Sponsored by:

991 C4S new owner first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:48 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 C4S new owner first impressions

Just picked up a 2013 C4S PDK. It was a beautiful car and the deal was really good, so I took the plunge. It's great to be 'back in a 911' again.

First impressions:

The (Bi-Xenon) high beams are amazing, its like driving into a tunnel of light.
SPASM has plenty of ground clearance, the ride height is just fine.
The BOSE system is just fine, I use USB music or XM, and both sound good enough to me.
I love the quality and graphics of the drivers information display.
The back seats are a big hit with the kids, both our regular Reccarro car seats and some Cosco boosters fit just fine. Despite the tight leg room, both kids are happy, I think because they can see so much out the front and side.
The exhaust and engine sound awesome, although a bit 'rough' sounding between 2,000 and 3,000rpm (not broken in yet though).
The PDK coasting function works really well, to the point where I don't want to turn it off (not so sure I like the auto start/stop however).
The PDK, with normal, sport and sport+ modes is a big improvement over a Nissan GTR's dual clutch setup. It's almost silent, the 3 modes are all useful and it seems much faster in regular driving, or when skipping multiple gears.
Lease with 73% residual after 2 years, 10%+ off MSRP combined with 2.5K conquest cash meant a deal I could not pass up.
My car is red and it had 'interior package painted' and 'center control trim painted', which I was worried about, but in person it looks great. Just enough splash of color to brighten up the inside and not look tacky.
I love the super bright LED DRL's.
Without being able to really push the car until it's broken in, the AWD feels great, the car can dance, slide and grip really well.

Minor grumbles:

The heater is noisy, even on the soft setting.
I don't like having a separate passenger and driver temperature control, it would be nice to have a 'sync' mode.
The key is an annoying shape to turn, keyless entry should be standard at this price.
The heated seats are not very hot at all.
It takes a very long time to warm up the oil - about 5 miles of regular driving before I hit ~150F.
There is a lot of vibration you can feel through the gas pedal (and other surfaces of the car) - although I think this gives you a closer connection to the car.
Not having a reversing camera at this price point is unforgivable.
Break-in for 2,000 miles is too long, I'm going to give it 500, then drive it like I stole it.
The one design detail I'm not so hot on is the black plastic large 'hole' under the front license plate, on cars without the sport kit radiator there, this looks cheap and unfinished.

Andy
Old 11-30-2013, 02:53 AM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

- You can hold down AUTO to sync the two sides. (MONO setting)
- I thought my C2S coupe didn't come with keyless, but it turns out Porsche doesn't install the dummy key by default. You sure you don't have that option? (comes with the premium pack, which includes bose, power/memory seats/etc)
- surprised about the seat heaters, mine roast me. (I never use them at full power)
- Large plastic hole? Do you have radar cruise?

I just picked up a C4S cab to replace my C2S. agree with many of your comments.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
- You can hold down AUTO to sync the two sides. (MONO setting)
Thanks, I've been trying to figure that out
Old 11-30-2013, 09:52 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

You can drive it like you stole it from day one. With three gallons of oil to heat yes it does take a while. You found interior package painted at Barrier? That in itself is an accomplishment. Congratulations. Pictures?
Old 11-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Well done Andy & thanks for the great overview!

Steve
Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Would love to see interior pictures
Old 11-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats..would love to see some pics
Old 11-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Gcracker07110
Rennlist Member

Congrats! I still have 12 weeks to delivery same car C4s but stick
Old 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
There is a lot of vibration you can feel through the gas pedal (and other surfaces of the car) - although I think this gives you a closer connection to the car.
The vibration is noticeable in my 981BS as well. It's actually present in the entire pedal box area, not just the gas pedal, but the lack of dampening material and the unusually stiff throttle return spring make it much more apparent in the gas pedal. There are actually two nested springs in the 981/991 pedal assembly, and I removed the inner one from mine. Every time I drive the car I'm glad I did that.

The one design detail I'm not so hot on is the black plastic large 'hole' under the front license plate, on cars without the sport kit radiator there, this looks cheap and unfinished.
It doesn't look like Zunsport has grilles for the 991 yet, which is a shame. They look great on the Boxster and Cayman.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Here is a picture of the interior. And here were the options:

031 - Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) with PASM sport suspension
176 - Sport Exhaust System
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
640 - Sport Chrono Package
651 - Electric sunroof
840 - SportDesign steering wheel
AJ - Black leather front seats
CAS - Model designation on doors in Black
G1 - Guards Red
P07 - Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
P37 - BOSE® Audio Package
P3B - Premium Package with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
UN1 - Online Services
XDM - Dashboard trim strip painted
XRT - 20-inch SportTechno wheel
XSC - Porsche Crest on headrests
XSX - Seat belts in Guards Red
XYG - Center console trim painted
ZAB - Ornamental Porsche Crest

I didn't set out to get a car with PDCC, but that was what was available. So far it's hard to tell, although in Sport Plus mode it does seem to corner really hard. Without driving cars back to back its not something I notice.

The other lesson I learnt was about 'MRM' - which is the maximum price Porsche will allow for a lease. Anything above this price and you pay every dollar of the options - instead of only ~27% of the value. The MRM's are set pretty low I think, it's basically ~$20K of options - which gets eaten up pretty quickly. The options list above doesn't include the full leather, Premium Plus package, or glass sunroof, which I would have liked, but was already about $1,500 over the MRM maximum.

Andy
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2013, 07:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

The Guards Red interior accents look good.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:20 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks great!! Red seat belts too?
Old 12-01-2013, 02:54 AM
yonkers
Intermediate

Interior looks great. Well optioned.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:30 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

ya got a great car there.

But I'm gonna have to voice my opinion on the red interior. I don't like it. As long as you do, thats what matters.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:40 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
Here is a picture of the interior. And here were the options:

031 - Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) with PASM sport suspension
176 - Sport Exhaust System
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
640 - Sport Chrono Package
651 - Electric sunroof
840 - SportDesign steering wheel
AJ - Black leather front seats
CAS - Model designation on doors in Black
G1 - Guards Red
P07 - Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
P37 - BOSE® Audio Package
P3B - Premium Package with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus
UN1 - Online Services
XDM - Dashboard trim strip painted
XRT - 20-inch SportTechno wheel
XSC - Porsche Crest on headrests
XSX - Seat belts in Guards Red
XYG - Center console trim painted
ZAB - Ornamental Porsche Crest

I didn't set out to get a car with PDCC, but that was what was available. So far it's hard to tell, although in Sport Plus mode it does seem to corner really hard. Without driving cars back to back its not something I notice.

The other lesson I learnt was about 'MRM' - which is the maximum price Porsche will allow for a lease. Anything above this price and you pay every dollar of the options - instead of only ~27% of the value. The MRM's are set pretty low I think, it's basically ~$20K of options - which gets eaten up pretty quickly. The options list above doesn't include the full leather, Premium Plus package, or glass sunroof, which I would have liked, but was already about $1,500 over the MRM maximum.

Andy
You did get the premium plus package based on your list above: P3B- Premium Package with Adaptive Sport Seats Plus. This is the premium plus package which is included in the Adaptive Seat configuration.
So you do have the Entry and drive. You will will to insert the fake key to avoid using the key to start the car. Also you can validate you have it by just having the key in your pocket and grab the door handle. You should be able to open the door without hitting the unlock button on the key.
This is a very nice car you purchased. If you get tired of the red interior you can easily change it back to the aluminum look by getting the original trim.

Quick Reply: 991 C4S new owner first impressions