Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Felt a big difference between a MT and PDK 2014 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014 | 02:06 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Originally Posted by tangram
Huh? To say that a MT does not provide an as engaging experience as a PDK gearbox is just plain wrong. Driving isn't just about how fast you drive, which is where the PDK has the edge (at least on a track, where most of us spend very little to no time in our P-Cars). And to say that a MT provides less control than a PDK is just plain wrong as well. With a PDK you don't have the ability to modulate the clutch and throttle together as you can in a MT. It's the old analog vs. digital analogy. PDK is an on/off experience whereas the MT provides a range of possibilities. I wasn't going to chime in but I just couldn't help myself.

I actually couldn't care less how anybody chooses to spend their hard earned dollars on a sports car. But I do care when inaccurate comments are made.
After reading so many comments about how MT is the equivalent of a manual window (?) or how it's in fact less engaging because it takes more attention (??), I've reached the conclusion that some PDK enthusiasts also probably prefer wearing condoms during sex.

Trojan PDK: Less feeling, better numbers, but so much peace of mind if you're in a forced gang-bang with hookers.

(Technically with PDK you may arrive prematurely, but that's considered a positive in this comparison...)
Old 02-04-2014 | 02:17 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

And so we have yet another (thinly veiled) PDK vs Manual thread...

Does anyone really give a rats rectum as to which is "better"?

Are we really that insecure in our personal choices?
Old 02-04-2014 | 03:06 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by duxsi
And so we have yet another (thinly veiled) PDK vs Manual thread...

Does anyone really give a rats rectum as to which is "better"?

Are we really that insecure in our personal choices?
Indeed these MT v. PDK threads (much like the seemingly endless 911 v. Vette threads) are riddled with insecurity. Just drive what you like.
Old 02-04-2014 | 03:57 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Let's move on...
Old 02-04-2014 | 04:03 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

@mrstep: love that analogy :-)
I don't agree with it, but still love it.
Old 02-04-2014 | 06:50 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vjd3
I'm sure many of the PDK owners who came out of MT 911s, like myself, never drive the thing in automatic mode ... I start the car, put it in manual, put it in Sport or Sport Plus and shift it just like I would any MT car. I just don't need to use my left foot to do it. Crack off a few lightning fast downshifts and upshifts and you come to understand why they are phasing the clutch pedal out.

The only time my car is ever in auto mode is in a traffic jam or stuck at the drive-through.

If you want the MT, by all means, get it. But don't equate the PDK in your head with the Tiptronic or any other automatic transmission. And don't ever drive it in automatic unless you are on the track in Sport Plus mode.
+1 Love the paddles on weekend drives, very fun, but as you said, on the track Sport Plus is the way to go. You will be faster and most find it very engaging as you find yourself concentrating on braking and lines more. Things just happen quicker. You can also control shift points through throttle modulation. Really amazing.
Old 02-04-2014 | 07:12 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Originally Posted by bccars
@mrstep: love that analogy :-)
I don't agree with it, but still love it.
I wanted an analogy that describes my view while also making no sense.

Enjoy whichever you drive, I just dislike the insane comparisons.
Old 02-04-2014 | 10:05 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Indeed these MT v. PDK threads (much like the seemingly endless 911 v. Vette threads) are riddled with insecurity. Just drive what you like.
Amen..
Old 02-05-2014 | 04:52 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrstep
I wanted an analogy that describes my view while also making no sense.

Enjoy whichever you drive, I just dislike the insane comparisons.
You are right ! Neither sides are going to convince each other. It's all wasted energy and irrelevant anyway. The 991 is bloody brilliant in any guise, be it MT, be it PDK, be it C2, be it C4S,... !
Old 02-05-2014 | 09:13 AM
clembo
Instructor

I don't know what is happening at Rennlist, or with Porsche enthusiasts. This has always been a place where we could share opinions, debate, and learn. Now it seems that many topics (MT vs PDK, 911 vs Vette, 997 vs 991 etc...) are just becoming more argumentative and less of a fun debate.

Who cares which is better to everyone, get the one you like best. But really some of these pompous snipes, some of these silly arguments, and some just mean comments. Lighten up.

I buy these cars to enjoy, to escape the arguments and pressures that much of life is filled with. This is an escape for me, and I thought many others, maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry if I offended anyone. If I didn't then you are all invited to my garage on Saturday for BBQ and old fashioned car talk. I'll even let you drive one of my Porsches (if you can drive a MT).
Old 02-05-2014 | 09:44 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by clembo
I don't know what is happening at Rennlist, or with Porsche enthusiasts. This has always been a place where we could share opinions, debate, and learn. Now it seems that many topics (MT vs PDK, 911 vs Vette, 997 vs 991 etc...) are just becoming more argumentative and less of a fun debate. Who cares which is better to everyone, get the one you like best. But really some of these pompous snipes, some of these silly arguments, and some just mean comments. Lighten up. I buy these cars to enjoy, to escape the arguments and pressures that much of life is filled with. This is an escape for me, and I thought many others, maybe I'm wrong. Sorry if I offended anyone. If I didn't then you are all invited to my garage on Saturday for BBQ and old fashioned car talk. I'll even let you drive one of my Porsches (if you can drive a MT).

+1

I'd take you up on that invite if you weren't so far...

Old 02-05-2014 | 09:53 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maverick1
I test drove two 2014 C2'S one with the MT and one with the PDK.
I could not believe the difference in performance.
The PDK equipped car felt lightening fast while the MT car just felt fast.
I've always had MT cars so I'm not sure if I would get bored with a PDK, even though it does offers better acceleration.
I never thought the difference would feel this noticeable.
The stats say 0-60 for MT 4.3sec and PDK 3.9sec.
Tough decision.
When I bought my 2012 C2S w/7mt, I also drove a couple others with PDK and didn't notice any perceivable difference in performance...0.4 seconds is hard to feel seat-of-the-pants. Regardless, I was looking for a DD, so I went with the a 3 pedal car. Now for the GT3 I'm on a list for, I would have got the PDK even if the 7mt would have been an option as PDK is great for the track
Old 02-06-2014 | 01:42 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by parkerfe
When I bought my 2012 C2S w/7mt, I also drove a couple others with PDK and didn't notice any perceivable difference in performance...0.4 seconds is hard to feel seat-of-the-pants. Regardless, I was looking for a DD, so I went with the a 3 pedal car. Now for the GT3 I'm on a list for, I would have got the PDK even if the 7mt would have been an option as PDK is great for the track
Really?? If you're stuck in stop 'n go traffic in a DD commute you prefer 7MT over PDK?
Old 02-06-2014 | 10:06 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fester
Really?? If you're stuck in stop 'n go traffic in a DD commute you prefer 7MT over PDK?
Granted, I rarely have to subject myself to bumper to bumper traffic on my current commute, but 26 out of the 30 cars I have owned have been manual, and the stop and go thing never bothered me when I had to.
Then again, I rarely talk on the phone, read, eat, or put on makeup while I'm driving, I drive.
Old 02-06-2014 | 11:13 PM
MrOutside
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
+1

I'd take you up on that invite if you weren't so far...

ditto that!

Quick Reply: Felt a big difference between a MT and PDK 2014 C2S