Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 convertible or C4S Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:48 PM
GrayBlack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came from a M5 F10 and the DCT was fantastic, not as jerky as the previous SMG. I would say that the smoothness is up to par with the PDK on my C4S.

To the OP, I attended the 2 day M School and the M6 coupe was my favorite. It had plenty of power and held it's own on the track. I do miss the low end power/torque but the 991 handles like a go kart in comparison. Both are great options!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:02 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interest that the German Auto Motor Sport did a track comparison about 18 months ago. Base 991 against M6 coupe. While M6 appears/is faster on the actual track portion the two cars were even in time on Hockenheim track. I have modded 2012 650 Cab (500+hp/550 ft lbs tourque) as daily driver. It's fun but nothing close in fun to my 991S X51 Cab.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Had a 2013 M3 Limerock DCT.......

Slow speeds in auto mode + traffic, the DCT jerky jumping made me feel like
14 years old just learning to drive a stick. Not very sophisticated v PDK IMO.
Sorry you must have DCT confused with SMG...The DCT is not jerky at all. Perhaps you just didn't have experience driving a DCT to finesse it. I've had a SMG, and now have a DCT in my M5, and it pales in comparison
Old 11-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

This question posed by the OP is fascinating because the 2 cars are on completely two different dimensions. There is absolutely no comparison. I have a F10 M5 and a 991C2S. The M6 is essentially the same as the M5. And YES!, it's very heavy. The M is like a autobahn cruiser. You literally could be doing 110+ sipping a full cup of coffee and think you're doing 70. It's ridiculously fast, refined and quiet in comparison to the 991. The C2S feel slow to me because I have the M5. However, for a visceral driving experience and ultimate steering and handling...The 991 embarrasses the M5
Old 11-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=Pazzo009;10878194]Sorry you must have DCT confused with SMG...The DCT is not jerky at all. Perhaps you just didn't have experience driving a DCT to finesse it. I've had a SMG, and now have a DCT in my M5, and it pales in comparison[/QUOTE

YOU must be confused....2013 MY is only the DCT (& manual). FWIW many magazine testers
voiced the same malady.

Perhaps you should try the PDK for a wake up call.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:45 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

+1 and I used to work for BMW.

That's why I had to throw the curb weight comment in my first response.

2 different cars. We will forgive Jeff because he's a bimmer guy that came in here to secretly admit he was enchanted after driving a C2 with PDK. lol

He had no other choice than to throw a comp package M6 for comparison.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

[QUOTE=Hothonda;10878214]
Originally Posted by Pazzo009
Sorry you must have DCT confused with SMG...The DCT is not jerky at all. Perhaps you just didn't have experience driving a DCT to finesse it. I've had a SMG, and now have a DCT in my M5, and it pales in comparison[/QUOTE

YOU must be confused....2013 MY is only the DCT. FWIW many magazine testers
voiced the same malady.

This is why my buddy had his mouth open the entire time he was driving my car after just getting out of his 2012 M6.

He kept asking how come it's not in neutral and then I select 1st. I told him because the PDK is smarter than you. He laughed and then said where's neutral. I had him pull both paddles towards him. He almost died. It likes giving a rev in N and then dropping the right paddle for a nice quick leap off the line. I should have taken a picture of his smile.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you never encounter a curve id steer clear of the bimmer. 911 all the way.

Former bimmer driver

Last edited by kosmo; 11-03-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Originally Posted by Hothonda
YOU must be confused....2013 MY is only the DCT (& manual). FWIW many magazine testers
voiced the same malady.

I'm not doubting the PDK capabilities and quality. Everything I've heard is that it is better than the DCT. So in that case, I yield...But the DCT is not jerky. I love it and completely satisfied with it. My C2S is 7-speed, ( I wanted something opposite than my M5 and I miss driving Manual) but I don't doubt from what I hear if I drove the PDK it wouldn't impress me.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not doubting the PDK capabilities and quality. Everything I've heard is that it is better than the DCT. So in that case, I yield...But the DCT is not jerky. I love it and completely satisfied with it. My C2S is 7-speed, ( I wanted something opposite than my M5 and I miss driving Manual) but I don't doubt from what I hear if I drove the PDK it wouldn't impress me.
You have the correct color 991 for sure...peace.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

Ha, i'm actually considering going down the same path and getting the best of both worlds. Trade my X5M in for the M5 and then order a C4S...we'll see.

I am for sure a bimmer guy, but i've gone down many other paths over the last 8 years. An Elise, an Exige, the Cayman S (I was a P Car man for a year), then the GT-R. Came back to my love of Ms.

