Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Felt a big difference between a MT and PDK 2014 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014 | 11:23 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bacura
PDK fanboy? Serious? I guess I know who to put on ignore.

lol. I was making light of neanicu's use of the word throughout his post.
Old 02-03-2014 | 11:37 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Maybe it wasn't expressed properly. If I'm cruising along the highway in 5th and eventually need more power I can downshift to the gear I want, like 2nd if I need to pass someone.

With the paddles you have to shift sequentially
With PDK you pull on the downshift paddle 3 times and it goes from 5th to 2nd. Takes less than a second.
Old 02-03-2014 | 11:46 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Maybe it wasn't expressed properly. If I'm cruising along the highway in 5th and eventually need more power I can downshift to the gear I want, like 2nd if I need to pass someone.

With the paddles you have to shift sequentially
When I am cruising in 7th on the freeway, PDK will shift down to 3rd if I floor it.

Also, it will drop 2 gears it you just tap on the gas.
Old 02-03-2014 | 11:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

The 991 Porsche is a great 911! I love the looks,sound,technology and its versatility. I really do not have any complaints,but I guess the most important aspect in my way of thinking is the satisfaction it offers when driving what remains to this day-one of the best sportscars.
The transmission choice is a matter of preference and I do not want to waste energy trying to justify or influence one's opinion.
Drive what you please and never look back!
Even if the Manual transmission is old technology and won't be offered in the future,I'll have no regrets,it really won't influence my life to the point I have to " sharpen my knife " against people from the Internet. It's silly...

Good luck and make the best choice for your needs!

Old 02-04-2014 | 04:07 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

For me and a lot of other people the driving engagement and added control are the reasons for buying a sports car and whatever other advances they make won't make up for that.
Except that there is LESS driving engagement wit MT, and LESS control !

With MT you are more engaged in shifting, less engaged in driving. Being in control means being able to steer, brake, and throttle at will. With MT you have to declutch longer than PDK (engine disconnected from the wheels, so out of control), leaving you out of control for longer !
Also at that time due to body movement you lose optimal connection with the car, hampering your control, feel and feedback from the chassis.

MT can give people the FUN of shifting, the FUN of heel & toe. And I get that. If you are still into that, it is THE best reason in the world to get MT. A perfect choice. But NOT for driving engagement, NOT for control.

So Neanicu is right, everyone should test both, and decide for themselves.
Old 02-04-2014 | 04:21 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

If you're unsure get the MT. Unless you spend most of your driving in stop and go you'll regret not getting the fun that comes with the MT. After all, you're buying a high end sports car, not a luxury sedan. There is an intangible enjoyment that comes from shifting, skipping gears, and revving the engine yourself.

Even if you're feeling lazy that day the shifting becomes a part of you and you don't even think about it if you're mind is elsewhere. The only time the MT can be difficult is if you're stuck in stop and go for a long period of time. I think the fun of driving the MT when you're not in traffic far outweighs the downside.
It is not only lazyness and citydriving why people choose a PDK. Some have been manually shifting, H&T'ing their whole life. Have been there, done that, do it naturally without thinking or blinking an eye. Therefor have lost interest/enjoyment into doing so and looking for the next level of control and involvement. That's what the PDK brings to the table for them !
Old 02-04-2014 | 09:54 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

These threads are just as retarded as political threads... nobody will ever convince the other side. I love both transmissions, and if I'd still lived in Germany I would have bought the 911 with the PDK, but since I live in the US now I bought it with the 7MT. Love the PDk on the Autobahn, over here in the US it hardly matters what transmission you have - it's all about the feel.

Also, the number 9 is the best tasting color.
Old 02-04-2014 | 11:14 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Old 5th gear video on the cayman PDK vs Manual

One recent article on the 991 4S

http://www.autotrends.org/2014/02/03...11-carrera-4s/

To Porsche’s credit they haven’t discontinued the manual. There are enough of us out there that prefer to work the transmission and have little interest in auto stick or paddle shifters. Besides, when it comes to shifting, Porsche makes you feel like an expert with its short throw, smooth moving stick. It is the type of manual you wish every manufacturer used, although certainly not at the cost of a Porsche.
Old 02-04-2014 | 11:16 AM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by 991999R
yeah, i think thats how i'm leanin. i haven't had a MT in almost ten years so i had a bit of reluctance. my gut was to go stick but every now and then i meander over to PDK. this car will likely never see the track (then again, who knows) but again, i'm going to wait until i can drive my neighbors 997 and see how it is. i'm assuming it can't be that much more different than the 991
You assume incorrectly. I have owned a 997.1 MT, 997.2 MT and now a 991 MT...there is a big difference in everything about the way the 2 generations drive and that translates as well to the way the cars shift...

