Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bccars
That's below the belt :-)
Sorry,just kidding...
Old 12-17-2013 | 12:24 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Here's an idea: I'll drive what I want, when I want.
Speaking of "ideas", I have 2 for you. I wasn't talking to you. And you should ask Santa for a sense of humor. Come on man!
Old 12-17-2013 | 01:09 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
That's a smart move. Just make sure they are 991s and not 991S's. I'm pretty sure those 20% annual appreciation figures are only for the 991. The smaller, lower power 991 requires a lot more manly shifting, which is of course the whole point of driving in the first place. (Remember the MT video where the reviewer is shifting up and down, up and down, all the while going the same speed on a straight road? Now that's driving!) The 991 also avoids things like PASM and PTV that Porsche forces on hapless 991S owners. In fact I would avoid all options, unless of course they make the car louder.
This is very funny Chuck! You should copyright this post and automatically re-post it in every thread...it will be applicable and relevant a high percentage of the time!
Old 12-17-2013 | 01:19 PM
tangram
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Shouldn't drive 'em in the rain.
Or in traffic
Old 12-17-2013 | 01:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by tangram
Or in traffic
Exactly. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2013 | 01:32 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

I have a 991S MT built in May 2012 with sport chrono etc, before the engine rev-matching and all that. Just old school manual fun - on the ultra modern 991 platform. Here's to Porsche for giving us things to debate and fun to be had. Cheers guys, PDK and MT alike.
Old 12-18-2013 | 12:03 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Default Driver Input

Believe it or not the transmissions are the same - ratios the same. The difference is that with the PDK you're getting perfect 100 millisecond shifts and bringing it right to the redline without hitting it. I have a 2014 C2S manual with Sport Chrono - I can't humanly shift it as fast as the transmission could allow me to, or right before the redline, every time, in every gear.

But that's OK. I drive the car on the street - I'm not looking to go into hyperspace or drag race someone, or drive at 10/10ths on the street. At some point we won't be able to have manuals, however the PDK software and ratios that are in the GT3 will someday make there way down to the regular Carreras and when they do, I'll be just fine. For now, I just want as much control as I can get because for me personally, that translates into more fun which is what its all about brothers and sisters.
Old 12-18-2013 | 01:32 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

EXACTLY. Thank-you dear lord! After having had 2 911's with MT I have more fun with my 2 PDK 911's. And guess what?.....with 2 hands on the wheel at all times I actually think I have more control as well. I feel much better now. Can I still be your brother? Thank the dear lord that there are crappy drivers like myself who can take advantage of that PDK.
Old 12-18-2013 | 10:29 PM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

I LOVE the title of this post:

"Felt a big difference between a MT and PDK 2014 C2S"

I couldn't agree more... The MT is SO MUCH better!!!!
Old 12-19-2013 | 12:00 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

In 2012 when I leased my B8 S4, I was lured into the virtues of quick shifting and launch control. My subconscience kept telling me I'm going to hate it, but the numbers just couldn't lie. The DSG (or POS as I like to refer to it) has tainted my desire for an automated manual. Now I know Audi's attempt at a double clutch, quick shifting transmission is no where near as good as BMW's DCT or the PDK, but I'm still permanantely scared. I hate it. I'm not a terribly skilled driver, but I hate pushing a button to shift gears and dealing with the inevitable software bugs that plagues everyone of these gear boxes. I've decided I'm buying slower manuals for as long as I am able. For me, there is nothing better than having the ability to blip the throttle whenever I want. I have 12 painful more months with this numb feeling S4. I can't wait to hand the keys back to Audi. By the way, Audi is doing everything possible to ensure car entusiasts don't own their cars. I'm done with them. I'm starting to feel the pull toward DCT in the F80 M3 that will replace it. Must....buy MT....but the zero to 60 is faster....NOOOO! I hate you math.
Old 12-19-2013 | 12:12 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Software bugs in all. Lol. Had my 997.2S with PDK for almost 5 years with no bugs at all. Have my second Jetta GLi with DSG and no bugs at all. I did however have MT 911 that needed a new flywheel after 40k km. Plus, I'm a math genius so PDK works for me.
Old 12-19-2013 | 05:37 PM
SkandoSchwabe
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
That's a smart move. Just make sure they are 991s and not 991S's. I'm pretty sure those 20% annual appreciation figures are only for the 991. The smaller, lower power 991 requires a lot more manly shifting, which is of course the whole point of driving in the first place. (Remember the MT video where the reviewer is shifting up and down, up and down, all the while going the same speed on a straight road? Now that's driving!) The 991 also avoids things like PASM and PTV that Porsche forces on hapless 991S owners. In fact I would avoid all options, unless of course they make the car louder.
This is brilliant sarcasm, thank you.
I have been a MT driver all my life until I got a C4S with PDK this year. To me the benefit of a MT is that it shifts when you want it to. The PDK paddles do just that. Fast. Reliable. With perfect rev matching. I'm not getting much satisfaction from pressing/releasing a clutch pedal and moving a stick around. I do miss the driver involvement of operating a manual window crank, especially on the passenger side
Old 12-19-2013 | 05:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SkandoSchwabe
This is brilliant sarcasm, thank you. I have been a MT driver all my life until I got a C4S with PDK this year. To me the benefit of a MT is that it shifts when you want it to. The PDK paddles do just that. Fast. Reliable. With perfect rev matching. I'm not getting much satisfaction from pressing/releasing a clutch pedal and moving a stick around. I do miss the driver involvement of operating a manual window crank, especially on the passenger side
Weak...
You forgot hand cranking,carburetors etc. ooh...almost forgot...if you're from Europe,you prefer PDK because you've been driving Manual economy boxes your entire life...
It's getting more and more pathetic...
Old 12-19-2013 | 11:14 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Originally Posted by Money2536
In 2012 when I leased my B8 S4.... Now I know Audi's attempt at a double clutch, quick shifting transmission is no where near as good as BMW's DCT or the PDK, but I'm still permanantely scared. I hate it. ...
Wow. My wife has a 2013 S4 with DCT and I really like it for the type of car it is. We always, always both drive it in sport mode, then it's lots of fun. I like the blips it does and it always seems ready to play. I think the Porsche PDK is better, but only by a bit. In the S4 I'm spoilt by the low-mid range torque. I'm sure once the 991 revs a bit more it's quicker, but for regular street driving the S4 can dive into a gap or overtake much faster and is much more stealthy than a 991. In the S4 I never really feel the need to use the paddles (likely because of the torque), but in the 991, I find myself using the paddles a lot, even in sport mode, just to keep the revs up above 3,000.

Quick Reply: Felt a big difference between a MT and PDK 2014 C2S