche road car. Maybe it will be the Boxster/Cayman.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default There are dark clouds rising over Europe...Cycle 6 clouds!

All I have read says the 960 is going to have a flat 8 turbo.
As the article I quoted mentioned (by a usually very knowledgeable Georg Kacher), the 960 is going to have a boxer eight! It would be sweet that it would sport that glorious 4.6 Liter v8 from the 918 (sans electric motors & weighty batteries), but that is not presently in the cards! And it might never be...see the discussion of the stricter Euro Cycle 6 emissions regulations below!

But I could see how the flat four turbo in combination with some electric motors could work but then it would be too similar to the 918. I really think the 919 flat four turbo is going to wind up in a more common Porsche road car. Maybe it will be the Boxster/Cayman.
My vote would be to put a version of that engine in a future Boxster/Cayman platform!

It will be interesting to see the engine they put on the next generation 911. Frankly, all is up in the air right now! Over at the 991 gt3 forum, we are hearing reports that neither the current 991 gt3 nor the yet-to-be-released 991 gt3 RS will meet the stricter Euro Cycle 6 emissions standards* for petrol engines to go into effect in the EU on September 2014! That is just 8/9 months away. That might be the end of the normally aspirated 991 gt3 engine for now! That is why most of us think that Porsche and other performance auto manufacturers will be forced into turbos - thus the rumor 960's boxer eight with four turbochargers, two intercoolers, four adjustable camshafts, a complex multistage intake manifold, and dual-stage exhaust! And that is probably why you are suggesting that a version of this 919's flat four turbo will end up in a production Porsche (e.g. Cayman or Boxster). We have not yet a definite idea of what Porsche has planned to offer us in the next 911...but expect turbos in any high performance engine models!

The crisis of the Euro Cycle 6 emissions is the next dark storm in the horizon. How Porsche deals with it and still provide us with performance vehicles that are true to its traditions will be a test. But I am afraid we are seeing the last of two older technologies (that I love) in the near future at Porsche - the manual transmission and the naturally aspirated high performance engines! Turbos and PDK are in all of our futures...not necessarily because we want them, but because that is the only way the engineers will be able to meet both European emissions in the short run and (later) the incredibly thrifty US fuel consumption requirements that are mandated in the not-so-distant future in our own country!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

*The rumor is that Porsche will rush all 991 gt3 and 991 RS production to completion in the next 8 months, in order to beat the penalties imposed on Porsche & these models if they don't meet Euro Cycle 6 emissions. But that means no 991 gt3 or RS after September 2014!

Quick Reply: 2014 LMP1 turbo flat four engine into the 991?