Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 convertible or C4S Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 252 Posts
Default M6 convertible or C4S Cabriolet?

Hi everyone, i know this is blasphemy on this forum but I thought i would check to see if anyone who's purchased the a 991 Cab contemplated the M6 vert. I know they are different cars but there aren't many others in this segment.

I test drove the C4S cab and its an awesome, tight, car. very refined. but then i went yesterday to drive the M6 vert but they only had the coupe with the comp package. i thought the M6 was exhilarating and beautiful but it was felt big...but still more exciting than the C4S.

so now i'm thinking its almost the same size as my M3 which i need for my family.. so how practical is your CS cab?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 11-03-2013, 11:36 AM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Hi everyone, i know this is blasphemy on this forum but I thought i would check to see if anyone who's purchased the a 991 Cab contemplated the M6 vert. I know they are different cars but there aren't many others in this segment.

I test drove the C4S cab and its an awesome, tight, car. very refined. but then i went yesterday to drive the M6 vert but they only had the coupe with the comp package. i thought the M6 was exhilarating and beautiful but it was felt big...but still more exciting than the C4S.

so now i'm thinking its almost the same size as my M3 which i need for my family.. so how practical is your CS cab?

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff,
I was initially turned off the M6 when it came out as I too found it heavy....it is not as much of a "sports" car as the 991 - it is more of a GT. It does feel heavy but is an excellent daily driver. When I needed to replace my Panamera Turbo, I looked at all of the other options, including the S8, M5 and then the M6 Gran Coupe. After ruling out the others, I drove the M6 GC for a few hours, and then went back to drive the new 2014 Panamera Turbo for an hour or two...I missed the M6 GC. Something about it made me miss it...I felt like I was missing out. The technology, the interior, the luxury, the sound, all added up to a terrific package. The M6 vert is a gorgeous car, and while so many items are options and hard to put together on a Porsche (that is in-stock), with BMW there are fewer options and more packages, so it is easier to find what you want. As well, there are great deals on these cars. Oh, and the free maintenance...I had forgotten about that, and it was a nice surprise.
That being said, I have a 2012.5 991 Carrera S cab, and a 2013 Cayenne Turbo. Amazing cars, and the M6 fits in nicely to our stable. The M6 is what I find myself driving almost every day, as I said, it is a complete package for everyday. If you are getting the M6 or 991 as a weekend car (doesn't sound so), then I would get the C4S but if you need it for more duty than that, get the M6. Let us know!
Jeff
Old 11-03-2013, 12:21 PM
amdave
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm gonna spend $120k plus on a car it just isn't going to be on a BMW. Porsche 911 all the way for me.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:32 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Jeff,

You're a BMW guy right now as you currently own a M3. This is coming from a guy that used to be a test driver for BMW back in the mid 90"s. I have owned M3 and M5.

If the size of the interior isn't enough don't look back and get a new M6.

As far as auto gearbox technology as being your decision maker the PDK is light years ahead of BMW's.

I recently stopped by an old colleagues home with my C2S. He just came out of an M6 and is a BMW guy. He was actually hoping none of his BMW friends would catch him driving my car. Bottom line his mouth was wide open the entire time. He kept pointing out the differences and inefficiencies of the latest BMW 7 speed dual clutch to me as if I didn't know already. And remember you can consider me a BMW guy as well. It's also worthy to remind you that the M6 weighs in at over 2 tons.

Night and day enjoyment when it comes to driving experience. If you need more rear seat leg room get an M5. You won't know you're driving an M5 or M6 from the seating position. Both cars drive and feel exactly the same.

Just my .02 cents.

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
It's also worthy to remind you that the M6 weighs in at over 2 tons.

Just my .02 cents.

Good luck!
Ah, game over.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:43 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Jeff,

As far as auto gearbox technology as being your decision maker the PDK is light years ahead of BMW's.

Good luck!
Very true. I have not kept up with what gearbox is available for the particular model you are looking at, but avoid their DCT. The 8 Speed ZF Auto is a superb box however or the MT if that is what you want or is available on the model you are considering.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:47 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot
Very true. I have not kept up with what gearbox is available for the particular model you are looking at, but avoid their DCT. The 8 Speed ZF Auto is a superb box however or the MT if that is what you want or is available on the model you are considering.
I humbly disagree - I have both PDK and BMW's DCT and find the BMW DCT on the 2014 M6 to be wonderful. PDK is probably best, but I would never call the DCT noticeably inferior. It matches the M cars very well. Worlds better than the older BMW offerings.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:53 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCBH
I humbly disagree - I have both PDK and BMW's DCT and find the BMW DCT on the 2014 M6 to be wonderful. PDK is probably best, but I would never call the DCT noticeably inferior. It matches the M cars very well. Worlds better than the older BMW offerings.
Fair enough.. they may have made it better recently. I drove one of these things a few years ago and it was torture to drive under 40mph in that DCT.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:56 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot
Fair enough.. they may have made it better recently. I drove one of these things a few years ago and it was torture to drive under 40mph in that DCT.
I think you would be pleasantly surprised! Very nicely-matched - and I agree, huge improvements over their previous generations. Like PDK, when in auto mode, feels like a conventional auto - so smooth at all speeds.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

For the record the latest DCT in the M Series is much better than before. You would need to drive the latest to see how far they have come from SMG, etc.

I probably shouldn't have assumed the OP was was driving DCT cars or manual. BMW's manual for the new M6 finally has our Sport Chrono rev match shift technology for the M5 and 6.

The new DCT on the BMW...it's a fine gearbox don't get me wrong. It's just not a PDK.

You mentioned you compared a C4S to an driving an M6 Comp package. That car has 575 hp and 500 ft. of torque. I have too driven it and it is exhilarating like you say. It's all of that torque at a low RPM that you feel in your seat.

If you threw the price out the window you should really compare the M6 Comp package with a 2014 Turbo S since the power is similar!

Happy hunting!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

ha thanks for the input guys. i've been eyeing the new turbo cab..but that just puts you into ferrari / lamborghini territory...and then its a whole other dilemma...one which i'm going to stay away from.

but i do need the car to be able to do occassional weekends sports duty, shuttling one of my kids back and forth. the C4S is much more of a two seater than the M6.

as far as the tranny goes, i agree with the posts above. the new bmw gearbox is great, the PDK is better but i wouldn't say its material..its smoother for sure.

i had a cayman S for a while, and noodled around different 911s over the years but i had car seat concerns and the BMWs always worked out better. but now my oldest can sit in the front seat and it puts P cars back into the mix.

and like you said earlier, its so much easier to find in stock BMWs.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming!

Jeff
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Sounds good Jeff!

Yea, throw all this BS talk out the window and pick up a 2,000 mile slightly used 430 Scud!

Good topic and don't worry about the blasphemy talk. It's all good here. Of course if you have this talk over on the BMW boards you are going to get the complete opposite in opinions! lol.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:48 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

actually i think they all vote for the C4S

But now I'm thinking maybe I trade the X5M and get the M5 or M6 gran coupe and get the C4S...

hahahaha, crazy...
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Had a 2013 M3 Limerock DCT.......

Slow speeds in auto mode + traffic, the DCT jerky jumping made me feel like
14 years old just learning to drive a stick. Not very sophisticated v PDK IMO.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:25 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M6 is a great, impressive car, but feels heavy all the time (because it is heavy). So it's a great car, very different in driving experience from the 991. Your choice, of course, both are great cars, one is a sport car, the other a GT.

Quick Reply: M6 convertible or C4S Cabriolet?