Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longevity of 991S Cars - Mileage & Time

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 02:45 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I would be shocked if the average 991 longevity came in under 200K or so, assuming properly taken care of. Its a shame the market value is so harshly severe on mileage with these cars. Its as if everyone wants a used 911 that's only sat in a garage with a tank full of stale gas and dry rotted tires and a trickle charger and was only started for 5 mile drives one Sunday a month. IMO top tier German engineered cars aren't even fully broken in until 50K or so.

While its maybe fair to say the jury is still out on the PDK, its been around now long enough to have revealed any foundational QC/engineering flaws WRT longevity. IOW, it appears to be a trans that will go the distance compared to any other automatic out there. The engine should also easily last 200K or so, on average. Yes some will brick much sooner, while many years from now we will read about someone's half million miler, but it should be good for a quarter mil or so on average. 996 engine seal type issues not withstanding *fingers crossed*

Of course by then you will have to replace other things like shocks here, an alternator there, water pump, etc. One thing I'm interested in is the recommended service interval versus what you should really do.

Obviously synthetic oil can last a year under average driving conditions without the oil breaking down too much, but is it wise to stick to that schedule long term? I've always worried about the acids and contaminates in the oil and a year/10K miles is a long time to expect a filter to provide protection. And having a lot of German automatic transmission mechanical experience, there is NO WAY I would even consider 100K miles on a single serving of fluid and filter. I will be having that flushed and filled every 40-50K minimum. I've seen way too many normally driven 100K mile trannys (BMW/Mercedes, mostly non M, non AMG, daily driver plane Jane sedans) with sludge and gunked up filters around those fantasy mileage numbers.

Thinking of semi annual oil changes too but haven't decided on that yet. What are others with an eye on keeping their 991's for a very long time doing WRT service intervals?
Old 11-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Car can last as long as you want it to last.

I spent enough time on Honda/Acura boards to see 10 year old cars with ORIGINAL EVERYTHING turning 300-400k miles.
I am sure you do not mean timing belt, spark plugs, pads and rotors...etc, right?
Old 11-29-2013, 02:52 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Exactly. I'd even take it a step farther and challenge other larger components as well. While it may indeed be possible when all the stars align, that is not normal for any manufacturer, ever. Especially since they all source many components like you mentioned from the same third party vendors in the first place. If you're driving a quarter to half million miles on a water pump or alternator, etc, you are extremely, unbelieveably lucky and are rolling the dice big time on getting stranded each and every time you go somewhere. Like that episode on Seinfeld where Kramer and the Saab salesman were seeing how far they could go with the needle on Empty and the low fuel light on just for the rush of it all.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:10 PM
DMA3
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never quite understood the theory, "until a service costs more than the car is worth..." I have a 2000 LR Discovery that I bought with 20K miles on it in 2005, and have driven nearly daily since. It's the color I like, Kent Green, and I have always replaced anything cosmetic that has worn (sun damaged fenders, headliner, sunroof shades, steering wheel, etc), and have all services done on time and repairs done with the best possible parts. I recently had a major repair done to fix leaky gaskets, replace lock actuators that stopped working, etc, that probably cost more than the value of the car itself (130K miles, the car is probably worth around $3 or $4K). But now I have a perfectly running, essentially showroom new Discovery and I see less and less of them every day (and I get compliments on the truck nearly every day, people love that thing.)

So if the engine blows up, do I buy a new crate motor and keep trucking? I feel like I probably will. Does this make be stupid, or nuts?

Note: I know Land Rovers have a horrible service record. Mine has been great to me, and I believe that's because of the care it's been given since the beginning.

Note 2: I'm almost ready for my first 911 at age 37. I can't wait. And yes, I'll definitely keep the old Rover.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:53 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Many different points of view on this. Lots of people ask why is it worth putting say $15k into a new engine when the cars resale value is maybe $20k. I would instead ask if I could buy for $15k another car better than my current car will be with the new engine? Nobody wants the high mileage car, but I think that has more to do with the fact nobody knows what the prior owners did. That doubt simply isn't there when its your own car. So my view is drive it, treasure it, hang onto it.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
I am sure you do not mean timing belt, spark plugs, pads and rotors...etc, right?
Original everything applies to original driveline with no internal work. Timing belt, plugs, rotors are all routine maitenance items. Cracked head requiring new engine, failed gearbox are not original parts. I should have elaborated in the original post.

IE, my personal TL is now at 200k miles. Valve covers were never lifted, transmission was never out of the car. Car runs 1/4 mile faster than factory times for a brand new car for 2003.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:39 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Maybe when Porsche was a tiny boutique company and built air-cooled sports cars in small numbers the cars were over-engineered and built to last.

Now, Porsche has been swallowed whole by VW and the corporation calls the shots. They only care about profit and that the car lasts 3 years/36K miles, or however long your warranty is
Mr.goofballdeluxe: I see you drive a 993...your comments are well justified
Old 12-02-2013, 04:03 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Mr.goofballdeluxe: I see you drive a 993...your comments are well justified
Yes, I do own a 993. It still runs like a top after nearly 18 years and prices for 993 cars like my C4S have appreciated very well over the last few years.

I hope the same for all 991 owners in the future

Quick Reply: Longevity of 991S Cars - Mileage & Time