Do yourself a favor and try to drive a MT 991... I think you will be amazed. It's just like the vehicle itself, clean,civilized and very modern feeling.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2014 | 12:10 PM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Originally Posted by John's 991
LOL, this is a long running debate with no right answer. You drove them both, buy the one you want to live with for a few years or longer.

For me, the PDK was an easy choice. It makes it pleasant to drive in traffic, I can talk on the phone hands free, which I do frequently for work (I do have to still pay for the car), and when I get to the track, I put the car in Sports Plus and it shifts great. I leave it in automatic, but most tracks have 2-3 corners where I downshift manually to be in the right gear for full acceleration on the way out.

I have owned manual cars and have an older manual race car, and have no problems shifting, heel-and-toeing, etc. However, I would never buy another manual if a double-clutch or equivalent was available. They are fantastic.
What he said !!
Old 02-04-2014 | 12:36 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Do yourself a favor and try to drive a MT 991... I think you will be amazed. It's just like the vehicle itself, clean,civilized and very modern feeling.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 02-04-2014 | 12:54 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm sure many of the PDK owners who came out of MT 911s, like myself, never drive the thing in automatic mode ... I start the car, put it in manual, put it in Sport or Sport Plus and shift it just like I would any MT car. I just don't need to use my left foot to do it. Crack off a few lightning fast downshifts and upshifts and you come to understand why they are phasing the clutch pedal out.

The only time my car is ever in auto mode is in a traffic jam or stuck at the drive-through.

If you want the MT, by all means, get it. But don't equate the PDK in your head with the Tiptronic or any other automatic transmission. And don't ever drive it in automatic unless you are on the track in Sport Plus mode.
Old 02-04-2014 | 01:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

FWIW,although some here think I'm talking out of my a*s,my comments came after having driven PDK quite a few times. Interesting technology and I personally have no problem with its desirability. I just think the sports car pkg works better for me with a manual transmission. I won't mention other factors that have been discussed numerous times.
I wouldn't mind having a PDK transmission in an SUV,like the Macan or Cayenne,that I DD and would get stuck in traffic quite often with where I live. I would actually prefer PDK to a regular automatic transmission. But in a 911 that I drive for fun,NO WAY-NEVER!!!
Although I agree the 911 is one of the most practical sport cars on the market,as a DD you do have to accept some compromises depending on where you live and your usability : low clearance,small trunk,no back seat room(unless you're 5 years old) etc. So,if you DD it,I can see why you'd prefer PDK,so more power to you.
Old 02-04-2014 | 01:24 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Couldn't agree more.
Thought I'd throw out that there seems to be a bit of an undercurrent in the press/forums that disparage the 7 speed manual in the 991. I don't get it.
I can't say it's THE best, smoothest shifting, perfectly ratio'ed MT I've ever owned, but it's pretty damn good. I'm certainly glad I have it.
Old 02-04-2014 | 01:30 PM
tangram
Racer

Originally Posted by bccars
Except that there is LESS driving engagement wit MT, and LESS control !

With MT you are more engaged in shifting, less engaged in driving. Being in control means being able to steer, brake, and throttle at will. With MT you have to declutch longer than PDK (engine disconnected from the wheels, so out of control), leaving you out of control for longer !
Also at that time due to body movement you lose optimal connection with the car, hampering your control, feel and feedback from the chassis.

MT can give people the FUN of shifting, the FUN of heel & toe. And I get that. If you are still into that, it is THE best reason in the world to get MT. A perfect choice. But NOT for driving engagement, NOT for control.

So Neanicu is right, everyone should test both, and decide for themselves.
Huh? To say that a MT does not provide an as engaging experience as a PDK gearbox is just plain wrong. Driving isn't just about how fast you drive, which is where the PDK has the edge (at least on a track, where most of us spend very little to no time in our P-Cars). And to say that a MT provides less control than a PDK is just plain wrong as well. With a PDK you don't have the ability to modulate the clutch and throttle together as you can in a MT. It's the old analog vs. digital analogy. PDK is an on/off experience whereas the MT provides a range of possibilities. I wasn't going to chime in but I just couldn't help myself.

I actually couldn't care less how anybody chooses to spend their hard earned dollars on a sports car. But I do care when inaccurate comments are made.

Quick Reply: Felt a big difference between a MT and PDK 2014 C2S