Those that say the M5 or M6 only goes well in a straight line I think are slightly under estimating it. Certainly not a P Car, but its not that far off. Way closer than it used to be. Like another post mentioned lap times differences are really negligible.

This question posed by the OP is fascinating because the 2 cars are on completely two different dimensions. There is absolutely no comparison. I have a F10 M5 and a 991C2S. The M6 is essentially the same as the M5. And YES!, it's very heavy. The M is like a autobahn cruiser. You literally could be doing 110+ sipping a full cup of coffee and think you're doing 70. It's ridiculously fast, refined and quiet in comparison to the 991. The C2S feel slow to me because I have the M5. However, for a visceral driving experience and ultimate steering and handling...The 991 embarrasses the M5
Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM
981WC
Intermediate

I used to be a diehard BMW guy. Then I got a Porsche and switched call signs instantaneously. :thumb up:

I've driven the new M6 and M5 on a track at the BMW Performance Center. And I've driven the 991 on a track at the Auto Club Speedway in LA.

Previous generation M5 and M6, the M5 was much better than the M6... the M6 was very rear-end heavy and lost grip around corners fast. But that switched with the F10. The M6 is better than the M5, but just slightly in my opinion.

That said, the M6 is a grand touring car. The 991 is a sports car. It's that simple. The M6 is fast and luxurious, but also big and bulky and not nearly as confidence inspiring in the corners. Even if the M6 was $80k and the 991 was $120k, I'd take the 991 in a second.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

M5- gag me. After waiting years and skipping a generation after my beloved m5 i was sooo eager to get into a new m.

I could not have been more disappointed.

If you want a sedan get a panny gts.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 PM
triple dipper
1st Gear

Hi all. I'm very very new to this forum stuff and I'm not sure if this will even post when I hit the button, but here goes....I've been driving BMW's for years. Had a '91 E34 custom ordered M5. Brought it in for oil change in '02. Strolled around the showroom while waiting for my car and 4 hours later, I was driving a new E39 M5 home...while the salesman was following me in my custom E34. Bottom line, I loved the cars...they were both beasts in their own right but they weren't "sport cars" In 2009 I sold both and ordered a 2010 MBZ S-class in hopes of giving my lovely wife a break from my neck-jerking aggressive shifting...but in 3 years, I grew bored with it. I still had a need for speed so on June 17th this year, I ordered a very well optioned 2014 991 C4S Cabriolet. It arrived at the port in southern Ca on 10/4. 10 days later I drove it home from the dealer. All I can say is OMG. I drove it over to the BMW dealer to show it to the many friends I've made over there. They too were blown away. Yeah, I miss the "no maintenence" fees and sure, I could have spent a lot less for an M6 than the 160K, but, I doubt seriously if that car could come close to affecting my psyche the way this, "Turtle on steroids" does (as my wife calls it) Every day, I walk into the garage and stare at the most incredible car I've ever owned...I would ask why I didn't do it sooner, but, the best answer I can give myself is this 3300 pound 400 hp monster was just a well kept secret. Thanks for letting me rant...it was therapeutic!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Anyone who compares the attributes of a M5 or an M6 to a 911 is an automotive fool. Sorry, but that has to be acknowledged here. There is absolutely no comparison between the two cars. It's like comparing a Cheetah to Wolf, their capabilities are completely different, but both are still excellent hunters. (the 911 being the Cheetah).

Now for Kosmo...First I want to say I love your quote from Barney Frank, but I really dislike what you said about the M5. Until you own something and spend time with it, you're really in no position to judge it. Getting the feel of a car does not occur in a test drive. It's like being with a women, sometimes a chemistry is cultivated and then it flourishes. Thats how I feel about my M5. Having the 911 makes me appreciate it more because it is so different and satisfies a different aspect of driving. "To each is own" applies here I presume, but the M5 is still an amazing car, unless you expect too much from it. For me, it does everything that I thought and expected it to. Comparing it to the Panny...Fair comparison. However acceleration- AWD vs. RWD?, I guarantee the M5 will persevere up top. Handling, yeah Porsche is usually the best when it comes to that. Looks- in my opinion, the M5 is better looking. Interior- I don't care for the Porsche interior. Price- GTS nicely equipped: $130,000 vs M5: $108,000

I'm not here to be a troll, but since I am in position to judge because I own the two cars the OP questioned, it puts me in a position to give a fair assessment. I hope it helped.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: M6 convertible or C4S Cabriolet?